Adding a Top 10 List?

51 replies to this topic

#21 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

There is certainly enough feeling in the community that the top 100 list could be improved to justify doing it again in 2011.

Maybe after that we go to every two years?

#22 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,385 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

There is certainly enough feeling in the community that the top 100 list could be improved to justify doing it again in 2011.

Very much agreed.

Maybe after that we go to every two years?

Sounds good to me.

#23 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

I like the idea of the top 100 list being updated every 2-3 years. I think a revised list of 100 films every year will be a little overwhelming and also waters down the list itself - if we're presenting a top 100 list, why would it change so often?

How often are the AFI lists updated?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be tweaked, but I don't think it's a great idea to do so yearly.

#24 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,641 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Horror would be good, but I'd probably abstain since I don't have a great appreciation of the genre.

Other suggestions: Top 4 Jesus movies (since there are 4 canonical gospels). On this I think the debate over Last Temptation and/or TPOTC would be worth the price. I'd be willing to say if one gets in the other gets it as a balance.

Top Kid movies. Which one Miyazaki would we include? What are the criteria for a good kid's movie.

Best films for All Saints Day.

Best Buddhist Films (I really want to find a place where we recognize Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring.)

Best Films about Aging

#25 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Horror would be good, but I'd probably abstain since I don't have a great appreciation of the genre.

Other suggestions: Top 4 Jesus movies (since there are 4 canonical gospels). On this I think the debate over Last Temptation and/or TPOTC would be worth the price. I'd be willing to say if one gets in the other gets it as a balance.

Top Kid movies. Which one Miyazaki would we include? What are the criteria for a good kid's movie.

Best films for All Saints Day.

Best Buddhist Films (I really want to find a place where we recognize Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring.)

Best Films about Aging

I really like your suggestions.

'Best Buddhist Films' - I really need to see 'Spring...' It would be great, too, if a list such as this got more people to see Juzo Itami's 'Diabyonin (Last Dance).'

#26 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,385 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I would hope, though, that you would nevertheless participate in the discussion. Part of the benefit in doing such a list would be to cultivate an appreciation for the genre, or rather, to decide what's worth appreciating in that genre. I'm interested in exploring the tension between what is a genuinely rich, compelling horror film and one that's really just an exercise in exploitation. Which horror films genuinely pull us into a conversation? That there are very many well-made horror films, in the sense that they're made with remarkable craft and effectively elicit a feeling of terror, cannot necessarily be argued. But even so, is REPULSION, a work of very fine craftsmanship, genuinely a film worth celebrating? What about PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK? It is perhaps easier to support those horror films that have clear, discernible moral cores; FRANKENSTEIN, for example, has at its center moral and philosophical questions that continue to resonate very loudly today, but there are many horror films that are murkier affairs that are more exercises in mood than with ideas. Can we, as a community of faith, claim those as valuable? What is the place of the nightmare in a Christian conception of art, if we can even say there is one?

Quite intriguing, but I don't know that I've seen any films that I would genuinely qualify as "Buddhist" (I haven't seen SPRING, SUMMER, FALL, WINTER . . . AND SPRING).

Edited by Ryan H., 08 November 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#27 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,215 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I'm pretty interested in getting this thing going. I see Darrel's comment about not really knowing enough about it to "contribute," but you know if we take some time with this, than I wonder if some members who aren't really horror enthusiasts might find some discussions that would kindle an interest in a film or two on the list. Is there another step we need to take to make the discussion of a Top 10 Horror Films list "official"?

#28 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

Seems like a consensus for doing the Top 100 list in 2011 and every two years after that.

Should we get more nominations for Top 10/20/25 lists out before voting on which of those lists we like best?

Darrel had some new list possibilities that sounded interesting and I'm not sure we've tossed out enough possibilities yet.

#29 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

I think every year is too much. Even if I'm not that fond of the current edition, how much has changed (either in the films available or the makeup of the voters)? Any real change would probably come from tweaking the process.

Top 10's in some category could make a nice filler in the in between years.

wholeheartedly agree with the above.

List ideas:

I like the Horror idea.

And Children's films...in fact I think there was a thread about that a year or so ago and people got pretty into it.
I'd love to see Sci-Fi too.

Best (timeless) Political Films
Top Ten Films as Parables
Top Ten Directors (of spiritually significant film)
Best Documentaries
Top Ten Films about Marriage
Top Ten Films by Continent (especially Africa, Asia, South America)

#30 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,385 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

I like the Horror idea.

Cheers.

And Children's films...in fact I think there was a thread about that a year or so ago and people got pretty into it.

My only fear would be that Pixar would dominate. And that might not be a problem in other folks' eyes, but I don't think Pixar is God's gift to children's cinema, so it's a problem in my eyes. :P

I'd love to see Sci-Fi too.

Not a bad idea by any stretch. It would be interesting to see if we could get beyond the usual suspects and dig up some genuine gems. The sci-fi genre hasn't received the best treatment on film, but there are certainly some worthy ideas.

How would we define "political" films?

Couldn't this just be extrapolated from the A&F 100?

Top Ten Films about Marriage

Oh, I really like this suggestion.

#31 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,641 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

My only fear would be that Pixar would dominate. And that might not be a problem in other folks' eyes, but I don't think Pixar is God's gift to children's cinema, so it's a problem in my eyes. :P

Pixar makes children's films?

#32 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,385 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Pixar makes children's films?

If I hadn't already used the tongue smiley, I'd use it again right now.

#33 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Making it a top 25 would add some balance. But even if it were just a top 10 we might be surprised. I'm sure Miyazaki would find his way on there and there are plenty of non-animated films to challenge Pixar. For example, The Red Balloon.

How would we define "political" films?

You're right, this one would probably get bogged down in debates about definition. I'm just brainstorming here, throwing out ideas.

Couldn't this just be extrapolated from the A&F 100?

Yep, you're right. Not the best idea.

#34 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,385 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

Making it a top 25 would add some balance. But even if it were just a top 10 we might be surprised. I'm sure Miyazaki would find his way on there and there are plenty of non-animated films to challenge Pixar. For example, The Red Balloon.

True, true. It might even out.

I'm just brainstorming here, throwing out ideas.

Of course. And, as I said, I really like the "Best Films About Marriage" idea, which could go in many directions.

#35 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,033 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Arts & Faith's making a number of official Top 10/25 lists on different important topics sounds fantastic.

If we do do this, in the spirit of C.S. Lewis, I'd suggest we make a Top 10 list of films on Sehnsucht.

#36 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

If we do do this, in the spirit of C.S. Lewis, I'd suggest we make a Top 10 list of films on Sehnsucht.

I second the motion.

#37 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,385 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

I daresay it would definitely suit the A&F community sensibilities.

Edited by Ryan H., 16 November 2010 - 06:36 AM.

#38 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

Arts & Faith's making a number of official Top 10/25 lists on different important topics sounds fantastic.

I love this idea, but I think we already do it.

#39 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

I love this idea, but I think we already do it.

Are you saying that everything on the A+F Top 100 list is about Sehnsucht? If not, how do we already do it? If you're saying that the idea of Sehnsucht permeates most conversations around here, I'll agree but part of the benefit of list-making is the crystallization process that leaves something definite and concise for others to see.

#40 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Are you saying that everything on the A+F Top 100 list is about Sehnsucht?

Yeah, that is what I'm saying. Certain films in particular, but most of the Top 20 (three or four of which I still need to see). I didn't look at your link and it's been years since I've used the word, but from what I remember it seems that this is a high qualifier that goes along with words like "mystery" and "spiritual." I like your word a lot better than "spiritual" though, in terms of how I think of the list.

Reply to this topic