Fernando Meirelles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,887 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

(A&F links to Blindness (2008), The Constant Gardener (2005), and City of God (2002))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv3DY4rviJ4&feature=related

The cast includes Anthony Hopkins, Rachel Weisz, Jude Law and Ben Foster.

#2 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,842 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

I saw this at TIFF last fall. I like Meirelles CITY OF GOD and THE CONSTANT GARDENER, but was underwhelmed by this one.

Here's what I said in September:

Fernando Mierelles new film 360 is an ensemble film with multiple characters and an interwoven storyline that transpires over numerous locales from Vienna to Denver airport. Screenwriter Peter Morgan mentioned before the film in a brief address that he was especially inspired by Arthur Schnitzler’s 1900 play La Ronde and its exploration of sexual and class divides and how sex transgresses boundaries of class and nation.

I will mention that the performances are quite uniformly good. Anthony Hopkins gives a monologue as a grieving father to an AA meeting that only an actor of his stature could, and yet it doesn’t steal the show or feel out of place. Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, and Ben Foster are the Hollywood stars we recognize, but the other actors are quite good too. Jamel Debbouze gives an affecting performance as an Algerian dentist in Paris.

While the film is competently made (no one can fault Mierelles for ever being a less than stylish and innovative visual director) and Morgan’s screenplay is thematically tight, I can’t help but feel that the film fails to bring anything particularly striking or necessary. The film lacks a slight vitality that the material needs. However, I do appreciate the way the film reinforces the theme of unity and the possibilities of redemption rather than wallowing in the darkest corners that films of this type often do. Yet, on the other hand, this gives the film a kind of thematic palatability that feels at times “too safe.”

Which reminds me, has anyone seen the Ophüls film of LA RONDE starring Anton Walbrook?

Edited by Anders, 19 May 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#3 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,887 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

#4 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d257R77RRk0&feature=youtu.be

That trailer reminds me that Hopkins really does a good job in this film. Better than the story deserves.

#5 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,653 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

The vibe I'm getting is Closer if Guillermo Arriaga had made it.

Also, major missed opportunity to not use music from U2's 360 tour.