• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Ebert's top 10 foreign films for 2010 films for 2010

Is he not counting I AM LOVE? If I recall, it made it into his actual top 10. Or is he just picking his top ten foreign films that didn't already make it into his top ten?

#62 Christian

Christian

• 10,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Dana Stevens

#63 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:19 AM

Ebert's top 10 foreign films for 2010 films for 2010

Is he not counting I AM LOVE? If I recall, it made it into his actual top 10. Or is he just picking his top ten foreign films that didn't already make it into his top ten?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. The Secret in their Eyes was the other noticeable absentee.

#64 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Brandon Fibbs

#65 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,280 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Quentin Tarantino.

Man oh man, do I want to hear his commentary on his top ten! Particularly because of one particular selection that pleases me tremendously...

#66 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,280 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

The big happy surprises of the OFCS awards for 2010? Hailee Steinfeld for Best Supporting Actress, and Roger Deakins for Best Cinematography.

#67 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Writers Guild nominees.

Original Screenplay
Black Swan (Mark Heyman, Andres Heinz, John McLaughlin)
The Fighter (Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson, Keith Dorrington)
Inception (Christopher Nolan)
The Kids Are All Right (Stuart Blumberg & Lisa Cholodenko)
Please Give (Nicole Holofcener)

Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours (Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy)
I Love You Phillip Morris (John Requa & Glenn Ficarra)
The Social Network (Aaron Sorkin)
The Town (Ben Affleck, Peter Craig, Aaron Stockard)
True Grit (Joel Coen and Ethan Coen)

Documentary Screenplay
Enemies of the People (Rob Lemkin & Thet Sambath)
Freedom Riders (Stanley Nelson)
Gasland (Josh Fox)
Inside Job (Charles Ferguson, Chad Beck, Adam Bolt)
The Two Escobars (Michael Zimbalist, Jeff Zimbalist)

Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everybody Talkin’ About Him)? (John Scheinfeld)

Edited by Tyler, 05 January 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#68 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,280 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Dan Kois in Slate's Film Club:

... which brings me to my film of the year, a movie so wonderful in every way it boggles my mind: Toy Story 3. Matt pointed out, in video form, how great that jaw-dropping scene in the furnace was. But the scene that got me every time—the one I'll never forget—happens after that.

The toys have returned home safe from their epic journey, and upstairs, Andy's mom (Laurie Metcalf) walks through the door, nattering on about all the things that need to get done before Andy can leave for college. And then she sees her son's room, its bare walls, and her hand touches her heart, and she says, "Oh." And then I cry. This is a character, mind you, so unimportant to Toy Story that never in three movies has she been given a name. She is "Andy's Mom." And yet, watching an animated movie, a sequel, starring a bunch of talking toys—I weep, instantly, without shame, all four times I've watched it. To quote our hostess, Dana: "Shit—now I'm crying again."

#69 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,057 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

Roger Ebert's picks for the year's best documentaries.

He misses two of my favorites: Waste Land (which I think he hasn't reviewed and my not have seen) and Babies (which he did review, rating an indulgent three stars).

I am scratching my head over his last line of his last paragraph on Last Train Home (which I saw and liked):

Chinese peasants no longer live without television and a vision of another world. They no longer live in a country without consumer luxuries. "Last Train Home" suggests that the times they are a-changin'. The rulers of China may someday regret that they distributed the works of Marx so generously.

Any insight into that last sentence?

#70 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Roger Ebert's picks for the year's best documentaries.

Very cool that he lists 45365 and Vincent: A Life in Color among his favorites. I wonder whether either of those will ever come to DVD. I've seen Vincent many times around the downtown Chicago area. He's great fun, a self-made one man party guy who always gets everyone cheering and jeering.

And I once lived in Sidney, Ohio -- and have chosen to forget much of that experience.

#71 Christian

Christian

• 10,891 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Crosswalk

EDIT: The article concludes with this, which emphasizes the family-friendly angle of the list:

2010 is the first time since 2006 that an animated movie doesn't occupy Crosswalk's top spot, and is the first time since 2005 that a Pixar film didn't crack our Top 4. So perhaps it seems a little strange that I'm making the case for '10 being the "Year of the Family Film." But not only did three kid-friendly films crack our Top 10 (Nos. 5, 8, 10 above), there were several more that could have. The aforementioned Nanny McPhee Returns came closest, followed so closely by Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon, an original tale of bravery and seeking first to understand which relies heavily on the tried-and-true father-and-son-are-opposites archetype.

Also getting nods from some of our contributors were Ramona and Beezus, which has now been viewed about 17 times by my 5-year-old daughter, and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. Despite being saddled with possibly the worst title of 2010, this film from the director of 300 and Watchmen is even more visually eye-popping than those were.

There were some good times (and reviews) to be found with Megamind, Shrek 4, Despicable Me, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief… even Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (though I wouldn't recommend taking a child to it—it's very dark, with mature themes—it is based on children's lit).

Of course, simply marketing colorful images and a mostly-clean script to kids and parents doesn't automatically make for a good movie, but that didn't stop studios from trying. The examples above were, if not home runs all, at least base hits. But do watch out for these strikeouts: Alpha and Omega, Gulliver's Travels, Yogi Bear, Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, Marmaduke, The Last Airbender, and Tooth Fairy. Too many solid places to step to settle for those landmines this year.

Edited by Christian, 19 January 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#72 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,474 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Just posted mine.

#73 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

WGA awards: Inception (original), The Social Network (adapted), Inside Job (documentary).

#74 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,280 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Christianity Today's "Top 10 Most Redeeming Films of 2010" features a film I haven't seen on any other list: Like Dandelion Dust.

Edited by Overstreet, 09 February 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#75 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

This is as good a place for this as any. From The Onion:

Library Of Congress Adds 3 Titles To List Of Films That Should Be Destroyed Forever.

#76 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Of Gods and Men and The Ghost Writer were big winners at the Cesar Awards.