• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image

The company behind the recent reimagining of V is preparing to launch (get me to a punnery) a new version of SPACE: 1999. Details are scarce, and don't suggest that they are any farther along than early preproduction.

I always seem to remember the original series fondly, until I actually see an episode and realize just how dull the stories were. The ships were great looking, but that's not saying much. I wonder if the new production will use the same premise, with the moon being blown from Earths' orbit. Kinda also wonder if they'll show the effects such a catastrophe would have on the Earth (don't remember if the original series even dealt with that).

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 11 February 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,194 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

So do those 13,000 colonists that Newt Gingrich is thinking of putting up there form a secessionist movement or something like that?

A part of me almost wishes this remake were still called Space 1999. Kind of like how Conan O'Brien kept doing 'In The Year 2000' for years after the actual year 2000. Or the way we still regard Khan as one of the greatest Star Trek villains even though he was supposed to be some sort of futuristic genetically-engineered tyrant who ruled an entire continent here on Earth in the 1990s.

That long rectangular shuttle was one of my favorite toys when I was 7 years old. I think the middle section was detachable, even. I wonder if I still have that toy somewhere.

#3 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,997 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

io9 has an interview with producer Jace Hall.

Space: 2099's goal is not to attempt to re-tell the specific story of Space: 1999. We are not trying to make some "dark and gritty" version of Space: 1999. There is no reason to re-tell the Space: 1999 story since we already have Space: 1999! However, through our new story and presentation, Space: 2099 hopes to re-kindle and remind fans of those memories of a show from 35 years ago, but more importantly help bring back to all science fiction fans that sense of awe, fear and incredible spectacle that is the unknown, unexplored universe. It is important that we endeavor to bring something new and exciting to the table.

FWIW, my own experience with Space:1999 was pretty much confined to pouring over a book on how to modify model kits to more accurately approximate the television versions. Not that I was ever really into models; I was more in to reading about them.