Gods and Kings (a.k.a. Moses)

Peter T Chattaway

Link to our thread on the Moses project being developed at Fox. This thread is about the Moses project being developed at Warner.

Links to our threads on the 1923, 1956, 2006 and 2007 versions of The Ten Commandments.

- - -

Everything’s Coming Up Moses: Hollywood Readies Two Exodus Movies

Our (non-Caananite) spies inform us that not one but two Exodus epics featuring Moses are rapidly heating up in Hollywood thanks to a pair of heavyweight producers. At Warner Bros., producer Dan Lin — who developed the 2006 Best Picture, The Departed — and Matti Leshem are developing Moses, an epic version of the story of the Israelites’ departure from Egypt. Lin’s Exodus project has some interesting authors: British screenwriter Stuart Hazeldine and American TV writer turned screenwriter Michael Green. (For those unfamiliar with either, Hazeldine recently co-wrote an adaptation of the sci-fi classic The Tripods with Alex Proyas, for whom he’s also doing an adaptation of John Milton’s Paradise Lost for Warner Bros.–based Legendary Pictures. And though Green's best known for co-executive producing NBC’s Heroes — and creating the short-lived Kings — he's recently become Warner Bros.’ go-to guy for Spandex stories: Green wrote both the script for 2011's The Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds and the studio's planned adaptation of DC Comics' The Flash, due in 2013.) . . .

Vulture, New York, November 18

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 6 months later...

Scoop! Disney, Warner Bros Courting Darren Aronofsky For MALEFICENT, MOSES

Meanwhile, Warner Bros wants him to come to their Moses movie, one of two Moses projects bubbling in Hollywood (the other is set up at Fox). Produced by Dan Lin (Sherlock Holmes), the WB Moses movie would be about the Exodus, when Moses led the Jews out of Egypt and promptly got them lost in the desert.

Are either of these Aronofsky projects? He has had a Noah movie he has wanted to do forever – would he go for a different Old Testament story? . . .

Devin Faraci, Badass Digest, May 20

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...

Forget Aronofsky. How about...Steven Spielberg?

Forget Aronofsky. How about...Steven Spielberg?

Ooh. Yes.

I concur.

There’s something instantly appealing about the thought of Spielberg directing Hollywood's first major live-action take on Moses’ story since Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 crowning achievement, The Ten Commandments. Spielberg’s career as a filmmaker owes a great deal to DeMille. In fact, the first film Spielberg ever saw, at the age of seven, was Cecil B. DeMille’s penultimate picture, and the movie that made Charlton Heston a star, the Academy Award-winning The Greatest Show on Earth...

A Moses story is the sort of project that could possibly inspire and challenge Spielberg to strive for a crowning achievement comparable to The Ten Commandments in DeMille’s career.

Certainly he would want to bring an authentically Jewish sensibility to the story—in contrast DeMille’s opus, which, while respectful of Judaism, has been called “the most goyishe Jewish film ever created.”

At the same time, Spielberg would probably wish, as with The Prince of Egypt, to respect Christian as well as Muslim attachments to the story. His take would probably stick closer to the biblical narrative than DeMille’s film, though like any film it would also be a product of its own time and place.

A successful Spielberg-directed Moses story could be a cultural landmark of immense significance. It could have an impact on a scale similar to The Passion of the Christ, but without the polarizing controversy. It could give a fundamental biblical story new currency for generations to come. Like DeMille’s film, it might even help renew awareness of the Ten Commandments and the foundational role of the Judeo-Christian heritage in Western civilization...

Mr. Spielberg, please sign. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

SDG wrote:

: I concur.

For some reason the only quibble I have with your post is that you placed the closing parenthesis in one sentence AFTER the period even though it clearly belongs BEFORE the period.

For some reason the only quibble I have with your post is that you placed the closing parenthesis in one sentence AFTER the period even though it clearly belongs BEFORE the period.

If that's the only mistake I made, I'm glad. :) As has happened before, it was an editing glitch -- that parenthetical clause was originally written as a stand-alone sentence. Thanks for the catch.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• 1 month later...

Breaking news at Twitch:

Will Steven Spielberg be parting the Red Sea?

Deadline reported in late September that Warner Brothers had an interest in Steven Spielberg for their Moses epic Gods And Kings and Twitch has learned that the two sides have now entered into formal talks for the job.

Spielberg certainly has epic sized ambitions - and access to epic sized budgets - which would make him a solid choice for this sort of blockbuster material. Scripted by Michael Green and Stuart Hazeldine the film aims to tell the entire story of Moses' life, all the way from birth to death, which covers a great number of episodes - the freeing of the Hebrew slaves, the plagues in Egypt, receiving the ten commandments - each of which could easily fill their own film. So it's going to be big

I started a new thread, then found this one. So ignore the other thread.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

People who complain about the anti-climactic third acts in Spielberg`s recent films will have a field day if this movie really DOES try to capture the entirety of Moses` life. Wouldn`t it be something, though, if this film broke from the Ten Commandments / Prince of Egypt mold and placed the Exodus somewhere in the MIDDLE of the action, or perhaps at the end of the second act?

On the other hand, if the title really IS Gods and Kings, then I`m not sure how much attention this film could pay to the post-Exodus period of Moses` life, really. Because there weren`t exactly many kings involved there (unless you count the kings on the eastern shore of the Jordan River, who were conquered by Moses and/or Joshua shortly before Moses` death).

• 2 months later...

Steven Spielberg Near Commitment To Direct Moses Epic For Warner Bros

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg is near to etching in stone with Warner Bros on that biopic portraying the Jewish leader as the warrior to beat all warriors. With a working title of Gods And Kings, what’s envisioned is “a movie like a Braveheart-ish version of the Moses story,” an insider tells me. “Him coming down the river, being adopted, leaving his home, forming an army, and getting the Ten Commandments.” And despite the awesome screen possibilities of the parting of the Red Sea, the movie isn’t being contemplated in 3D. Back in 1956, Paramount release The Ten Commandments in VistaVision to give moviegoers a more spectacular experience of scenes like that. But this film is as far from a remake of the Cecile B. DeMille-directed epic as you can get even though they cover similar ground. Instead Warner Bros wants Speilberg to direct it with the gritty reality of Saving Private Ryan, which is considered a masterpiece redefining battle movies. ”There have been glossy versions of the Moses story but this would be a real warrior story,” an insider tells me. . . .

Nikki Finke and Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, January 25

Ryan H. wrote:

: A "warrior" story, eh, with Moses raising an army?

: Doesn't sound like the Biblical account.

Oh, I dunno. One of the first things the Israelites did under Moses -- even before they arrived at Mount Sinai -- was to engage the Amalekites in a battle. I remember being kind of surprised, as a kid, when I read through Exodus for the first time and realized that DeMille's movie had actually skipped over such a major event.

(The battle in question became the casus belli for the genocide against the Amalekites that Samuel and Saul attempted a couple centuries later... and that, in turn, spurred Haman to try to wipe out the Jews another five centuries later...)

(And there are later military engagements in Numbers and Deuteronomy, all before Moses died. And this is before we get to the extra-biblical accounts of Moses leading EGYPTIAN armies during his days as an Egyptian prince...)

• 1 year later...

Deadline:

First up, Steven Spielberg has ended his
with directing
Gods And Kings
, the epic-sized Warner Bros film about life of Moses based on the script by Michael Green and Stuart Hazeldine. That puts Warner Bros in a bind because of the rival Moses project, the Adam Cooper/Bill Collage-scripted
Exodus
, which is gathering steam at Fox, with Ridley Scott looking to mobilize that as soon as he completes
The Counselor
. But Warner Bros is now out to Ang Lee, who just won the Best Director Oscar for
Life Of Pi
. I’m told he’s intrigued with the project but hasn’t had a formal meeting on the script. Imagine what either director can do with that subject matter, and with the
, the audience is certainly there. Spielberg hasn’t dropped the project for another; while
, he hasn’t replaced it with anything as he continues to develop that robot pic.

I like Ang Lee quite a bit, but I'm bummed Spielberg has walked away from this project.

It's confusing, I know, but this is actually the wrong thread. The Christian Bale news is for the Ridley Scott's EXODUS, which is associated with this thread (which, as far as my contributions are concerned, is somewhat embarassing, but whatcha gonna do).

Edited by Ryan H.