The Swell Season -- Strict Joy

It should be interesting to hear the response people have towards this one. While the Frames were around for quite sometime, my impression was that they had a moderate-sized devoted following. Certainly not enough to anticipate the reaction people had toward the Swell Season and Once. Now, they no longer the freedom from expectations. The public (myself included) will demand another "Falling Slowly". It will be interesting to see if they will catch lightning twice or will publicly go the way of Dido, David Gray, and any other artist who made a huge splash in the adult-contemporary world.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

It should be interesting to hear the response people have towards this one. While the Frames were around for quite sometime, my impression was that they had a moderate-sized devoted following. Certainly not enough to anticipate the reaction people had toward the Swell Season and Once. Now, they no longer the freedom from expectations. The public (myself included) will demand another "Falling Slowly". It will be interesting to see if they will catch lightning twice or will publicly go the way of Dido, David Gray, and any other artist who made a huge splash in the adult-contemporary world.

Personally, I won't be too upset if Hansard and Irglova go the way of Dido and David Gray. They made a nice, uplifting movie with a pleasant soundtrack. But the interesting music has been and will continue to be made by The Frames. I'm sure Hansard's checkbook has been considerably enhanced by Once. But I was a fan long before that movie, and I still prefer the music of The Frames.

Personally, I won't be too upset if Hansard and Irglova go the way of Dido and David Gray. They made a nice, uplifting movie with a pleasant soundtrack. But the interesting music has been and will continue to be made by The Frames. I'm sure Hansard's checkbook has been considerably enhanced by Once. But I was a fan long before that movie, and I still prefer the music of The Frames.

And don't forget the the really central song of the whole Once phenomenon ("Falling Slowly") was originally a Frames song.

Edited by Cunningham

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

I agree with Andy. I've been a longtime fan of the Frames so for me it's been a bit too long since he rocked out with those guys. The Cost was a fantastic piece and Burn the Maps even better, so it seems their most recent work reveals a prime worth hearing. I will say I was a big fan of the movie and think the music there was poetic and wonderful in places, but Hansard's talents need center stage for best results.

I guess I'll just be the loser contrarian that never really "got" the Frames. For whatever reason I could never get into the Frames, thus I was a bit surprised when I found myself liking the Swell Season a great deal.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

• 2 months later...

Listening to the NPR stream now. It's only my first listen and I'm multitasking while I listen, but to be honest, it's making me sleepy. It doesn't have the energy of their performances in Once (or their recent NPR Tiny Desk concert or their Austin City Limits performance, when Daniel Johnston joined them for a song). From what I'm reading on the forum, it sounds like I should check out Hansard's work with The Frames.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man Dives onto Stage in Suicide at Thursday's Swell Season Concert

Several who were at the concert tell All Shook Down that the man climbed up onto the roof from the side of the building, then sprinted and stumbled to the top before jumping off as the band was finishing a song. He fell approximately three stories, possibly through lighting rigging, then landed on a speaker on the stage less than three feet from Swell Season vocalist/songwriter Glen Hansard, witnesses tell All Shook down in e-mails.

Concertgoers say a stunned Hansard walked over to the man before realizing what had happened. Then he and Swell Season member Marketa Irglova quickly left the stage. The stunned audience was asked to remain seated as paramedics reached the man, but CPR was abandoned minutes after it began, and a helicopter was later called off.

"Glen was joking about his new guitar player, poking fun at one of his songs when a body shot down from above and slammed downstage left," one witness told All Shook Down in an e-mail. "The guy fell like a dead weight, not flailing, not screaming, just hitting the stage hard and bouncing from the impact. Even Glen didn't know what it was until he stood over it and realized a man had just launched himself from the top of the stone church-like building at the back of the stage."

Some of the comments at the link from people who attended the concert are heartbreaking (in the sense of "how do those of us that witnessed this deal with it?).

Edited by Clint M