To End All Wars

LoneTomato

I seeem to remember that it was vaguely implied that what was going on in the school as his motivation.

Matt

You're probably correct. However, it points again to the flaw of not giving enough information about the school.

I am guessing the filmmakers were worried about making the film too Christian. They didn't want to give too many details about the "Christian" aspects of the school. So instead the school comes across as more of a course in general humanities or Western Civilization. Thus, there's a heavy emphasis on Plato and Shakespearean soliloquies (which are "safer") more than teaching Scripture. (The only point Dusty seems to be teaching Scripture to students he doesn't call it out as such or clue you in that he's quoting the words of Jesus.)

I've been thinking of starting a thread in the filmmakers forum on things Christian filmmakers can learn from this film-- assuming there isn't already one there.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, the latest batch of MPAA ratings include an R ("for war-related violence") for something called To End All Wars: Director's Cut.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wait a minute. Christians were the "target audience" for this? I'm all in favour of films made BY Christians, but must we necessarily assume that such films are made FOR Christians?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Apparently the directors cut is motivated by this idea : "There was one primary reason for not reaching its target audience — the F-bomb."

Well, you see, there are Christian children who are old enough to watch all the blood, torture, and violence in this film (because of the good message, you see), but who aren't yet old enough for their ears to hear "dirty" words (in spite of the good message).