Movies Everyone Except You Loves

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#21 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,125 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

If The Ladykillers didn't exist, O Brother Where Art Thou would be my least-favorite Coen Brothers film. I sorta kinda enjoy it, but I enjoy the soundtrack better than the film itself. It strains to be wacky, some of its episodes (the Cyclops, for example) feel uninspired, and I feel the Coens found a much better character for Clooney in Intolerable Cruelty.

#22 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather (I) (I love II, just not I).
Juno
North by Northwest
The Squid and the Whale
Igby Goes Down

#23 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

All of the ones that came to mind immediately have been mentioned except - Sicko

Joining in the company of:
Wall-E
American Beauty
Big Fish

In that order.

#24 Andrew Price

Andrew Price

• 59 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

Braveheart.

Gladiator.

Etc.

#25 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Terms of Adul, uh, Endearment

Just watched this awful claptrap with my wife and was totally flummoxed. Who likes this film? Seriously.

Well, it won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Actor. Somebody apparently liked it. God only knows why.

#26 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

Braveheart.

Gladiator.

Etc.

Yep. Definitely. You're certainly not alone there. I'm trying to keep an open mind about Robin Hood, but the teaser-trailer has effectively flatlined my interest in it.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 December 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#27 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to point out that I win, in the sense of being most out of step with mankind at large.

Hey! Get me out of last place. I voted with NBooth for The Princess Bride, that should put us in 13th place. (It's better than last)

I find The Wizard of Oz extremely grating. First and foremost because of the performances, which are all completely bizarre. It starts, I think, with Judy Garland, who at 17 is playing a character who was about 8 in the original story. Consequently, there is no way she can make her part believable (or even recognizable as a human being) and doesn't even try. Everyone else, having actual fantasy characters to play, feels they have to go beyond her, and the result is a veritable competition in wild, over-the-top, inauthentic, camp "acting". The genre of music is also utterly without appeal to me. Finally, it concludes with the painful it-was-all-a-dream ending (which was not in the book). I know the rest of mankind loves the movie, but I have never for a moment understood why.

Did you see this and make this decision when you were, like, six, or have you had a deprived childhood?

Edited by Persona, 16 December 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#28 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

I find The Wizard of Oz extremely grating. First and foremost because of the performances, which are all completely bizarre. It starts, I think, with Judy Garland, who at 17 is playing a character who was about 8 in the original story. Consequently, there is no way she can make her part believable (or even recognizable as a human being) and doesn't even try. Everyone else, having actual fantasy characters to play, feels they have to go beyond her, and the result is a veritable competition in wild, over-the-top, inauthentic, camp "acting". The genre of music is also utterly without appeal to me. Finally, it concludes with the painful it-was-all-a-dream ending (which was not in the book). I know the rest of mankind loves the movie, but I have never for a moment understood why.

Sure. But it has flying monkeys. This alone vindicates the greatness of the movie.

#29 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

I had no love for Slumdog Millionaire.

#30 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

Good call on Slumdog. An awful film right down to its totally irrelevant dutch angles.

#31 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Amen.

This is the most self-negating thread ever.

#32 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

I'm trying to keep an open mind about Robin Hood, but the teaser-trailer has effectively flatlined my interest in it.

What's so terrible about the trailer is ... the title. It looks like a trailer for anything but Robin Hood. Every shot seems to proclaim "We've never heard of Robin Hood and have no idea whatsoever what a movie called Robin Hood should be like!"

#33 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

I spoke with Stephen Lawhead about this recently. I asked him what he thought about the slow rollout of the movie. He just shook his head and said something along the lines of, "You know, you'd think that, if they wanted to make a movie about the 'historical Robin Hood', they'd talk to the experts on that subject. I've been researching this for several years. Why don't they call me?" (Don't get me wrong: He said this very humbly, and I couldn't help but agree with him.)

#34 SDG

SDG

• 8,996 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

I'd like to point out that I win, in the sense of being most out of step with mankind at large.

Only on the basis of low statistical sampling. You managed to hate the one most universally loved movie, but I contributed four titles to your list of 23. Still, I'm a distant second to benchwarmer, who has five titles to my four, with three titles more popular than any of mine, and whose #4 and #5 picks are more popular than my #3 and #4, respectively.

I spoke with Stephen Lawhead about this recently. I asked him what he thought about the slow rollout of the movie. He just shook his head and said something along the lines of, "You know, you'd think that, if they wanted to make a movie about the 'historical Robin Hood', they'd talk to the experts on that subject. I've been researching this for several years. Why don't they call me?" (Don't get me wrong: He said this very humbly, and I couldn't help but agree with him.)

I predict this movie is going to be about as apropos of the "historical Robin Hood" as Fuqua's King Arthur was of the "historical King Arthur."

#35 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,190 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

Moulin Rouge

Matt

#36 SDG

SDG

• 8,996 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

Moulin Rouge

Brilliant, deprive me of one of my unique contributions why don't you. ;)

#37 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

There was a historical King Arthur?

#38 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,423 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Here's a big one: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. A film of remarkable technical accomplishment, but otherwise, isn't all that. The Coens have gotten away with cheating the audience of payoff elsewhere, but here it's a wrongheaded move that deflates what could have been a masterpiece.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 December 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#39 Persona

Persona

• 7,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

Truly spoken by a fellow believer who really wanted to see There Will Be Blood get the Oscar win.

(Personally, I thought they should have tied.) :)

#40 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Terms of Adul, uh, Endearment

Just watched this awful claptrap with my wife and was totally flummoxed. Who likes this film? Seriously.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

I think most people who say they like that movie are only remembering the soundtrack.