Concerning the present seasonal transition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Effusive comment expressing my feelings about the slide of one season into another. Concomitant indication of my soon-to-be-consummated desire to partake in my favorite seasonal food item. Mention of impending changes in weather-appropriate attire and my timetable of planned adjustments thereto. My incredulity at the swift passage of the previous season and the looming approach of certain holidays. Bold defiance of upcoming season's least desirable aspects. A parting benediction.

#2 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

I'd love to say that I welcome the autumnal change, but it was 113 degrees here (Los Angeles) on Monday. Doesn't conjure up images of roasting turkey, yams, or homemade breads. In fact, I don't want to turn on the oven when it's that hot outside.

#3 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

A parting benediction.

Why tank yoo! :)

It is raining household pets here in Maryland today, so autumn was the occasion of purchasing an overpriced and obviously flimsy umbrella. Forethought, how I wish I knew thee...

#4 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

Nebraska's weather is notoriously mercurial. One day, it can be in the 30s and rainy, the next bright and sunny in the 80s. That being said, fall is slowly but surely settling in around Lincoln, though the trees have yet to really change.

Over the weekend, however, we were in Wyoming, where autumn is in full swing. The sight of mountain aspens turning yellow and gold against beautiful blue skies was absolutely breathtaking, and confirmed yet again that autumn is my favorite season. For example:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by opus, 30 September 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

I LOVE this time. The football (usually). The clothes. The food. The bracing fresh breeze in the face. At some point soon, I hope. Weekend after this, I'm headed up to Charlevoix (ring finger at 9 o'clock on said finger of the Michigan mitten) to see my brother. We're hoping Fall to be in close to full swing at that point, or maybe the UP (upper/other peninsula). He's only 3 weeks from first snow fall up there at that point. Almost nothing changing down here. 55 degrees at dawn. I've yet to really need a coat or warm shirt.

#6 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

No sweater weather emoticon.

#7 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Autumn in western Pennsylvania is very Norman Rockwell: lovely colors, beautiful weather, smiling faces (unless they're pissed about their high school football team losing). It's especially so this year; my wife and I live on the third floor of a century plus-old house, and we get to watch the leaves turn and fall first hand.

But man, have we had some unseasonably warm days. The past few weeks has seen a see-saw between days in the high 50s and days in the low 90s. That's not normal. And the weather also caused an abnormal amount of these guys. If you're not familiar with them, trust me — ick.

#8 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I'm with Rich. Football. Baking chocolate chip cookies and slow-cooking chili with the kids. Jackets = More pockets. Horror movies. Hay rides. Clammy weather and fun fog. Pumpkins. Pumpkin pie.

Tonight I'm making my first pumpkin pie. We already did the chocolate chip cookies earlier in the week. Tomorrow my house church is being interviewed in the service for their work with refugees here in the past year (I've been gone for a lot of that but I'm so proud of the group I put together here), and then I'm watching the Bears go to 5-1, and hanging out with the kids this weekend.