Photo

Cell Phone or Home Phone?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,456 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

We just made the leap from a home line to only having cell phones. After hemming and hawing over the Ooma phone (which is awesome), we just caved in. I think one of the great legacies of the land line is that it equated specific family units with a specific place they called "home." But, whatever.

Has anyone experienced adverse effects from making a similar move?

#2 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,693 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Has anyone experienced adverse effects from making a similar move?

Adverse or not, I can at least share my experience. Over the past several years, our community of friends have all adopted a cell phone-only phone usage. I can honestly say I sometimes wish we had a land line, but there've been no major problems so far. Still, the Wendell Berry-ian part of me wants to chuck my phone in the trash and set up a tin can-and-string phone to all of my friends' homes. Costs less.

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

I agree with you about the legacy of the land line being in a place a family calls "home." However, I don't think I've had a land line in six years at least. I don't know whether this will be suitable when the kids get a little older, but for now, we haven't missed it at all.

#4 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Neither: Go with Google Voice, and you can coordinate it among ALL your cell phones, landlines, work lines, etc.

#5 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,746 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I just cut off my land line two weeks ago. It had climbed to near $80 per month and that's a lot of money to fork out every month just so telemarketers can call me at dinner.

#6 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,724 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Cell phone only since 2004. No issues, but I've never had to call 911 while incapacitated.

[/knocks wood]

#7 Christian

Christian

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

I'm landline only. Lost my cell phone sometime last week.

#8 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

My wife and I got cellphones shortly before we got married, and the thought of getting a landline never crossed our minds. The lack of a landline hasn't been an issue yet, and I doubt it ever will be.

#9 Russ

Russ

• 1,091 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Every time we talk about cutting that cord, my eleven year-old daughter Ruby frowns. She talks with her friends maybe only four or five times a week, and often that's to set up sleepovers or coordinate meeting up for the school bus, and she thinks she'd fall into communication isolation. We could have her friends and friends' moms call Ali's cell phone, but Ali's cell phone charging and answering habits are, well, spotty. Instead, two absurd undesirable options remain: keeping a landline in part for an eleven year-old or buying a cell phone for an eleven year-old.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,207 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

My longtime resistance is slipping. I may soon need to get a cell phone of my own, for extreme circumstances only. (Travel, for instance.) But I'll be paying for something I can't afford, most likely. Would someone recommend the best pay-as-you-go option you've seen? I'd use the thing rarely, so....

#11 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,456 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Instead, two absurd undesirable options remain: keeping a landline in part for an eleven year-old or buying a cell phone for an eleven year-old.

How will she know when her friends are going to Sleepaway Camp if they can't text her?

Edited by M. Leary, 31 January 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#12 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

My longtime resistance is slipping. I may soon need to get a cell phone of my own, for extreme circumstances only. (Travel, for instance.) But I'll be paying for something I can't afford, most likely. Would someone recommend the best pay-as-you-go option you've seen? I'd use the thing rarely, so....

When I used pay-as-you-go, I was with Net10, and I was very happy with it, the coverage was great. When you buy minutes they expire after a certain period of time, so you can still calculate the monthly cost. For instance, if you buy 900 minutes, they'll expire after 90 days (so $30/month). Now I'm on their website and it looks like they've also created a $15/month no-contract monthly plan with 200 minutes (that even roll over from month to month!), so if you don't need more minutes than that, and you don't mind getting charged 0.5 minutes per text message sent or received, then this might be your best deal, so long as you're comfortable with the extent of their network (it's good but not as extensive as, say, Verizon).

Edited by David Smedberg, 31 January 2011 - 05:41 PM.