Terra Nova

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,078 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

Interesting, but it's a poor ratings choice to try and compete with Monday Night Football. If I see it at all, it will only be because I DVR it during the games.

#2 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

I will check it out... if simply because...hey...dinosaurs.

#3 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

It's not bad, so far. Likable cast. The premise is crazy, but after you've totally suspended your disbelief, some intriguing storylines start developing.

#4 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,722 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

I was just thinking the opposite, Beth. It's an intriguing premise, but the storylines so far have been dull. My wish is for a little more tension and conflict--maybe even some creative flash-forwards ala Lost. But this business of Sixers and the guy from Avatar and the boring family from the future is a little too underdeveloped, and not too compelling. I thought, hey, dinosaurs--cool! But so far this show is more Modular House on the 85 million year old Prairie than anything else.

#5 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Last night, the AV Club's Todd Van Der Werff tweeted this about Terra Nova: "Terra Nova was doomed the second they made the central location a safe compound...The problem is that making the central location so safe eliminates the sense of danger inherent in making the show, y'know, exciting." Take that as you will.

#6 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

Last night, the AV Club's Todd Van Der Werff tweeted this about Terra Nova: "Terra Nova was doomed the second they made the central location a safe compound...The problem is that making the central location so safe eliminates the sense of danger inherent in making the show, y'know, exciting." Take that as you will.

Huh. It's not that safe. Did he see the episode with the pterosaurs? In terms of storylines, I wasn't thinking so much about the episode plots but about some longer narrative arcs that seem to be developing. But a show like this, set in a large community, has got to get something interesting going pretty quickly or it really is doomed. Dinos are not enough.

#7 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Ep. 3:
Spoiler
Old Star Trek trope; happens early in the first seasons of the original series, DS9 and Enterprise. (Probably happened on TNG and Voyager as well, at some point.) Something more original this week, perhaps?

#8 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Ep. 3:

Spoiler
Old Star Trek trope; happens early in the first seasons of the original series, DS9 and Enterprise. (Probably happened on TNG and Voyager as well, at some point.) Something more original this week, perhaps?

Airborne, dunno, but the second episode of TNG was a sequel to "The Naked Time" and it revolves around a similar sort of thing.

#9 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

What made the Terra Nova episode unique was, of course, the particular characters involved. Because they were husband and wife, there was a dynamic that none of the Trek episodes touched on. I thought it was a well-done story.

#10 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Cancelled.

#11 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,979 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

This is stunning to me, because everyone I know who watched it said they thought it was a great show, and the ratings were quite good!

#12 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,161 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Netflix might save it.

#13 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is stunning to me, because everyone I know who watched it said they thought it was a great show, and the ratings were quite good!

The ratings were good, yes, but I think the network wanted ridiculously good ratings, considering some of the names attached.

#14 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,572 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

The ratings were good, yes, but I think the network wanted ridiculously good ratings, considering some of the names attached.

Not too mention the cost.

#15 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,453 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Bummer. I think Books and Culture is going to be publishing a series on this series soon.

#16 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,572 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Netflix might save it.

Netflix passes.