Photo

TIFF 2011

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

I found out last night that I will be making my eighth straight trip to the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Anyone else planning/hoping to go? It's never too early to begin daydreaming and making plans, I say.

#2 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,844 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I found out last night that I will be making my eighth straight trip to the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Anyone else planning/hoping to go? It's never too early to begin daydreaming and making plans, I say.

I plan/hope to make my second attendance this fall.

#3 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

TIFF issued its first major press release yesterday, which means that TIFF season is officially upon us.

#4 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Got official news yesterday that I'm press-accredited for TIFF. Potential interviews (assuming their films are programmed and they show up for press): the Dardennes, Bruno Dumont, Bela Tarr, Hong Sang-soo, Andrei Zvyagintsev, and Bertrand Bonello. And that's just the Cannes crew. I'm sure a couple other favorites will premiere in Venice and Toronto. :)

#5 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Awesome. Mubi again?

#6 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Senses of Cinema, with Mubi as a secondary outlet. The good thing about Senses is that most of the filmmakers I'm interested in interviewing are aware of it. Last year, Guerin really perked up when I mentioned I'd written about one of his earlier films for Senses.

#7 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,429 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

How cool is this church.

#8 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

TIFF announced its first fifty titles a few days ago. Currently sitting in my Top 5 to-see list:

Melancholia -- Lars von Trier
A Dangerous Method -- David Cronenberg, France
Shame -- Steve McQueen, UK
Woman in the Fifth -- Pawel Pawlikowski, France/Poland/United Kingdom
Martha Marcy May Marlene -- Sean Durkin, USA

There are also quite a few major releases that I'm looking forward to seeing, though not at TIFF:

The Ides of March -- George Clooney, USA
Take this Waltz -- Sarah Polley, Canada
Moneyball -- Bennett Miller, USA

#9 Anders

Anders

• 2,844 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

TIFF announced its first fifty titles a few days ago. Currently sitting in my Top 5 to-see list:

Melancholia -- Lars von Trier
A Dangerous Method -- David Cronenberg, France
Shame -- Steve McQueen, UK
Woman in the Fifth -- Pawel Pawlikowski, France/Poland/United Kingdom
Martha Marcy May Marlene -- Sean Durkin, USA

There are also quite a few major releases that I'm looking forward to seeing, though not at TIFF:

The Ides of March -- George Clooney, USA
Take this Waltz -- Sarah Polley, Canada
Moneyball -- Bennett Miller, USA

Your top three might be mine as well. I imagine this will be a good year for Mr. Fassbender.

#10 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 231 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

It turns out that Thomas and I will be in Toronto for part of the festival. We won't have much time as we're visiting family (which should be the subject of another post :)) but how hard is it to get tickets for specific films? Any other tips for possible newbies?

#11 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,006 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

It turns out that Thomas and I will be in Toronto for part of the festival. We won't have much time as we're visiting family (which should be the subject of another post :)) but how hard is it to get tickets for specific films? Any other tips for possible newbies?

Deb, it depends on the film. Individual tickets go on sale September 3 (before that you have to buy a package). A lot depends on the venue, too...when looking at the schedule (not yet out), make sure to look at WHERE it is playing. The ELGIN and the RYERSON are huge as is Theater 1 in the Varsity. (Most in ScotiaBank are fairly large, too.) Some filmgoers will not go to particular theaters, but if your goal is to see the film, these are the ones with lots of space.

If a show you want to see is sold out there is usually lots of places for ticket exchanges/scalpers at TIFFREVIEWS.com under "forum." Best thing, though, is to go ONLINE to the box office exactly at 8:00 a.m. on the day of the screening, since that is when tickets held for same day sales are released.

Finally, don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Ken

Edited by kenmorefield, 02 August 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#12 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I wish I could make it. I would love to see MELANCHOLIA, TWIXT, THE ARTIST, A DANGEROUS METHOD, and DRIVE.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,073 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Deb -

You're in for a treat - I went in 2007 and had a fantastic time - great people, fantastic city to walk in and eat my way through, Q&A with directors/actors/former presidents (well, one former prez, anyway). You might want to check out this guy's website for some pointers: http://1stthursday.blogspot.com/

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,863 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Andrew wrote:
: . . . fantastic city . . .

Wow. Maybe it's just my Canadian perspective, but it always surprises me to hear people praise Toronto. (For more on that, see our thread on the 2007 documentary Let's All Hate Toronto.)

#15 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,572 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

I'm always a bit amazed no one ever talks about Montreal festival - I loved it. Good films and it's in Montreal!

#16 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,073 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Andrew wrote:

Wow. Maybe it's just my Canadian perspective, but it always surprises me to hear people praise Toronto. (For more on that, see our thread on the 2007 documentary Let's All Hate Toronto.)

I'm sure Vancouver has some good things going for it, too...

#17 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 495 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

I'm always a bit amazed no one ever talks about Montreal festival - I loved it. Good films and it's in Montreal!

Just curious, Darrel, which festival in particular? I think there are 2-3 semi-major ones running every year now.

Edited by N.W. Douglas, 02 August 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#18 Anders

Anders

• 2,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Andrew wrote:

Yeah, I used to feel the same way. Growing up out west (Saskatchewan, spent a year at grad school in Victoria) I always dismissed Toronto. But you know what? I've grown to enjoy it. My brother and his wife live just off Bloor St. near the U of T, and the few times I've visited I've had a great time. TIFF last year was fantastic. I'm not surprised that visitors love Toronto. Just makes me wonder what they'd say if they visited the rest of Canada (I love the city of Vancouver maybe even more than Toronto).

Edited by Anders, 02 August 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#19 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

I love Toronto, but that's because I've only had idealized experiences of it. I only go there in early September, when temps are in the 70s, the skies are blue, and everyone in the city is a cinephile. Heaven!

#20 Anders

Anders

• 2,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

I love Toronto, but that's because I've only had idealized experiences of it. I only go there in early September, when temps are in the 70s, the skies are blue, and everyone in the city is a cinephile. Heaven!

How could anyone not love it!?