Trailer Alert!

Overstreet

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an evocative new trailer from Rialto of Louis Malle's debut film, Elevator to the Gallows, which uses a score by Miles Davis.

http://www.rialtopictures.com/elevator.html

Have you seen this film recently, Doug? I recall watching it sometime during my sophomore or junior years at college, shortly after beginning my film studies. I remember the film as a taut thriller, but one that was, at least at that time, dismissed as one of Malle's minor works. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps the tension of the film is at odds with most critics' perception of the significance of the French New Wave (in which Malle is awkwardly grouped)?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

That's a great point, Christian, and I haven't actually seen the film yet. But you're right, Malle was kind of dismissed by the Cahiers group and had to establish his reputation in later years apart from the more canonical works of the New Wave.

I love Miles Davis and Jeanne Morreau, though, and this sounds like the kind of film that might have been overlooked in its time. Your description of it as a "taut thriller" makes me excited to see it.

Edited by Doug C

I saw Elevator to the Gallows last year in my French Cinema film studies class, and I loved it. Unfortunately I can't recall it well enough to comment on much other than my impression at the time, which was that it was beautiful and atmospheric and moody and a great film noir style thriller. For some reason I can't find the response paper I wrote on it...I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing it again.

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there

Beauty and the truth I could breathe like air

--Sam Phillips

That's cool, Bethany; I don't know how I missed this one (last night at the video store I noticed New Yorker has released it on VHS) but it sounds great. Louis Malle was 24 when he made it! He had previously been Jacques Cousteau's oceanographer.

I've been skimming Peter Cowie's new book, Revolution! The Explosion of World Cinema in the Sixties, and he includes this quote by Malle: "I was trying to portray a new generation . . . A description of the new Paris. Traditionally, it was always the Ren

I've been searching in vain for the paper I wrote on it, but to no avail, though I have all the other papers I wrote on other films for the same class. I'm beginning to think I must have used that week as one of the two free papers we were allotted. Too bad...I was hoping to refresh my memory a bit beyond just "I don't remember why, but I remember I really liked it." I guess I'll just have to watch it again. smile.gif

I'd love to see more Louis Malle films. I've seen Elevator to the Gallows and Au Revoir Les Enfants, and I very much enjoyed them both. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there

Beauty and the truth I could breathe like air

--Sam Phillips

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

International trailer (with some added material and slightly different music from US version) for Serenity, in 3 formats, here.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

QuickTime trailer for the Johnny Cash biopic, Walk The Line right here. I'm assuming that's Phoenix doing the singing, and it's downright uncanny in spots.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

V For Vendetta

The trailer looks a little too, well, comic book-ish and Matrix-y for my tastes, but I am interested to see what will come of a movie about a terrorist striking back at the government of Britain what with recent events and all. Granted, it's a British government in an alternate timeline, but still...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Trailer for the new Michael Haneke film Cache.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 2 weeks later...
The trailer for Rent came out a bit ago.  Kinda looking forward to this one.

Saw this trailer yesterday. I don't know how well Rent will translate to film, but if there are awards for trailers, this one is in line.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Trailer for Spielberg's latest, Munich. I really haven't been paying much attention to the news surrounding this one, but the trailer looks very, very promising. Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

A teaser trailer for Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain is now online... check it out. I love the fact that it's simple, enigmatic, and full of striking images. I don't think I'm the only one who gets a Kubrick vibe from the space imagery.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I was never much of a Superman kind of guy - I was more into Marvel comics - but that trailer... wow.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook