Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Links to our threads on the film versions of Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Goblet of Fire (2005), Order of the Phoenix (2007), Half-Blood Prince (2008) and Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011); and links to our threads on the book versions of Half-Blood Prince (2005) and Deathly Hallows (2007).

- - -

It's Harry Potter and a film of two halves: the final movie will be released in two parts

Harry Potter fans are set to get a double treat in the film of the final story -- and movie makers are set to double their money.

Crew working on the sixth Potter film, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, have been told J.K. Rowling's seventh novel, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, will be released in two halves. . . .

But sources insist the reason behind the two-movie plan is artistic rather than financial. . . .

The Mail on Sunday, January 12

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But sources insist the reason behind the two-movie plan is artistic rather than financial. . . .

The Mail on Sunday, January 12

Of course they are purely motivated by Art! <_<

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Personally, I don't know what to make of this.

On the one hand, I have always said that each of the Harry Potter books should have been adapted as a TV mini-series or a full season of an ongoing TV series -- after all, each book takes place over the course of one year at school, and shows like 24 have shown that you can sustain an entire mystery plot over a single TV season. And this way, there would be space for all those little character bits that are so delightful in the books but so frequently missing from the films.

But now that they have established a one-movie-per-book system, I kinda figure they should stick with it.

And what would they call the second film? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II? Or would they find some OTHER object to put after the words "and the"? And would the change in title affect the meaning in any way?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

And what would they call the second film? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II? Or would they find some OTHER object to put after the words "and the"? And would the change in title affect the meaning in any way?

Yeah, I was just thinking about the naming yesterday. Although I do feel that splitting the book into two films may make it easier to film, I feel that they are doing this too late. They should keep with one-movie per book. It seems like a last effort for them to pick our pockets.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com

Alan Thomas wrote:

: Harry Potter and A Deathly Hallow

: Harry Potter and A Deathlier Hallow

:lol:

• 1 month later...
Warner Bros. confirms that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be made in 2 parts. Part 1 to be released in Nov. 2010, followed by Part 2 in May 2011. Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 1 year later...

YES!!

- - -

Bill Nighy to star in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Former Pirates of the Caribbean star Bill Nighy is joining the cast of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as minister of magic Rufus Scrimgeour.

The 59-year-old, who once joked he was the "only British actor who hasn't been in Harry Potter", told reporters of his new role at a book festival launch.

BBC News, July 6

• 4 months later...

USA Today:

"It's going to feel very real," Yates says. "We're going for a vérité approach. Being away from Hogwarts, they're like these three refugees on the run. They're out in the big bad world, facing real danger, unguarded by those wonderful benign wizards at Hogwarts. They don't have a home to go to.

"We're kind of pulling away from the magic a bit and bringing more reality to it," he says.

Video Business:

Besides detailing Half-Blood Prince, Yates and others also offered some surprising sneak peeks to the final two theatrical installments of the Harry Potter franchise, slated for 2010 and 2011 release. At certain points, Radcliffe will appear naked.

In one scene, “a horcrux [carrying a piece of Voldemort’s soul] defends itself by producing nightmarish visions, and one shows Hermione and Harry embracing and kissing,” explained Yates. “It’s something intriguing and sensual for Rupert to react to, and Dan will be bare for that.”

No doubt as a warm-up to some big-screen remake of Equus.

The teaser for Part I has been leaked.

• 1 month later...

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' coming in 3D!

Warner Bros. will release the next two “Harry Potter” films in 3D.

Early 3D-conversion tests on Warners’ remake of “Clash of the Titans” have gone so well that -- combined with boosted enthusiasm for 3D in the wake of the “Avatar” tsunami -- the Burbank studio has decided to release not only “Titans” but also the two-part “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” in 3D.

Warners refused to confirm the decision Tuesday, but an announcement on “Titans” is expected by week’s end, and official word on the “Potter” pics surely will follow. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, January 26

• 1 month later...

Jason Isaacs:

"They made the last book into two films, and it was a fantastic experience because everyone who is left alive is back... and even some of the dead people," he said with a sly smile. "There is one long sequence where everyone who is left standing is there when the forces of good meet the forces of evil."

"I think over the years that they've been adapting these incredibly popular and successful books, they've increasingly become more and more confident in their ability to make great cinema experiences out of it and where they need to change the book or the central thrust of the story, they do it now with real aplomb and with Jo Rowling's blessing," he continued. "Everybody is very savvy to the notion that this is a much-loved franchise and this will be the end of an eighth film, and it needs to have weight and substance and you need to feel drained by the end of it. It's a ten-year roller coaster ride, not a two-hour roller coaster ride, and we all know it and we all felt it, and it was in the air while we were shooting it."

"This franchise goes out in an epic way," he concluded. "I think the end of the films will be a fantastically cinematic and visual feast and it will more than satisfy the readers of the books, but what you won't get is the book on screen. You will get something more and different."

Ciarán Hinds is playing Dumbledore's brother!?

That's... interesting, since they already had ANOTHER actor (named Jim McManus, pictured below) play Dumbledore's brother in Order of the Phoenix. Of course, he's listed in the credits as "Barman" or something like that, and the only reason anybody KNOWS that he's Dumbledore's brother is because the book version of Deathly Hallows came out around the same time that the film version of Order of the Phoenix came out.

Anyhoo. It looks like both of the Dumbledore brothers have been played by two actors apiece, now. And of course, Voldemort has been played by various different actors at various stages of his life. Who else in this franchise has been played by multiple actors, I wonder?

Aberforth1.PNG

Well, according to the TVTropes page on "Race Lift" (which, yes, I just happened to be reading the other day):

In the third Harry Potter film, a black actress was cast as Lavender Brown. Okay, in all honesty the "actress" was just an extra identified as Lavender in the credits. When Lavender appeared again in the sixth movie (with actual lines this time), blonde Jessie Cave was cast in an open audition. While one of the novels released after that film did mention that Lavender had the same skintone as (oh-so-very-white) Ron Weasley, there's no indication that the recast was an attempt to "correct" the original casting or even that the producers noticed the one minor mention of that fact.

Actually, according to the Harry Potter Wiki, there have been three Lavenders:

Lavender Brown the first

Lavender Brown the second

Lavender Brown the third

IMDB, however, only lists two Lavender Browns.

FWIW

Edited by NBooth
  • 2 months later...

If you've read the book, and you know what happens in the epilogue, and you want to see some photos from the set of the film version of that epilogue -- or if you HAVEN'T read the book but you don't mind catching a glimpse of some BIG FAT SPOILERS anyway -- click here.

• 1 month later...

I must admit that even considering the universal literacy of the world at large in regard to HP7, I'm a little shocked that the trailer is so free in it's usage of the final showdown between Voldemort and Harry. Not that there will be many people who don't know the ending, but it does make me wonder how many people have become Harry fans only through the films. There's also a great part of me that hopes the face off in the film has more presence than the trailer indicates.

Apart from that, looks like a grand spectacle. Loved that it has a slightly grittier aura to it, as I felt the final book was the same way in comparison with the others. I was especially pleased that the trailer emphasized the contrast between Harry's quip about having something to live for, and Voldemort's answer(?), "only I can live forever". It seems to be an early indication that the film will indeed deal with some of the more philosophical streams in the story. My fear has been for the final film that the filmmakers would miss the depth and complexity of the interplay that life, death, and resurrection play through the contrast of the hallows and horcruxes, and would instead go straight for the epic action/fantasy film jugular. Hopefully the trailer is an indication otherwise.

Edited to Add: I have another incentive for going to at least the midnight premiere of part 1: It's on my birthday! Woo!

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Joel C wrote:

: I must admit that even considering the universal literacy of the world at large in regard to HP7, I'm a little shocked that the trailer is so free in it's usage of the final showdown between Voldemort and Harry.

I thought about that too, FWIW, but then it occurred to me that pretty much everyone EXPECTS a "final showdown", and the trailer doesn't really reveal the chain of events that brings them to this point OR the actual result of that showdown. And for me, it was the "how" of all that stuff that really made a big impression while I was reading the book, rather than the simple fact that the showdown happened.

What I'm really keen to know is whether the Bible verses that Harry finds on a couple of tombstones are still quoted in the movie.

: Edited to Add: I have another incentive for going to at least the midnight premiere of part 1: It's on my birthday! Woo!

Sweet. :)

The trailer below was apparently included with the Lego video game. I don't think it's been shown in any theatres yet. Anyway. Note the glimpse of the Christmas Eve graveyard scene at the 40-second mark. I really, really hope the tombstones in the film will say what the tombstones in the book said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHEMgFGri_Y

• 2 months later...

Aha! At least one of the tombstones that Harry Potter sees WILL feature the Bible verse attributed to it in the book! You can just barely make it out at the 0:29 mark, especially if you watch the trailer in hi-def.

Now let's hope the movie keeps the dialogue around this verse, as well.

post-46-128522965358_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Early 3D-conversion tests on Warners’ remake of “Clash of the Titans” have gone so well that -- combined with boosted enthusiasm for 3D in the wake of the “Avatar” tsunami -- the Burbank studio has decided to release not only “Titans” but also the two-part “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” in 3D.

Warners refused to confirm the decision Tuesday, but an announcement on “Titans” is expected by week’s end, and official word on the “Potter” pics surely will follow. . . .

Warner Bros. axes 3D plans for new 'Harry Potter'

Warner Bros. has scuttled plans to release the new "Harry Potter" in 3D.

In a statement released Friday, the studio said that when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I" arrives in theaters on Nov. 19, it will be in 2D, playing both conventional theaters and IMAX, but that "we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window."

The statement continued: "Despite everyone's best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey." . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 8

Warner Bros. axes 3D plans for new 'Harry Potter'

Warner Bros. has scuttled plans to release the new "Harry Potter" in 3D.

In a statement released Friday, the studio said that when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I" arrives in theaters on Nov. 19, it will be in 2D, playing both conventional theaters and IMAX, but that "we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window."

The statement continued: "Despite everyone's best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey." . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 8

This is great news. I was going to be seeking out a non-3D showing and now I don't have to.

• 1 month later...

Whoa. How did we get so close to the movie's release date without me hearing that Alexandre Desplat composed the score? (I regret to say that I didn't discover his music until after I more-or-less stopped buying CDs, but I have greatly enjoyed his scores for movies like Birth, The Painted Veil, The Queen, Lust Caution, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, etc. Oh, and he also did The Golden Compass and one of the Twilight movies, so he's done the big-fantasy-franchise thing before, too.)