Sufjan Stevens?!? (update: interesting review)

opus

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Unless something else comes out in the next few months, the first officially published piece of Sufjan Stevens sheet music will be...

...a handbell arrangement of "The World's Columbian Exposition," i.e. the first half of "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" Arranged and published by moi. Yay.

Much thanks to Sufjan and Brother Danielson's dad.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Unless something else comes out in the next few months, the first officially published piece of Sufjan Stevens sheet music will be...

...a handbell arrangement of "The World's Columbian Exposition," i.e. the first half of "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" Arranged and published by moi. Yay.

Much thanks to Sufjan and Brother Danielson's dad.

Dale

Wonderful news. Congratulations.

Brother Danielson's dad (Lenny Smith) is a sweet guy. I only see him every couple years, at the Calvin College Festival of Faith and Music, but I always enjoy his company.

He's quite an interesting fellow. Lenny did very well in the early CCM world by writing praise choruses. I think "Our God Reigns" is his biggest worshiptastic blockbuster (I certainly recall singing it in the '70s), but there have been other successes as well. Those were all written when he was in Catholic seminary, studying to become a priest. But then Mama Smith happened along, and then Daniel and a couple other siblings, and well, the rest is history.

One of the things I love about Lenny is that he is truly, genuinely "out there" in every sense of the word. I'm not sure that his theology would pass the orthodoxy test. I know that he loves Jesus. And he shepherds a music movement that is characterized by its uncommercial strangeness. I mean that as a compliment, of course. But any old fart who has room and generosity in his life for the likes of Sufjan, Half Handed Cloud, Aaron Strumpel and Todd Fadel, etc. is more than okay with me.

Hey, Prins. That is really cool. Congrats and good for you!

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Pitchfork reports that Sufjan is working on a new album with the National.

But the National's Bryce Dessner, a friend of Sufjan, tells Exclaim! that Sufjan is at work on that elusive new album right now. According to Dessner, Stevens is recording the album at the National's Brooklyn studio.

Dessner says, "We've played on some of the tracks and been listening to some of the stuff as he's been working on it." He added, "It's going to be incredible. It's going to probably blow people's minds."

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Pitchfork reports that Sufjan is working on a new album with the National.

But the National's Bryce Dessner, a friend of Sufjan, tells Exclaim! that Sufjan is at work on that elusive new album right now. According to Dessner, Stevens is recording the album at the National's Brooklyn studio.

Dessner says, "We've played on some of the tracks and been listening to some of the stuff as he's been working on it." He added, "It's going to be incredible. It's going to probably blow people's minds."

You know, I've come to the conclusion that this Sufjan guy is pretty good. I have to admit, I burned out on Sufjan after Illinoise. That was such a mind-blowingly great album, and I listened to it so much (and saw him in concert four or five times on the album tour) that I just needed a break. Ironically enough, I listened to The Avalanche (the album of Illinoise outtakes) for the first time this morning. See, I told you I was burned out. You know what? It's pretty great, almost as good as the original, and there are only three artists out there who can pull off the ridiculous stunt of keeping some of their best material hidden away in the vaults (for those keeping score at home, that would be Dylan, Van, and Brooooce).

So this would be the long-awaited followup to Illinoise, eh? Okay! More sir, if you please.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Sufjan has stated in previous interviews that the whole "50 States" thing turned into a joke and that he wasn't going to continue it... but I guess he could always change his mind.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 month later...

I'm still making my way through the EP, but at first blush, it sounds like Sufjan is attempting to blend the huge, lavish orchestrations that he's become known for with quieter, intimate moments à la Seven Swans. The Steve Reich-isms that he's so well known for are diminished, if not entirely absent, with Stevens going for a more abstract, experimental sound which flows quite nicely into choirs and folksy acoustic guitar/banjo ballads.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 4 years later...

I know I'm late to the party, but pulled up Sufjan Steven's "Come On Feel the Illinoise" on Amazon Prime (fyi if you have Prime, you get access to their music and it's a game changer--goodbye Pandora and Spotify).

Holy cow, "John Wayne Gacy Jr" is an amazing song.  Like a swift punch to the gut with that last phrase.  Wow.

• 8 months later...