Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Her first album in seven years will include production from Joe Henry, songs from Bob Dylan. Out in April.

#2 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Update: Here's a full track list.

Not only are there two Dylan songs (both from Time Out of Mind), but also two Joe Henry ones (both from Civilians)!

#3 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Not only are there two Dylan songs (both from Time Out of Mind), but also two Joe Henry ones (both from Civilians)!

And two more from southern soul man Randall Bramblett, two from NRBQ guitarist Al Anderson, and one from Irish troubadour Paul Brady. If nothing else, this album will feature some extraordinary songwriting. My guess is that it will feature far more than that, but that's a pretty stellar foundation.

#4 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

And two more from southern soul man Randall Bramblett, two from NRBQ guitarist Al Anderson, and one from Irish troubadour Paul Brady. If nothing else, this album will feature some extraordinary songwriting. My guess is that it will feature far more than that, but that's a pretty stellar foundation.

Thanks for mentioning Randall and Al, Andy. I hold them both in very high esteem. I love the fact that Bonnie gets these killer players to work with her. Just look back on her career and all you can say is WOW. Before Randall she had the mighty Jon Cleary playing piano and writing for her (who is still part of her road band when he isn't gigging at home in New Orleans.) Then there's Freebo, Stephen Bruton, and a ton more. I saw her fairly recently with and she was more than up to the performance; renewed both in voice and in her guitar playing which was fierce. The band pushed her and she responded with relish.

I've been a fan of Randall Bramblett's since his Sea Level days in the mid-to-late '70s. The guy's a great, soulful singer and songwriter, and his songs always resonate deeply. And yes, Al Anderson is one of my guitar heroes. He's not flashy or spectacular; he just plays all the right notes. Bonnie's albums are usually hit-and-miss for me -- a few great songs surrounded by songs that never quite come to life. But she's consistently great live. I'm glad to hear that she's still got it.

#5 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,019 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Here's "Right Down the Line."

#6 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,019 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Full album stream.

Sounds pretty great to me, just a few songs in.

#7 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 312 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

The mp3 album is only $1.99 on Amazon today: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B007S1RGUQ/