Photo

Favourite Hitchcocks

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite Hitchcock film?

What is your favorite Hitchcock film?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

That was great, Matt. Thanks.

#162 Josh Daws

Josh Daws

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hey All,

Just found this forum. I'm an avid classic movie fan and Hitch is one of my favorite directors. My brother and I are the writers/directors of the new "Christian" thriller, Dangerous Calling. Hitchcock was a huge influence on our film. My top 5:

1. Notorious
2. Strangers on a Train
3. North by Northwest
4. Psycho
5. Shadow of a Doubt
(6.) Vertigo
(7.) Rear Window
(8.) Rope

Couldn't resist a few more than five.

Josh Daws
http://www.dawsbrothers.com

#163 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

Welcome, Josh.

I voted Vertigo, but --

1. Sadly, I've only seen five or six Hitchcocks, and

2. I should've realized that it was "My favorite" as opposed to "What I think is the best film," because I certainly would have gone for Psycho...

Top Three are definitely Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window.

#164 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

VERTIGO is absolutely my favorite Hitchcock film, and without a doubt Hitchcock's finest hour. VERTIGO may even be my favorite film of all time (it competes only with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for that title).

#165 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

VERTIGO is absolutely my favorite Hitchcock film, and without a doubt Hitchcock's finest hour. VERTIGO may even be my favorite film of all time (it competes only with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for that title).

I got to see it on the big screen years ago in Dayton, Ohio. It's a night I'll never forget. It is nothing if not a work that transcends the barriers of time.

It's tough for me though. Not being in any way skilled in understanding Hitchcock, and honestly (and I know this is bad, but) not even all that interested in seeing more of him, I've been in love with Psycho since I was a kid, even to the point of enjoying Gus Van Sant's version a few years back. It is certainly his most accessible to younger audiences, and I'm sure it was the shower/drain/eye scene that has turned it into one of my faves. (You mentioned the Kubrick. Here I'll mention my all-time favorite, Apocalypse Now, and the first ten minutes of that film -- face, ceiling fan, helicopters, Doors "This is the End," always seem to remind me of that great scene from Psycho.)

#166 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

If we're boasting then I should point out that I got to watch Psycho at a cinema recently. Also fairly unforgettable, not only for the muppet two seats in front who snored through the climax. I nearly ordered the woman in front of me to kick him.

Strangers on a Train is growing in my estimation as I reflect on Hitch's work.

Still feel at a loss to even work out a top 5 though.

Matt

PS Hi Josh. Nice to meet you.

#167 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

I am partial to 39 Steps because it is one of my favorite films from the period, it is a great chase movie, and the cinematography is so atmospheric. Way ahead of its time. I can never walk through Waverly without thinking about the film.

Edited by MLeary, 23 October 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#168 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

If we're boasting then I should point out that I got to watch Psycho at a cinema recently. Also fairly unforgettable, not only for the muppet two seats in front who snored through the climax. I nearly ordered the woman in front of me to kick him.

You win. I've never been to a movie with a Muppet!

#169 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I saw Irreversible with a muppet.

#170 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Fozzy Bear?

#171 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,000 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

Links to recently-begun threads on Vertigo (1958) and Psycho (1960).

#172 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

I want to change my vote. Is that possible?

#173 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 288 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

My current top 3 are:

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. Notorious

#174 Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer

• 288 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:58 AM

I am totally with you on this Ryan. Vertigo is the answer I am currently giving when asked what my all-time favourite film is. I honestly can't fault it any way. The execution is absolutely perfect!

#175 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

BFI launches hunt for missing Hitchcock movie.

Matt

PS Oh and I just started reading Spoto's "Spellbound by Beauty". Interesting so far.

#176 Christian

Christian

• 10,962 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

From a Q&A with Dave Kehr promoting his new book, When Movies Mattered:

You have chapters in your book advocating for Hitchcock and Walsh. Why do you think that we’ve been able to recognize Hitchcock more easily than [Raoul] Walsh?
Well, I think that Hitchcock does have pronounced themes and he does have philosophical ideas. I think the idea of the angry, unforgiving God is in close to all of his movies. People think that his movies are about guilt and punishment—"Why am I being punished? Why is this happening to me?"

Very Catholic.
Totally. But Walsh doesn’t have anything like that. You can identify a general theme, kind of driven by an inner energy to go to an extreme. It’s very hard to put into words what he’s doing, and it’s not a quick theme, the way Hitchcock has themes.

#177 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,658 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Farley Granger, who starred in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train and Rope, has died at 85.

#178 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,934 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:40 PM

Farley Granger, who starred in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train and Rope, has died at 85.

I posted this in the Rope thread before I noticed this post. Didn't mean to duplicate. I've got mixed feelings about his performance in Rope, but his work Strangers on a Train is terrific.

RIP

Edited by NBooth, 28 March 2011 - 10:41 PM.

#179 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

Strangers on a Train is one of my favourites. Might have to dig it out.

Matt

#180 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,313 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

The White Shadow, a lost Hitchcock film (3 reels of it, at least), has been found in New Zealand.