"Black" Gospel Music? Southern Gospel?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

Do you think there may be some corellation between this and "soul" music being generally attributed to "black artists"? And "gospel choirs", for that matter, are generally thought of as being predominantly black...

#2 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

That's a good point -- it could be seen more as "entertainment" and less as "religion."

#3 thom_jurek (unregistered)

thom_jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Oct 14 2005, 04:38 PM) View Post

Do you think there may be some corellation between this and "soul" music being generally attributed to "black artists"? And "gospel choirs", for that matter, are generally thought of as being predominantly black...

Damn straight and there should be. Bottm line is simply this:

Gospel miusioc before Thomas Dorsey formalized it, was a wilde, RAW< and otherwordly thing--evidence, chack out MIssissippe Fred McDowell's album Amazing Grace on the Testament label, recorded in church by Pete Welding. McDowell's chruch never subsriubed to the post Dorsey classicism and thhis muisc could have been made in North Africa or deep Africa just after Jesus left the earth. What Dorsey did do was to create a music that MORE reflected the experince of grace and the worship of God than the worship of grace itself. Checkl out Aretha and CL Franklin's recordings or better yet Dorothy Love Coates, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and the Reverend Gary Davis. "White" gospel music, rooted in the classical tradition focused on narrow paramenters--musically and socially--and is not gospel at at all. It is simply choir music. This is nmot semantics--Dorsey gave it a name. His classicism descended from folk traditions and was fused into more conventional choir settings, but added somethng that classical church music never ever EVER had: Rhythm as a centerpiece.

As for soul musi8c, the term descends from Black gospel music. Are there white soul singers? Yep: Eddie Hinton was one, Willy DeVille is one, Van Morrison is one. Why? Because they derived their music from rhythm and blues, the last antecedent of "soul;" a rhythm and blues based music rooted in the church that spoke of secular things--usually--and stirred the soul. Ray CHarles is regarded as the first "soul" singer anc coiuned the term. He started as a Nat King Cole knock-off and then his used his singing experience from the church, and the experience ofg the Black church's music, to sing anything from jazz to country and fused secular and spiritual themes.

Technically speaking, other than the music that came up from the deep south via the Appalachians (i.e. the Carter Family and their fabuilous ilk), there is no white "gospel" music. The music these people sang would not be tolerated in most conventional congregations today.

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Oct 14 2005, 04:46 PM) View Post

That's a good point -- it could be seen more as "entertainment" and less as "religion."

Gimme a break man. This comment of yours peaks of ignorance and borderline racism.

#4 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,746 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

I for one would love to see this discussion split into the music forum, if anyone else is interested. Good stuff.

(BTW Nardis... My first gospel music concert was a "Jubilee"-style performance when I was about 16 or 17. I doubt, I will ever, ever forget it. I remember snickering during the opening song, because the language at first seemed so Song of the South. But my laughter turned to tears to solemn, fearful worship as these old-timers belted out their unvarnished, homey tales of woe and praise. )

Edited by coltrane, 09 May 2006 - 09:58 PM.

#5 utzworld

utzworld

• 374 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(thom_jurek @ May 9 2006, 12:27 PM) View Post

Gimme a break man. This comment of yours peaks of ignorance and borderline racism.

Hear, hear, Thom! Don't even get me started!

#6 utzworld

utzworld

• 374 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(nardis @ May 16 2006, 08:56 PM) View Post

Actually, I was waiting for you to get started, Chris. ;-) (For many reasons.)

I had a verbose and well-thought out response to all this...but the server timed out when I hit the "Add reply" button. I will have to gather those thoughts (again) and repost. Bummer. sad.gif

#7 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,099 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:24 AM