Photo

Home Theater Equipment for $500

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

The price in the Subject line is ballpark, but I can't go much higher. Here's the deal: My Sony surround-sound receiver, purchased in the early 1990s (!), is faltering. Speaker connections are going, as is the video connection. I may to be able to fix these with new speaker wire and a new video connector. Wouldn't that be nice and inexpensive? But I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the receiver itself, and that soon, I'll have to upgrade.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, or, to be more specific, don't want to spend a lot on a new receiver. But looking at the Sunday circulars in the newspaper, I discover that certain home-theater packages that include a receiver, speakers, and in some cases, even a DVD player (Blu-ray!), can be had for under $1,000. I'd like wireless rear speakers.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent receiver/speaker combo for a basement home theater that's really just a TV room? We have a 32-inch HDTV, recently inherited from my brother. It is NOT a flat-panel and sits in an entertainment center.

#2 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 882 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

i'd start by exploring your craigslist options. I pieced my system together that way and for a total of $300 obtained a system worth at least twice that amount.

I don't usually dig the home theater in a box systems, but if you go that route, you'll save a bundle buying refurbished online. tigerdirect is one good resource.

Edited by Holy Moly!, 29 July 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Tigerdirect? Never heard of it. Thanks. I'll check it out.

#4 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,734 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

My good fortune was Circuit City going out of business when I wanted a new receiver and a Bluray. I got the TV from BHPhotovideo.com, they may have good prices to.

I think the craigslist suggestion is right on--maybe you have some folks nearby that are itching to get the newest, newest, and you can pick yourself up a nice Onkyo receiver for 1/3 the list.

#5 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,734 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

For example, this one is what I have (or very similar).

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Dude. Don't do that to me! I'm not quite ready to make a purchase. Have to negotiate with the wife, maybe buy those speaker wires first to confirm that the problem isn't just in the wires.

But thanks for demonstrating the kind of deals available on Craig's List. My wife lists things there regularly, and buys things off the list every once in a while.

#7 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

I would explore any and all alternatives to Craigslist's, given its well-known associations with human trafficking. And there are alternatives.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

Why ya gotta do me like dat, d.?

#9 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,734 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Craiglist and human trafficking? Sounds like something I would want to learn more about AFTER I upgraded to a new receiver. /black humor.

#10 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

As long as you aren't in a hurry, scour Best Buy for open box/returned items from time to time. I got this receiver for $150. Then I went to Cambridge Soundworks website and picked up some decent main and surround speakers on clearance. And then I found a clearance Polk subwoofer somewhere, but I can't remember where. J&R maybe?. All told I came in just under $500. But my rear speakers are NOT wireless. That sounds sweet!

Hooked it up to my Mac Mini which I use as our TV receiver with an Elgato EyeTV set-up. Use an iLink digital cable from the computer to receiver to get surround sound.

I still can't bring myself to buy a BluRay player. I don't have a huge TV (26") so I figure most of the benefit would be lost to me. HD movies from iTunes is plenty.

But I will say if you have the choice to listen to Dobly or DTS, DTS audio has sounded better every time I've tried it.

Joe

#11 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I hate to say it, joe, but I can see a big, big difference with Blu-Ray on my 27" flat panel (digital).

You are probably right. My typical viewing distance is about 8-10' and my TV is native 720p. I just can't imagine 1080i or p being that discernible with those parameters. But I could be wrong. I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 with TV signals. But maybe movies are different. And maybe it is the computer interface.

And maybe it is my cheap ass self regarding what I am willing to spend on a TV. I still can't bring myself to spend more than $250 on a TV. It's a TV for goodness sake! Although HD has made me a fan again. I was about to dump the TV altogether. I have dropped cable.

I wouldn't use an iMac for a TV. Not that it wouldn't be convenient. But I've noticed computer monitors, as sharp as they are from a typical desk working distance, start to wash out slightly at 8'. Still not too bad and work great in a pinch and no doubt which model you have makes a difference.

The biggest problem I had when I used a computer monitor LCD for my display, however, was viewing angle. When I sit on the floor to watch TV (and I do that a lot), there can be a severe adverse affect. I also noticed it with some cheaper LCD TVs, so I had to view the prospective new TV from all possible angles to make sure that didn't happen. Vertical viewing angle variations seem to have a lower tolerance.

Joe

#12 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'm probably the only person interested here, but being a low budget, DIY builder/modifier (I built my own tube guitar amp and I recently got the schematics for a McIntosh amp), deal scrounging, tech geek, I wanna know. What did you end up doing?

Joe

#13 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Nothing yet. Replaced a speaker cord, which fixed one problem, but am having problems with a video connector, too. I just shake it a little until the problem goes away.

#14 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

I just shake it a little until the problem goes away.

There's a life lesson in there somewhere.

Joe