The NEXT featured film discussion...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: The next discussion

Which film would you MOST like us next to watch and discuss?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which film would you LEAST like us next to watch and discuss?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 (unregistered)

(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

--content deleted--

#2 Sundered

Sundered

• 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

Oooh man. Far From Heaven is probably my favorite movie of the new millennium, and it warrants some serious discussion. Safe is also bloody brilliant.

I'd be thrilled with either.

#3 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

Not to gloat or anything, but did y'all notice that my nominee is winning? Hands down, in the lead(cough in the second category). All riiiiiiiiiiiight. (I'm liking this least popular category, it gives us all a chance to win something.) smile.gif

#4 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

I wouldn't take it personally, Mark. You know, we used to do something similar in college--a group of us would go to the store; each person could nominate one film, and each person could veto one film. Unfortunately, this process usually ensured that the films folks were most passionate about (yea and nay) would get cancelled out, thus leaving only only film(s) no one really had an opinion about either way--and they were invariably the most mediocre titles of the bunch. So be glad you're inducing some passion, even if it's negative! wink.gif

#5 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

Mark, I really love Pi. (Coincidentally, I also love pie. wink.gif ) I bet I've watched it ten times over the years. I've tried on a few occassions to write something intelligent about the film but have failed each time. It has such great energy, and I have a weakness for detective/conspiracy films, but I'm afraid that if I dig too deep into Pi I'll be disappointed to discover that under all of that style there isn't too much substance.

It doesn't bother me at all that my nomination, Birth, hasn't received any votes. I think Safe will make better fodder for a group discussion. Still, though, I hope a few people will check out Birth. If we do discuss Safe, I'm guessing that the formal influence of Kubrick will eventually come up, and Birth owes an even greater debt to St. Stanley.

#6 Sundered

Sundered

• 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

I heavily debated voting for Birth as I simply adore that movie.

I echo Darren's recommendation.

#7 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

I think Russ' idea of a Safe-Birth succession would be great.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,149 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

I'm game, too.

#9 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,924 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

I like the idea of Safe - Birth too.

#10 Titus

Titus

• 127 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

This has probably been brought up somewhere on the board, but just in case, a heads-up is in order for Safe. Sony put a couple hundred titles in their catalogue out of print for "not selling well", and Safe was one of the bunch. DeepdiscountDVD.com put all of the titles on clearance for $6--those who need to track it down may want to see if there are any copies still available.

#11 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Many thanks, Alan, for posting the poll!

Here's another fan of a Safe-Birth discussion.

#12 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Doug C @ Mar 25 2006, 10:12 AM) View Post

I wouldn't take it personally, Mark. You know, we used to do something similar in college--a group of us would go to the store; each person could nominate one film, and each person could veto one film. Unfortunately, this process usually ensured that the films folks were most passionate about (yea and nay) would get cancelled out, thus leaving only only film(s) no one really had an opinion about either way--and they were invariably the most mediocre titles of the bunch. So be glad you're inducing some passion, even if it's negative! wink.gif

Heh, I just couldn't resist being a smart-ass smile.gif . Part of the reason I'm guessing some people voted down Pi is what Darren said, and also the fact that there's been quite a bit written already about its spiritual undertones. (or overtones?)

QUOTE(Darren H @ Mar 25 2006, 11:57 AM) View Post

Mark, I really love Pi. (Coincidentally, I also love pie. wink.gif )

Hey, Darren's onto something here ... anyone want to start an Arts & Faith Pie Club? Kind of like our CD mix club, wherein we trade whole pies made of different pie flavors - blueberry, rhubarb, sweet potato ... ? I'm so in.

And, oh yeah, I'm up for the Safe-Birth discussion, too, or even Russ' original suggestion of Safe-Birth-Far From Heaven.

#13 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Mark @ Mar 27 2006, 08:56 AM) View Post

And, oh yeah, I'm up for the Safe-Birth discussion, too, or even Russ' original suggestion of Safe-Birth-Far From Heaven.

I left out Far from Heaven in my last post, but I'm all for including it, too.

Mmmmm....pie club. Just make sure you're never eating pie while watching Pi. Trust me on this one.

#14 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,190 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

I wouldn't take it personally, Mark. You know, we used to do something similar in college--a group of us would go to the store; each person could nominate one film, and each person could veto one film. Unfortunately, this process usually ensured that the films folks were most passionate about (yea and nay) would get cancelled out, thus leaving only only film(s) no one really had an opinion about either way--and they were invariably the most mediocre titles of the bunch.

Page's inverse law of group video quality states that "the greater number of people in a group going to watch a film, the lower the quality of the film that will be selected."

Matt

Edited by MattPage, 27 March 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#15 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Right, I think this leveling effect really only occurs when everyone has veto power, which doesn't exist here. (Although even if it did, Birth and Safe would still be contenders.)

#16 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:19 AM

This decision would be ruined though if someone did interject with the words I fear in group video choice situations. "Oh I just feel like something lighthearted..."

Matt

#17 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,659 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(MattPage @ Mar 29 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post

This decision would be ruined though if someone did interject with the words I fear in group video choice situations. "Oh I just feel like something lighthearted..."
Yeah, with this group of films that would be Pi.

#18 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

"Oh I just feel like something lighthearted..."

Ha. Laura Miller has a so-so review of the new American Movie Critics book in the latest Salon, but I liked this part:

"...[G]ood writers want subjects that fire them up. The kind of person who sees, say, "Ultraviolet," then goes home, looks up a review online, marvels at the critic's vitriol and fires off an e-mail saying, "Chill out, dude, it's just a movie. It was fun," is not someone whose opinions anyone wants to read at length, on a regular basis -- or ever, really. (And, confidentially, if you are the kind of person who sends those e-mails: What gives? If you don't think certain movies should be taken so seriously, why even bother to read the reviews?)"

#19 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Darrel Manson @ Mar 29 2006, 09:50 AM) View Post

Yeah, with this group of films that would be Pi.

Oh, awesome. So I'm the guy nominating the Meg Ryan movie for film club???

(Is that Meg Ryan's brain at the subway station?)

#20 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

I think it's really odd that Far from Heaven has gotten four nay votes.