Photo

Red 2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Link to our thread on Red (2010).

- - -

'Red 2' Targets August 2013 Release, Plot Revealed
"Red 2," the developing sequel to the 2010 action comedy starring Bruce Willis and John Malkovich as former spies who find themselves on the run after a kill order is sent down the pipeline, officially has a release date. Summit Entertainment has scheduled the movie to arrive on August 2, 2013, just two short months after the release of another DC Comics movie, Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel."
In addition to the just announced release date, we also have a new log line for the "Red" sequel. According to Summit, "Red 2" will "reunite our team of retired CIA operatives as they use their old-school style to take on a new set of enemies all across Europe." . . .
MTV Splash Page, October 26

#2 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,264 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

So, this isn't about Wedge Antilles.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Parisot seeing 'Red 2'
Dean Parisot is in final negotiations to direct ''Red 2,'' the sequel to Summit's sleeper hit starring Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren.
Parisot, who directed the 1999 cult classic ''Galaxy Quest,'' is putting the final touches on a deal to sequelize the pic that made more than $90 million domestic following its October 2010 bow. . . .
Variety, February 17

#4 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,130 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Here's hoping that they can keep up the classiness of the first one. I hadn't seen an action movie with as much charm as 2010's Red for years. I would say this also logically demands that they bring back Brian Cox's Ivan as well.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Count the reunions! Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins... from HITCHCOCK! Bruce Willis and Byung-hun Lee... from G.I. JOE: RETALIATION! Bruce Willis and Catherine Zeta-Jones... from OCEAN'S TWELVE! (Plus everyone from the original RED.)

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Brilliant.

#8 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCTvYprKMg

I have absolutely no interest in this movie, but I loved that.

#9 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,990 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

Booyah! Best use of current events to sell a movie. Ever.

#10 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,638 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Analysts are predicting that Red 2 will probably beat out R.I.P.D. this weekend at the box office. That may not be news in and of itself, but what I didn't realize (and found very interesting) is that R.I.P.D. was directed by Robert Shwentke... who directed the first Red. I wonder, has there ever been another head to head box office battle like this, where a sequel directed by someone different from the original film has opened against a different film directed by the other series original director?..... (my head spun trying to word that in a way that made some kind of sense)

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

John Drew wrote:
: I wonder, has there ever been another head to head box office battle like this, where a sequel directed by someone different from the original film has opened against a different film directed by the other series original director?

I *want* to say yes, but no examples are coming to mind right now. And it sounds like the sort of thing that would be somewhat laborious to research.

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,298 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

Analysts are predicting that Red 2 will probably beat out R.I.P.D. this weekend at the box office. That may not be news in and of itself, but what I didn't realize (and found very interesting) is that R.I.P.D. was directed by Robert Shwentke... who directed the first Red. I wonder, has there ever been another head to head box office battle like this, where a sequel directed by someone different from the original film has opened against a different film directed by the other series original director?..... (my head spun trying to word that in a way that made some kind of sense)

I've raised the question on FB. Right away, someone pointed out that this also marks Ryan Reynolds opening against Ryan Reynolds. (R.I.P.D., Turbo)

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Actors appearing in multiple movies on the same day aren't that uncommon, since actors can spread themselves out over multiple projects much more easily than directors. The first example that leaps to mind is Chris Rock's simultaneous appearance in Madagascar and The Longest Yard on May 27, 2005. (I had to look up the date, but I do remember the simultaneous releases.)

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

Oh, and both films co-star Mary-Louise Parker! How could I have missed that. (She'll always be John Cusack's girlfriend in Bullets over Broadway, to me.)

I wrote:
: Count the reunions! Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins... from HITCHCOCK! Bruce Willis and Byung-hun Lee... from G.I. JOE: RETALIATION! Bruce Willis and Catherine Zeta-Jones... from OCEAN'S TWELVE! (Plus everyone from the original RED.)

And here's another one, sort of: This film marks the first time Anthony Hopkins has shared the screen with Brian Cox, the original Hannibal Lecter.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 19 July 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#15 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,990 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Here's my capsule review of "Red 2," in case anyone was wondering. It was a lot of fun, with some snappy dialogue and a few exquisitely-choreographed action sequences. The acting highlight was Anthony Hopkins as a scatterbrained and possibly insane professor. Marvelous! The acting lowlight was Catherine Zeta Jones block-of-wooding her way around a femme fatale role she is not able to pull off. Helen Mirren is sexier than Zeta Jones right now, in large part because Mirren knows her own age, and isn't trying hard to be someone she's not. Anyway, a solid, fun action pic.

Byung-hun Lee as Han is also terrific. Just phenomenal.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

CrimsonLine wrote:
: The acting lowlight was Catherine Zeta Jones block-of-wooding her way around a femme fatale role she is not able to pull off. Helen Mirren is sexier than Zeta Jones right now, in large part because Mirren knows her own age, and isn't trying hard to be someone she's not.

Oh, zing!

#17 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,990 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

Just read a review that said that Zeta Jones was too YOUNG for the role she was in. Not sure how to even get to the planet that writer is on.

#18 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just read a review that said that Zeta Jones was too YOUNG for the role she was in. Not sure how to even get to the planet that writer is on.

I actually kind of wondered about that based on the trailers.  The trailers seem to suggest that Zeta-Jones is a contemporary of Willis, Malkovich and Mirren, which would at the very least suggest her character is older than Mary-Louise Parker.  In actuality, Parker is 5 years older than Zeta-Jones.

Edited by John Drew, 20 July 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#19 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

CrimsonLine wrote:
: Just read a review that said that Zeta Jones was too YOUNG for the role she was in. Not sure how to even get to the planet that writer is on.

Hmmm. Zeta-Jones was born in 1969. And her character is supposed to have been a former lover of Bruce Willis's during the Cold War, right? So she -- the actress, that is -- would have been only 20 or 21 when the Iron Curtain fell. (Whereas Willis was born in 1955 and turned 35 the year the Berlin Wall came down.) Yeah, I could see how she might be too young for the character.

John Drew wrote:
: In actuality, Parker is 5 years older than Zeta-Jones.

Oh, interesting!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 20 July 2013 - 10:16 AM.