• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,693 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Christianity Today:

Editor's Note: John Stott died today at 3:15 London time (about 9:15 a.m. CST), according to John Stott Ministries President Benjamin Homan. Homan said that Stott's death came after complications related to old age and that he has been in discomfort for the last several weeks. Family and close friends gathered with Stott today as they listened to Handel's Messiah. Homan said that John Stott Ministries has been preparing for his death for the past 15 years. "I think he set an impeccable example for leaders of ministries of handing things over to other leaders," Homan said. "He imparted to many a love for the global church and imparted a passion for biblical fidelity and a love for the Savior." This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

#2 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

This is really hitting me hard - harder than I thought it would. Of course, Stott has not been well for a while now. But the thought of no new Stott books, no new Stott preaching, fills me with great sadness. The man could open up Scripture like nobody else, with a clarity and a passion that were contagious. I know a lot of people love The Cross of Christ best of his books, or Basic Christianity. But I would sit and read his commentaries on Romans or 2 Timothy and Titus for pleasure - they are that good, that readable, and that electrifying.

The only loss comparable to this in the contemporary Evangelical world will be the death of Billy Graham. These men lived lives of Christian humility, integrity, and fidelity that we rarely ever see in public life.

Rest in peace, John Stott. You will be missed.

#3 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I didn't always like his books. I loved his live teaching and preaching. His series on the Gospel of John at Urbana '70 held the whole convention in its thrall. That Urbana was a very contentious one, but one and all held him in high esteem. It should be said that he was not yet well known at this point. At '73 he signed my Bible cautiously. He was suspicious that having a Jerusalem Bible that I might be Catholic. Things were different then. He absolutely refused to address his autograph to a "Brother" in the Bible of an acquaintance of mine at the time. My friend finally relented after much prodding on my part, ("Hey. Relax. This is JOHN STOTT!").