Photo

Nominations for the 2011 A&F 100

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

Ryan: No animation? No John Ford?? Didn't you learn anything from last year's debacle?!

I kid.

But seriously, you gotta get There Will Be Blood off that list. ;) [That "But seriously" was not serious...]

#42 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'm hoping we'll do a pre-vote on which films get to be voted on from directors who have more than three on the current list. I believe there's enough support in the "three per director" rule, but if not, let's hear other opinions. Once we establish that we're actually going to have this as a rule, then we can decide how to separate the three from the ones that'll be left off.

Wouldn't we just separate the three by selecting the three with the top scores from the main vote and reject the rest? I don't necessarily see the need for a "pre-vote."

Before I answer that, I'll need to look at the list to determine whether the top three are the right three.

#43 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,248 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

- Rhapsody in August - criminally neglected Kurosawa film, his penultimate (I love that word)

- something, anything by Miyazaki! - maybe Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke

- Troubled Water - I've watched it three times this year, and it still takes my breath away

- The End of Summer - maybe I'm being nitpicky, but I prefer this Ozu to An Autumn Afternoon

- Tampopo - just kidding, though it's a very funny movie.

#44 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

We gotta somehow find a way to get this Ozu guy off the list. Maybe I need to see more of those films so I can vote him down.

#45 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,545 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

Ryan: No animation? No John Ford?? Didn't you learn anything from last year's debacle?!

Listen. We need some variety on the list, on that you and I can agree. I think almost every one of the films on my list would bring something to the list that isn't there right now. As far as animation is concerned, I'm only pulling for FANTASIA to make it, and I despair that it ever will, so I'd rather nominate something else in its stead. As far as John Ford goes, I'll take Leone over Ford every day of the week, but sometimes you just gotta make calls; no matter how much I plead and beg, no way is this group putting ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST or ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA up there.

Nevertheless, with BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, VERTIGO, SUNSET BOULEVARD, and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, there are enough great Hollywood films on my list.

But seriously, you gotta get There Will Be Blood off that list.

Them's be fightin' words.

Edited by Ryan H., 27 September 2010 - 05:20 AM.

#46 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,748 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Dumping post for stuff I want to remember to nominate (and haven't checked yet to see if anyone else has already nominated):

• Pieces of April
  • Night of the Hunter
  • Gandhi
  • Le Samourai
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • The Proposition
  • Stray Dog
  • Kolya
  • The 400 Blows
  • The Remains of the Day
  • The Nun's Story
  • The Third Man

#47 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,545 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

Dumping post for stuff I want to remember to nominate (and haven't checked yet to see if anyone else has already nominated):

• Pieces of April
  • Night of the Hunter
  • Gandhi
  • Le Samourai
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • The Proposition
  • Stray Dog
  • Kolya
  • The 400 Blows
  • The Remains of the Day
  • The Nun's Story
  • The Third Man

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER has been nominated and seconded. I'm not sure about any of the others.