Photo

Arthur & Lancelot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,293 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Links to our threads on Lancelot du Lac (1974), Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), King Arthur (2004), The Last Legion (2007), Merlin (2008-2009), Camelot (2011) and the in-development Caliber, Excalibur, Roundtable, Pendragon, The Lost Years of Merlin, Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie and Working Title's modernized Merlin movie.

- - -

Warner Bros Buys David Dobkin's 'Arthur & Lancelot' For $2 Million
EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has locked a deal to acquire the David Dobkin spec script Arthur & Lancelot for $2 million in a bidding war that involved Universal and Fox. Script is a $90 million budget contemporary re-imagining of the classic tale. Dobkin will direct, and he just completed the Universal comedy The Change-Up. . . . When a studio puts up that kind of money like was done for the Dobkin project, you can bet that is the one that takes precedence and you can expect the others to fade away.
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, June 17

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

Mike Fleming @ Deadline.com reports that the film now has a release date of March 15, 2013.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Hey, guess what! Director Dobkin says the film will be "edgy and dark"! No kidding! I've never heard of anyone saying that before, have you?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 04 August 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#4 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,925 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hey, guess what! Director Dobkin says the film will be "edgy and dark"! No kidding! I've never heard of anyone saying that before, have you?

Sounds like that Fraggle movie Cory Edwards was working on.

#5 Rachel Anne

Rachel Anne

• 683 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

A dark version of Lancelot and Arthur? Now that would be new. Generally the story of the infidelity of Guinevere and the breakup of the roundtable is treated as a light-hearted romp. What will they think of next? How about a sequel where they make Mordred a villain? I'm telling you, these edgy and dark creative geniuses really just bring such new life to old stories.

Edited by bowen, 08 August 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#6 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,844 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Gee, I hope there'll be some big explosions and maybe some aliens! Also, Guenevere should wear armor and fight a dragon. In a zeppelin. Oh--sorry--just saw that Three Musketeers preview again.

#7 Lauren Wilford

Lauren Wilford

Working on my backwards walk.

• 90 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I hope it's great or that it's awful and no one remembers it. Otherwise, it'll put a hitch in my plan to adapt the second half of "The Once and Future King" into a decent flick.

#8 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,844 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

... my plan to adapt the second half of "The Once and Future King" into a decent flick.

If you can do that, Lauren, I will support you 100%--at least with all the positive publicity at my command (not much, to tell the truth, but fervent).

#9 Lauren Wilford

Lauren Wilford

• 90 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:13 AM

:) It's a lifelong ambition. We'll see. As long as they keep making crappy Arthur movies and as long as people are still seeing them, there's a place in the market for a good Lancelot one down the line.

#10 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

Gee, I hope there'll be some big explosions and maybe some aliens! Also, Guenevere should wear armor and fight a dragon. In a zeppelin. Oh--sorry--just saw that Three Musketeers preview again.

Wait...what about a chain mail bikini to attract the all powerful 18-30 male crowd?

#11 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,015 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

I hope it's great or that it's awful and no one remembers it. Otherwise, it'll put a hitch in my plan to adapt the second half of "The Once and Future King" into a decent flick.

It's a lifelong ambition. We'll see. As long as they keep making crappy Arthur movies and as long as people are still seeing them, there's a place in the market for a good Lancelot one down the line.

Only the second half? Why not the whole thing? The Once and Future King could use Lord of the Rings treatment on film as far as I'm concerned. The Arthurian legend was one of the inspirations for Tolkien in the first place. The Sword in the Stone gives Merlin some of his best lines - and solidifies the philosophy behind what Arthur is trying to do in the next three books. And Queen of Air and Darkness makes the four Orkney brothers in the important characters they need to be for the second half.

#12 Lauren Wilford

Lauren Wilford

• 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

It's a lifelong ambition. We'll see. As long as they keep making crappy Arthur movies and as long as people are still seeing them, there's a place in the market for a good Lancelot one down the line.

Only the second half? Why not the whole thing? The Once and Future King could use Lord of the Rings treatment on film as far as I'm concerned. The Arthurian legend was one of the inspirations for Tolkien in the first place. The Sword in the Stone gives Merlin some of his best lines - and solidifies the philosophy behind what Arthur is trying to do in the next three books. And Queen of Air and Darkness makes the four Orkney brothers in the important characters they need to be for the second half.

Oh, you're absolutely right. A trilogy or 4-parter would be ideal-- I just figured if I only had one shot I'd get the Ill-Made Knight in there :).

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

And as Merlin... Gary Oldman?

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

And as Morgana... Marion Cotillard?

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

‘Arthur & Lancelot’ In Warner Bros Budget Crisis: Projected $130M Cost Too High
EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures’ Paradise Lost isn’t the only film being readied on the Warner Bros lot to face a budget crisis. Arthur & Lancelot, the David Dobkin script that Warner Bros paid $2 million to acquire last summer, won’t get made unless the budget drops dramatically. I’m told that even though Warner Bros dated the film for a March 15, 2013 release and cast Game of Thrones’ Kit Harington to play Arthur and The Killing‘s Joel Kinnaman to play Lancelot, the back and forth on budget has gotten to the point that the studio has invited Dobkin to set the picture up elsewhere if he can. I’ve heard that what started as a $90 million (other sources said Warners would make it for $110 million) contemporary style re-imagining of the Sword And The Stone tale has a budget the studio fears could reach $130 million. The studio feels that is just too much for a movie with two unproven leads. After the year’s wild box office swings and last weekend’s paltry performance, who can blame Warner Bros for being cautious?
It is obviously a Warner Bros goal to tell the story of Arthur, Lancelot and the Knights of the Roundtable, because the Dobkin spec supplanted two others that the studio had in development. The studio is keen to see through Dobkin’s version of the film (the spec deal allowed Dobkin to take it elsewhere if he and Warner Bros disagreed), but I’ve heard that if Arthur & Lancelot doesn’t figure it out, Ritchie might once again be trying to pull the sword out of the stone. . . .
Other Knights Of The Roundtable projects previously considered by WB was a remake of the 1981 John Boorman pic Excalibur that had Bryan Singer attached; there was a version that Sherlock Holmes helmer Guy Ritchie was working on with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge. There is also a Harry Potter-style take being produced by Donald DeLine that isn’t really impacted by any of this. Warner Bros would not comment on the Arthur & Lancelot situation.
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, December 13

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,293 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Colin Farrell in talks for 'Arthur and Lancelot'
David Dobkin is writing and directing the pic, which was expected to go into production in January but wound up postponed due to budget and other concerns. Charles Roven will produce.
At the time Kit Harington was set to play King Arthur and Joel Kinniman was on board to play Lancelot, but when Warners pulled the plug both actors fell out due to scheduling conflicts.
With Farrell the film not only looks to be up and running, but the studio now has a more recognizable star in place. Some sources said the lack of that star was part of the reason Warners was wary about moving forward in January. . . .
Variety, March 14