Photo

Looking for Great Anime

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Please email some links, Andrew. I respect your opinion on this corner of world religion and would really appreciate the guidance. I have read quite a bit on Shinto and its anime representation, which is entirely beautiful.

I would like to put this project on the backburner, as it looks like an important gap to fill. I will post a call for papers in a few months.

#82 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,247 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Please email some links, Andrew. I respect your opinion on this corner of world religion and would really appreciate the guidance. I have read quite a bit on Shinto and its anime representation, which is entirely beautiful.

I would like to put this project on the backburner, as it looks like an important gap to fill. I will post a call for papers in a few months.

Thanks for your kind words. Give me a few days, and I'll see what I can come up with, link-wise. Please keep me posted on your pursuit of this project - count me as very interested.

#83 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Thanks to Hulu, I've watched more anime in the 2-3 months than I have in the last 2-3 years.

Baccano!
I think the last anime I saw with this much verve and panache was Cowboy Bebop. Seriously, Baccano! is just a lot of fun. It's also very convoluted, with well over a dozen main characters and a very non-linear storyline involving Probibition-era gangsters and bootleggers mixing things up with alchemists pursuing an immortality elixir. I got lost more than once as the story jumped back and forth in time, but it's such a wild ride that you just go along with it. The series gets pretty gruesome in places, but it's adept at shifting tone very quickly so that the bloody scenes don't linger in the memory or become too exploitative. Also, this might be the only anime I've watched where I prefer the dubbed version to the subtitled version.

Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing
Last Exile is one of my favorite anime series of all times. As such, I was excited for a sequel. However, I'm about 10 episodes into Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing and I'm not convinced that this is a worthy sequel. The focus is on characters that are way too annoying -- I really don't like the series' main character so far -- and much of the original series' mythology and world-building has been passed over for silly shenanigans. The series does seem to be entering into a new story arc, so I have some hope things will improve.

Project Blue Earth SOS
I just started watching this, and so far, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Take some retro 50's sci-fi chic, throw in some Plan 9 From Outer Space, Independence Day, Sky Captain, Gerry Anderson, and even a bit of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and you might come up with something similar to Project Blue Earth SOS. It's the kind of series where a couple of genius teenagers come up with all kinds of gizmos to help an organization with an underwater base and top secret jet fighter fight off an alien invasion that is using dead people as part of an unstoppable army. If that's your cup of tea, then I think you'll dig this.

#84 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,377 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist, and while it was fun, I wasn't super impressed. I know lots of people like it a lot, though, so I kept going. I just finished episode 7, "Night of the Chimera's Cry," and my opinion of the series has changed now. Did not see that coming.

#85 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist, and while it was fun, I wasn't super impressed. I know lots of people like it a lot, though, so I kept going. I just finished episode 7, "Night of the Chimera's Cry," and my opinion of the series has changed now. Did not see that coming.

Exactly, Tyler. It's fun at first, and maybe just that. But right around the episode in question, things get really interesting really fast.

It might not always hold you in that spot, but the show is pretty grand overall.

That said, my wife and I are working through Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and I'm liking it more than the original. "Is it a sequel?" you might ask. Nope — it's the same story as the original, just closer in plot and characterization to the manga. While I'm not a manga fan in general, I like where Brotherhood is ultimately heading.

#86 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Whoops. I bailed on it around Episode 4 or 5. Sounds like I need more commitment.

#87 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Whoops. I bailed on it around Episode 4 or 5. Sounds like I need more commitment.

I don't blame you — those episodes set in Lior are an absolute drag. Not guaranteeing that you'll like the show, but I do think it improves after a while.

#88 douggimmick

douggimmick

• 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

OK, as an interested viewer who is quite a novice anime-wise, is the Cowboy Bebop series worth watching? Verve and panache are the words I have found here to describe it so far. Is this series "proto-Firefly"? Did Joss Whedon liberally steal from Bebop? We really like Firefly around there, but I am skeptical. Thanks.

#89 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

OK, as an interested viewer who is quite a novice anime-wise, is the Cowboy Bebop series worth watching? Verve and panache are the words I have found here to describe it so far. Is this series "proto-Firefly"? Did Joss Whedon liberally steal from Bebop? We really like Firefly around there, but I am skeptical. Thanks.

My two-cents. Bebop is a blast, and worth watching. It does a good job of having lots of stand-alone episodes while maintaining an overarching show-spanning plot. As for being proto-Firefly...that might be a stretch. Both have the western-by-way-of-space element, but Bebop is probably more heavily influenced by film noir and French new wave crime films.

#90 douggimmick

douggimmick

• 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Excellent. Thanks for those two cents, Jason!

#91 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

At the two-thirds point, I can safely say that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is infinitely better than the original series. So much so that I'll tell people to just watch Brotherhood and skip the original. Brotherhood has a lot going for it (better animation, better sense of humor, voice acting, etc.), but both the narrative and depth of the characters really make the show work.

#92 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

For those who are wishing there were more animes like Cowboy Bebop, you might consider Black Lagoon (DVDs on Netflix). It's nowhere near as good as CB but call it a consolation prize for not having many shows like CB or Ghost in the Shell around these days....

#93 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Watanabe's follow-up, Samurai Champloo, was also a very entertaining post-Bebop consolation prize. In some ways I dig it more. The animation is stronger and the fight sequences surpass the CB movie, imo.

Hulu has the series streaming, btw.

Edited by Greg P, 03 May 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#94 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

I also started "Ergo Proxy" last night -- atmospheric sci-fi dystopia. It starts off confusingly but by the end of the first disc the plot turned out to be fairly familiar. Still, I'm going to keep watching.

#95 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have mixed feelings about Ergo Proxy. I love the style and atmosphere, and the animation and character designs are fantastic. But the plot gets pretty uneven in places, and I never quite got caught up in the series' world and mythology.

#96 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,377 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Sgt. Frog is a really fun, really bizarre series. It's about a team of space frogs who plan to invade and enslave earth. But they're completely incompetent, so the invasion doesn't quite get off the ground. It reminds me of Invader Zim, except it's stranger in every way.

Vexille is an interesting feature-length movie. The premise is that Japan completely isolates itself from the world after the UN outlaws artificial intelligence research because it's becoming too advanced. After an incident on American soil, a US military team sneaks into Japan to investigate. Considering it was made in Japan, the way it sets up the Japanese as the bad guys and America as the good is intriguing (it gets more complicated as the story progresses).

#97 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

I recently started watching Kids on the Slope on Hulu. It's a "coming of age" story about a couple of high school students who, though being very different in many ways, become friends through playing jazz music. Oh, and there are lots of love triangles, high school melodrama, etc. Maybe it's the jazz, but I'm really enjoying it so far, and find myself surprisingly involved in the characters and their arcs.

#98 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

I recently started watching Kids on the Slope on Hulu. It's a "coming of age" story about a couple of high school students who, though being very different in many ways, become friends through playing jazz music. Oh, and there are lots of love triangles, high school melodrama, etc. Maybe it's the jazz, but I'm really enjoying it so far, and find myself surprisingly involved in the characters and their arcs.

That doesn't sound much like the anime I've seen. Is one of the students a demon-possessed cyborg who got stranded on Earth when his inter-dimensional spaceship was pulled through a wormhole by a malfunctioning dishwasher?

Edited by Tyler, 11 June 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#99 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

That doesn't sound much like the anime I've seen. Is one of the students a demon-possessed cyborg who got stranded on Earth when his inter-dimensional spaceship was pulled through a wormhole by a malfunctioning dishwasher?

Well, I'm only five episodes in... There's still plenty of time for one of the female characters to transform into a metal bikini-wearing, vampire dragonmech-piloting Amazon with a huge sword and/or laser cannon, or better yet, a huge cannon that shoots laser swords.

#100 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Is it a multi-season series? Thanks for the nod, I will check it out.