Trailer Alert!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, Christopher Nolan's The Prestige.

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Climates.

Can't say what little I can glean from the narrative looks exceptionally promising, but I've seen all of Ceylan's work up till now (including his shorts) and nothing has disappointed.

Flyboys, starring James Franco and Jean Reno:

I was willing to take it seriously right up until the part where the guy is running on the exploding (natch) zeppelin, and Franco uses "The sky is the limit" as a tagline.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Alfonzo Cuaron's The Children of Men.

Hm. Some spooky similarities to Apocalypto there, hm? What with the eclipse and the pregnant woman and the theme of the end of a mighty civilization.

That's just how eye roll.

Alfonzo Cuaron's The Children of Men.

Hm. Some spooky similarities to Apocalypto there, hm? What with the eclipse and the pregnant woman and the theme of the end of a mighty civilization.

Maybe, simply in terms of imagery, but the movie is based on P.D. James's novel The Children of Men

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Don't get me wrong. I don't think anybody's stealing ideas. These themes seem well-suited to the stories being told. I just think these two movies might make an interesting double feature.

I couldn't figure out if this has been posted yet, but...

Renaissance.

Ian Holm, Daniel Craig, might be interesting.

But for some reason, it smells darkly of another movie. I'm trying to scan my mind to figure out what on earth it is!

Hmm...Is this going to be an animation trend?

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Hm. Story-wise, it seems more similar to Equilibrium than A Scanner Darkly. And the animation itself seems to go in precisely the opposite direction than Scanner - i.e. Scanner's visual style was constantly in motion and messy, whereas this movie seems more Flash-inspired and almost compulsively clean.

Thanks for the link, though. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I was thinking more big picture. In the future, someone is investigating a crime. Lots of interesting dialogue, a few guns. However, this looks to be a bit larger scale than Scanner.

In terms of animation, it's similar in that it uses a similar technique to get that almost real/almost animated look. Except add black and white this time, and, like you said GreetingsEarthling, keep it really clean.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

I'm looking forward to seeing this at the Toronto International Film Festival. I have no illusions concerning the film, but it should make for a nice balance to all of the high-falutin', artsy-fartsy stuff that I'll be seeing the rest of the time.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson with Chris Nolan directing

The Prestige

Given the cast and the warmth that many of us feel towards Chris Nolan I'm surprised that this hasn't been more talked about here.

Edited by MichaelRay

"Did you mention, perhaps, what line of industrial lubricants Jesus would have endorsed?"

The Black Dahlia

I'm a big fan of the novel, and this has been in development for ages. I'm hoping the end result will be good.

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Painfully miscast...

*sigh* and no doubt yet another favourite novel is murdered.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov