And why is there no thread devoted to this film?

What are your favorite lines? (How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?)

I wasn't like every other kid, you know, who dreams about being an astronaut, I was always more interested in what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Best cameo? David Bowie? Billy Zane? David Duchovny?

If you don't think this was one of the five greatest films of all time, please stay the heck far, far, away from this thread. Otherwise, please post your praises here.

Peace.

Ken

I love Zoolander. I've probably seen it six or seven times, and thinking about it makes me want to see it again.

The gas-station gas fight is one of the funniest moments in comedy I've ever seen.

I love Bowie's cameo... I'll have to go with that one. But Zane's and Duchovny's are both hilarious.

Will Ferrell's costume is one of the great movie makeovers.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Hm, I've never seen this one, but from what I'm reading here...

Wait. Jeff, given my, um, strong feelings about Anchorman, would I be advised to stay far, far away?

I have to admit, I have no idea what the line Ken quoted means, but it did make me laugh out loud.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I think you would enjoy it more than Anchorman. Although it has moments of extreme crassness, it's not nearly as crass as Anchorman. And the lampooning of the fashion industry is elaborate and outrageous. It's the funniest thing Ben Stiller has ever done.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I can date my youth ministry years by what movie was popular to quote. Goodness gracious I got sick of hearing:

"Mer-man Dad, Mer-man!" and "maybe I'm not the best 'ugoogalizer'."

But I watched it again over the summer and it's pretty darn funny. It's ok for me to start liking it again. Now, about Napoleon Dynamite...

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

This is all well and good, folks, but it seems you've forgotten that even though you might have rockhard abs and chiseled features, it doesn't mean you too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

Edited by ThePersistanceOfWaffles

Kent Brockman: Now, here are the results from our phone-in poll. 95% of the people think Homer Simpson is guilty. Of course, this is just a television poll, which is not legally binding. Unless Proposition 304 passes, and we all pray it will.

Zoolander (Which, I think, was the first major studio release after 9/11, no?).

I seem to remember some controversy surrounding the release of Zoolander. Am I correct in recalling that the studio that released the film opted to digitally remove the World Trade Center from several shots because the release was so close to 9/11?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

kenmorefield wrote:

: Zoolander (Which, I think, was the first major studio release after 9/11, no?).

No, that would be Hardball (my review) and The Glass House. (Hmmm, what a pair of titles!)

Zoolander came out two weeks later, and came in #2, behind fellow new release Don't Say a Word and ahead of fellow new release Hearts in Atlantis.

Interestingly, the only major new films during the week in-between -- both of which opened outside the Top 10 -- were Mariah Carey's Glitter and Megiddo: The Omega Code 2.

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:

: I seem to remember some controversy surrounding the release of Zoolander. Am I correct in

: recalling that the studio that released the film opted to digitally remove the World Trade Center from

: several shots because the release was so close to 9/11?

That rings a vague bell, though as you can see, they would have had to edit the film in an awful hurry, since it came out less than three weeks after 9/11. (I remember Don't Say a Word had a shot in which the twin towers were visible in the distance, and it made some people wince, at the time.)

kenmorefield wrote:

: Greatest Comedy of the Century?

You mean, greatest comedy of the past almost-six years?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Jeffrey Overstreet:

The gas-station gas fight is one of the funniest moments in comedy I've ever seen.

Yes! I don't think I've ever laughed harder in sheer amusement than the first time I saw that scene.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Zoolander is one of those movies, like The Goonies, and Boondock Saints, that I never heard about until I came to college and found that it has an enormous cult following. All the students over at the Catholic Center quote Zoolander, and though I never have a clue about what they're talking about, they sound funny despite.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

• 2 years later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

And so I say again: Sequel?

EXCLUSIVE: 'Zoolander 2' Set '10 Years Later,' Derek And Hansel Must 'Reinvent Themselves,' Mugatu Back 'If Will Says Yes'

Most importantly: Stiller and his "'Zoolander' people" now have a starting point to work from. "We have a new story idea that we feel excited about and we're going to try to go forward," he said. "The beginning of the movie is [set]... 10 years later, and Derek & Hansel are literally forgotten. Nobody even knows who they are, so they have to re-invent themselves."

Since this is a story about the world of fashion, whatever's written will have to reflect how people who have been out of the loop would return to an industry that changes seasonally after 10 years. "Well I think it has to be [a 'Zoolander' for a new generation]," Stiller explained. "The fashion world, you know, you go away for a year and its changed. It just happens so quickly."

The biggest roadblock for Stiller's return to the character has been the absence of its creator. "The tough thing over the years has just been that Drake Sather, who created the character, is not around anymore," he explained. Sather, a former "Saturday Night Live" and "Dennis Miller Show" writer, died in 2004 in an apparent suicide. "For a long time that was, for me, that hardest thing to figure out how to move forward through."

MTV Movies Blog, March 1

• 2 weeks later...

If this goes forward, this could be one of those sequels, like Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, that could out gross its predecessors' overall box office take in the opening weekend. I never bothered to see either Zoolander or Austin Powers #1 in the theatre, but I ponied up for both Austin Powers sequels, and would probably do the same for Zoolander 2.

FWIW, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery grossed a total of $53.8 million in theatres. The Spy Who Shagged Me grossed $54.9 million in its opening weekend.

Zoolander grossed a total of $45.2 million. But, like the first Austin Powers, did much better in DVD rentals and sales.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 1 month later...

The odds of a sequel don't look so good now.

:unsure: Sad news, but fortunately that story wasn't necessarily a eugoogooly for the sequel.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 3 years later...

• 7 months later...

Kenmorefield said:  If you don't think this was one of the five greatest films of all time, please stay the heck far, far, away from this thread. 

Sorry to rain on the parade.  But I gotta say.  I thought the film was fairly funny when I first saw it, but I viewed it again a couple of weeks ago.  It really didn't stand up for me.  In fact it seemed suprisingly dated.

I'll run and hide now.