Photo

Life of Pi

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,487 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:04 AM

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I have been following the announcement that Jeunet will be filming Life of Pi. After reading the book, I wondered how the more imaginative scenes towards the end of the book would be filmed. I suppose we are going to find out. A whimsical montage that chronicles some of the animal stories in the introduction should be right up his alley.

Edited by SDG, 23 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,997 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Link to the thread on the book in the 'Literature and Writing' forum.

Since this website's search engine doesn't heed any words of less than three letters, I think someone should mention author Yann Martel here, just to make sure this thread comes up in searches.

Oh, wait, I guess I just did that.

#3 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,697 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:55 AM

Seems like a good choice: a bit of the whimsy Amilie, a bit of the darkness of Delicatessan. Scene I thought would be really hard to do (and one I didn't much like in the book) is the living island.

#4 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:58 AM

I am right there with you. The book almost ground to a halt when I came to those chapters and I can't wrap my head around what that would look like in film. The end of the Island bit could be fantastically disturbing if done correctly. It seems though that Jeneut's great sense of pacing will force him to adapt that scene in a way that makes it much more useful.

Edited by MLeary, 21 November 2005 - 04:59 AM.

#5 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,697 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

In the 2 years since the last post, apparently Jeunet is no longer doing it. There is no director (or screenwriter for that matter) listed on the Life of Pi IMDB page.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

EXCLUSIVE: 'Life Of Pi' next for Ang Lee
Ang Lee has confirmed that his next movie will be an adaptation of Yann Martel's Man Booker Prize-winning novel Life Of Pi for Fox 2000. . . .
Lee noted that the project is still at the scripting stages and he hasn't started thinking about who will play the lead character, Indian boy Piscine 'Pi' Molitor Patel. . . .
DigitalSpy.com, October 28

#7 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,222 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:04 AM

Excellent news Peter.

#8 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,870 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

It's been years since I've read Life of 3.1416..., but I think it's a project tailor-made for Dev Patel.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Life of Pi Seeks Fox Green Light with Ang Lee Directing in 3-D
Gabler and the filmmakers are lining up a big budget well north of $70 million for a 3-D magical fantasy adventure crammed with visual effects. There’s a shipwreck, the ship sinks, and a teenage boy is launched overboard and climbs into a life raft with a zebra, hyena and a tiger. There are many CG animals (whales, fish, meercats) plus ocean and atmosphere. “It has a gigantic visual effects component,” says Gabler. “You can’t put a live tiger in a boat with a child. It has elements of Castaway, when the kid is alone in the boat. You don’t need language to convey what’s on the screen. We need to make the movie for the whole world.”
Anne Thompson, April 28

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,997 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:45 AM

'Life of Pi' suffers another blow
EXCLUSIVE: Speaking of difficult books and the development challenges that accompany them, here comes another example, and it's a high-profile one.
"Life of Pi," Yann Martel's bestselling Booker Prize winner that has had more development go-rounds than a male Bengal tiger has mates, may be on its way back to the development cage. Eclectic director Ang Lee had been set to shoot the movie, possibly even in 3-D, but budget concerns appear to be putting the project on hold.
Lee and producer Gil Netter have returned to Fox 2000 with a budget that sources say is too high for the studio division. (A recent Indiewire piece put it in the $70 million range.)
The filmmakers can still reconfigure the budget, but until they do, the film isn't moving forward. . . .
Los Angeles Times, May 27

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,997 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

Indian teen newcomer gets 'Life of Pi' lead
Fox 2000's bigscreen adaptation of Yann Martel's tome "Life of Pi" is at last rowing off to sea, with Ang Lee set to start lensing the fantasy adventure early next year.
After a monthslong search during which 3,000 young men auditioned, Lee has cast 17-year-old newcomer Suraj Sharma in the title role. Sharma is a student who lives with his mathematician parents in Delhi, India. Fox will release the pic on Dec. 14, 2012.
"Life of Pi" will be Lee's first 3D pic and utilize state-of-the-art technology in rendering the adventure tale.
Lee will direct from a script by David Magee ("Finding Neverland"). Lee begins principal photography in January in Taiwan and India. . . .
Variety, October 25

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,385 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Gerard Depardieu and Irrfan Khan Cast in Ang Lee’s ‘Life of Pi’

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,385 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Starring Tobey Maguire.

#14 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Starring Tobey Maguire.

If they're sticking with the structure of the book, calling Maguire the star would be like calling the guy who interviewed Salieri the star of Amadeus.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

The new Life of Pi: onscreen, in 3-D
When the film version of Life of Pi comes out in late 2012 (in 3-D!), watch for the scene where the older Piscine ‘Pi’ Molitor Patel (Irrfan Khan), now living in Canada, tells his amazing tiger tale to a journalist (Tobey Maguire). In the background, across a pond, there’s a man sitting on a bench, writing notes. That’s Life of Pi author Yann Martel, who shot his cameo in Montreal last month as the international production finally wrapped, after more than 100 days of shooting.
“They invited me to be an extra,” said Martel from his home in Saskatoon, where he is busy with a newborn (Lola) and a toddler (Theo). “It was quite fun.” . . .
Martel says that under Lee’s direction, he expects the technology will contribute to, rather than overshadow, the storytelling. “The danger of 3-D would be I guess that it looks spectacular, but it feels hollow. That’s why I was happy to have someone like Ang Lee, who is too sensitive a director and too ambitious to want to do something that just looks good but is clunky and has no heart.” . . .
Martel also spoke with Maguire. “He was interested in knowing my state of mind when I wrote Life of Pi,” says Martel, who took a call from Maguire after the Spider-Man star signed onto the project. Maguire also asked to see photos of Martel’s influential travels in India. They met in person for the first time in Montreal and the author was amused to see Maguire looking a bit like him, with curlyish hair and a few days’ growth of facial hair.
“Considering very few people know what I look like, it was funny to have them make that effort,” said Martel. . . .
Globe and Mail, July 6

#16 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,311 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

The Huffington Post has a picture from the set. The story also mentions this:

"starring Tobey Maguire as Yann Martel himself."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tyler, 27 April 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#17 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,311 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

The official website opens with the clip below. It then scrolls through some impressive still shots/art from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JRNSWI1_BfA

I've read the full trailer also played in front of 3-D screenings of Prometheus. I can't find it online. Anyone get to see it?

Edited by Tyler, 14 June 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#18 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,964 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

The official website opens with the clip below. It then scrolls through some impressive still shots/art from the movie.

I've read the full trailer also played in front of 3-D screenings of Prometheus. I can't find it online. Anyone get to see it?

Yeah. I saw it. It was artful, elegant, and gorgeous. It has potential to be a film that uses 3D in a similar way to Wim Wenders' film.

Edited by Attica, 14 June 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#19 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,959 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, it looked great. But I can't imagine it reaching anyone who hasn't read the book. The friend who came to the film with me was confused as hell.

#20 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

You guys have to be kidding at me.

This looks horrible. And this is from someone who thinks highly of the book.

Everything about the clip is wrong. The CG tiger is horrible. The flying fish are terrible and unbelievable and facile and have none of the importance they have in the book.

They honestly couldn't have made it any worse.

Edit: To be specific here. Yartel's great accomplishment with the first part of the book is making us believe that a boy could survive in a lifeboat with a tiger.

In less than two minutes, that feeling is totally stripped away by Ang's film. We don't believe it. We can't. All we are given is a cartoon Indian and a cartoon tiger and sentimentality.

Edited by Timothy Zila, 15 June 2012 - 01:02 AM.