Steve Taylor - new music in 2011

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

I did note in the previous Steve Taylor thread that most of his studio catalog is on iTunes. On The Fritz is now complete; I Predict 1990, the 2-disc best-of Now The Truth Can Be Told*, and the eponymous Chagall Guevara are also available.

If you'd like the Apple DRM-less MP3 versions, Amazon has only five albums to date, plus the Chagall Guevara album. They do not have On The Fritz or Now The Truth Can Be Told.

*All the material on Now The Truth is remastered, so it's up to you if to choose to purchase it. There are four tracks on the compilation that are not available on any other MP3 release:

We Don't Need No Colour Code (Live)
You Don't Owe Me Nothing (Live)
Winter Wonderland (from the 1988 Sparrow Records' Christmas compilation)
Dream In Black and White (Previously Unreleased Demo)
Shark Sandwich (Demo samples of "Guilty by Association", "Good Girl", and "Whatever Happened To Sin?")

Additionally, there are some songs that are B-sides/one-offs on OOP releases from other companies - Sock Heaven has the best discography to date.

Edited by Clint M, 04 January 2011 - 05:10 PM.

#22 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,484 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Not sure where the best place to put this was... Apparently Daniel Johnston's (yes, that Daniel Johnston) niece has made a documentary, Steve Taylor is Not Dead, that is debuting this Saturday in Nashville at Lipscomb University.

Man, I wish I lived in Nashville.

#23 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,621 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, sure, but any updates on the new music?

(Hm. Steve's Facebook update promised "new music in 2011." It didn't promise "new Steve Taylor music." So I guess he's covered, one way or the other. ;)

#24 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 937 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Not sure where the best place to put this was... Apparently Daniel Johnston's (yes, that Daniel Johnston) niece has made a documentary, Steve Taylor is Not Dead, that is debuting this Saturday in Nashville at Lipscomb University.

Man, I wish I lived in Nashville.

The press release also has a link to this web site, which has lots of interesting interview segments, etc. Every time I hear the story of how Word Records and the Nashville machine threw Squint under the bus, my blood boils.

#25 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,802 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Speaking with Steve this morning, I learned that his new album project isn't dead. It was almost entirely recorded, but it was then interrupted by the Blue Like Jazz Kickstarter project, which quickly took over. He's looking forward to going back and finishing it. It features Steve on vocals, Peter Furler on drums, Jimmy Abegg on guitar, and John Mark Painter on bass

#26 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,484 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Speaking with Steve this morning, I learned that his new album project isn't dead. It was almost entirely recorded, but it was then interrupted by the Blue Like Jazz Kickstarter project, which quickly took over. He's looking forward to going back and finishing it. It features Steve on vocals, Peter Furler on drums, Jimmy Abegg on guitar, and John Mark Painter on bass

That's a pretty cool lineup. I really hope we get to hear this (soon).

#27 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 301 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

That's great. I'd love to hear some new Steve Taylor, particularly his biting lyrics (although Derek Webb has filled the void a little).

#28 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,802 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

That's great. I'd love to hear some new Steve Taylor, particularly his biting lyrics (although Derek Webb has filled the void a little).

And he actually mentioned how much he loves Webb's Stockholm Syndrome.

#29 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 937 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Excellent news. Thanks for that!

#30 messiaen77

messiaen77

• 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Good to see the Steve Taylor project is still a go. I've been excited for this since I first heard about it, but like a lot of you said, it may be more a matter of nostalgia than anything else. While I was a fan of his sarcasm and criticism, I think his more thoughtful, subtle songs like Hero and Harder to Believe Than Not To are some of his most powerful songs.