Which 2005 List Is Best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Which 2005 Spiritually Significant Films List is Best? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Which 2005 Spiritually Significant Films List is Best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 (unregistered)

(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

--content deleted--

#2 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

I thought last year's list didn't rank the films, but merely listed 100 films. Am I wrong?

If we're talking about which ranking I like better, I like the raw scores. If we're talking about which films are on the list vs. off, I like the weighted better.

#3 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

You are understanding me correctly.

In fact, I think lists get most ugly when we try to pit films against each other for various spots on the list. If we're saying "Here are a bunch of Spiritually Significant Films" people will comb the whole list. If we say, these are the top 100 in ORDER we'll get more petty arguing over the rankings and people may just breeze over the top 10.

Edited by DanBuck, 22 September 2005 - 09:50 AM.

#4 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,865 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:30 AM

As usual, I come in with a "Yes and No" kind of answer.

I voted for the weighted list, so "Yes."

On the "No" side, I've never seen Rosetta, I don't recall any discussion of Rosetta, so I have no idea why it's on the list at all. Undoubtedly this is my fault. I'm not blaming anyone

Nevertheless, it leads to my other concern about the 2005 list process--even though I would not have voted for Rosetta simply because I haven't seen it and therefore have no basis for saying "yea" or "nay" as to its spiritual and/or cinematic worthiness, I still wish there had been more discussion of the various films. I was as much a part of this problem as anyone--I could have posted justifications for my particular favorites, and I didn't. Alan posted whatever comments were appended to the votes that came in, yes.

But I still think some of the titles could have benefited (or not) from new or additional discussion of their place on the list.

Sorry if this has already been hashed out and I missed it.