What I'm Watching This Weekend

Now, as I'm sick and bed-ridden, I'm going to be giving Coppola's YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH another viewing.

I'd like to hear your reaction to this, I wonder if I should give it another try, too.

Also, what if Iran loses that game? How radically different would that film be if it ended not with the long drive through street celebrations but through a country in "mourning"? I admire Offside a great deal, but, like you Christian, I wasn't really blown away by it. It's interesting to watch it now, though, knowing that Panahi has just been sentenced to three-and-a-half years and fifty lashes.

He has? He was just released from jail last week, after his hunger strike, right? I haven't kept up with the latest developments.

What?!

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, as I'm sick and bed-ridden, I'm going to be giving Coppola's YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH another viewing.

I'd like to hear your reaction to this, I wonder if I should give it another try, too.

Having watched it, I'll say this: I liked it significantly more than I did last time, and I'm sure I'll revisit it in the future. If nothing else, Coppola has made a very interesting film in YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH, and given how boring most cinema is today, I think that's quite a compliment. It leaves an impression. Sure, it's a challenging film to understand--I still struggle with it--but I daresay it does seem to reward contemplation, as well as return viewings. I'll admit that it helped that I recently read Coppola's screenplay for his abandoned would-be final masterpiece, MEGALOPOLIS, which helped me to understand YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH a bit more. They share themes (I believe Coppola actually wrote YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH while working on MEGALOPOLIS). Both are very concerned with grappling with time, and they both feature the visual motif of the pocket watch.

But I still find it lacking a little life, and so while I appreciate it, I cannot say I love it. Things proceed at a very graceful pace, and the characters aren't exactly warm and friendly. Had the film offered a bit more in the way of passion, humor, and suspense (and there are numerous opportunities for these in the narrative), I think things would really click. As such, YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH plays more on the intellect than it does on the heart. Interesting that Coppola's follow-up, TETRO, seems to be the exact opposite; it's almost all heart, with very little head, so much so that it gets led astray. Both, though, are probably the most beautifully shot of all of Coppola's films, and I'll take them over anything Coppola made in the 80s or 90s.

Thanks, Ryan!

Also, what if Iran loses that game? How radically different would that film be if it ended not with the long drive through street celebrations but through a country in "mourning"? I admire Offside a great deal, but, like you Christian, I wasn't really blown away by it. It's interesting to watch it now, though, knowing that Panahi has just been sentenced to three-and-a-half years and fifty lashes.

He has? He was just released from jail last week, after his hunger strike, right? I haven't kept up with the latest developments.

What?!

I've been trying to look this up and have only found this:

Mohammad Nourizad's 3-1/2 year and 50-lash sentence upheld on appeal. I am fearful that the lashing alone could kill him.

There is a story Here.

Were you thinking of Nourizad?

Edited by Persona

Outside chance of seeing Agora this afternoon. Toy Story 3 tomorrow a.m. Given church schedule this weekend, that will probably be all I fit in. I have screener for Stonewall Uprising on hand. Netflix available: Seraphina and Up (which I'll be preaching on in August).

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I think I've given up on announcing theater plans for the weekend here because I have proven countless times to be a liar. And an ugly one at that.

I am watching iPod documentaries on the train to Grand Rapids: Art & Copy, Burning The Future: Coal in America, and The September Issue. Might also watch the new U2 Live DVD with a certain somebody, I'm not sayin' who but her A&F name starts with "El".

Just finished a Jacques Tati quadruple feature - 'Mr Hulot's Holiday' still remains, easily, my favorite of the Hulot films.

The kids are with me this weekend, so perhaps the new 'Karate Kid' movie, or maybe the 'National Treasure' movies on DVD again (do I want to focus on Cultures of the World, or American History? - tough call ::blush:: ).

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Winter's Bone

I have some DVDs that I probably won't get to, just as I never got to those Great Movies on DVD I mentioned earlier (although I have watched two Fellinis since)

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Looks like I'll finally get around to watching Stroszek this weekend.

Cool! Come to the thread! I loved this film so much I practically wet myself.

Winter's Bone

Me, too, Winter's Bone. And finally, The Secret in Their Eyes.

Yeah, that is one of those films where a nearly four-hour running time doesn't matter at all. Time flies by. Well-made films seem to do this to time.

I'll kick off this week's installment! Sarah sees Knight and Day tonight, leaving me to watch one of my foreign-film titles that rarely interest her -- or Daybreakers, half of which I thought was brilliant when I saw it in January (the other half, meh).

I'll watch one of these, maybe two:

Daybreakers

Pierre le Fou

Cleo From 5 to 7

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Edit: Change of plans. Some not-so-great DVDs of Téchiné and Reygadas and some really dumb American films like Sherlock Holmes and The Book of Eli, although Eli wasn't half bad. Maybe only a third bad, not half.

Edited by Persona

Darren, or anyone else who might know: Is it just me, or is the Pierrot le Fou DVD unwatchable? (BTW, I've been lazily writing the first word in the title as "Pierre" and only realized last night, when putting the disc in, that the title was different than I thought!)

My copy is from Fox Lorber. Don't know if it's available on another label, but the reds are garish, and the picture looks like it bleeds a bit, or just isn't sharp. This is an eyeball thing; I'm no expert on video transfers, but like to think I can recognize a bad one when I see it.

I do understand that the color schemes, film stock and equipment of an earlier era means that some films will look better than others in their original format. and that I'm possibly being too harsh. Maybe this is a great transfer of the orignal film, and I need to adjust my expectations. But I doubt it.

Presentation matters. This is true in the theater and on home video. I've had negative reactions to films that, after seeing them again in a better environment, with a crystal-clear image, I had to reassess.

I turned my DVD of Pierrot le Fou off after 10 minutes, figuring the transfer would prevent me from fairly assessing the the overall effectiveness of the film.

EDIT: WOW, looks like I'm on to something. Just googled "Pierrot le Fou Fox Lorber quality" and saw an eyeful of links bashing the DVD as sucky. Turns out, of course, that Criterion has released the film in what is surely an improved print and/or transfer. I don't know why I wasted a few checkouts, and a few weeks of anticipation, not to mention those 10 lost minutes last night, on this crappy DVD without bothering to check if I was getting a decent video version of this title.

Edited by Christian

Please Give, and maybe I Am Love.

On DVD, I have Moon again, which I keep hoping to watch with Sarah, but it hasn't worked out. Plus another early Varda and ... Visconti's The Leopard!

Think we'll get to I Am Love. Have Nanny McPhee from the library since it looks like I may be going to a junket for the sequel. Might be nice to have some familiarity.

On hand from Netflix: Arranged and Witnesses, both of which I saw a year or two ago at Whitehead Film Festival, but haven't been able to share them with my wife yet.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Think we'll get to I Am Love. Have Nanny McPhee from the library since it looks like I may be going to a junket for the sequel. Might be nice to have some familiarity.

On hand from Netflix: Arranged and Witnesses, both of which I saw a year or two ago at Whitehead Film Festival, but haven't been able to share them with my wife yet.

I loved Arranged. Any time I actually make it through a romantic comedy is a rare event; The Fisher King and Punch-Drunk Love are the only two other modern examples that come to mind. Witnesses sounds reminiscent of the excellent NBC show Boomtown that they cancelled after a season and a half, because that's how NBC rolls.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Train docs: The Atom Smashers last night (loved it), No Impact Man and Encounters at the End of the World as the weekend progresses. No trips to a theater until next week, but The Girl Who Played With Fire opens here Thursday.

Reporting in early this weekend as I won't be near a computer and have a very packed weekend. I will definitely be seeing The Girl Who Played With Fire tomorrow. Then I am planning to see Dogtooth, but some of it depends on what time my wife gets into town. If she gets here early, I will take her to I Am Love instead of Dogtooth.

I'll be finishing The U.S. vs. John Lennon, which has been a really cool, informative doc about half way in, and I'm hoping to see a film called The Violin, an old Film Movement film that I've wanted to see.

Speaking of which, Alamar should be showing up any day now...