Frances Ha (2012)

Overstreet

I love this line from Mike D'Angelo's Letterboxd blurb:

Like Greenberg without Greenberg, which is exactly what I wanted.

And this sound promising:

Frances is undoubtedly Gerwig's creation, and I predict will turn out to be the apotheosis of her nouveau-Annie Hall persona...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 months later...

If this is playing near you, you should really try to catch it. The screenwriting recalls Woody Allen at his wittiest and funniest, but there is a sense of optimism and love for all the characters with their messy flaws and loveable eccentricities (sort of like a Coen film) that's never found in Allen (maybe Midnight in Paris excepted).

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Sarah and I have a date night scheduled for Friday, and we're supposed to see a movie after we eat dinner. She doesn't usually last through late shows -- dinner will take us past the 7:30-ish showtimes -- but she sounds game to try.

I've been advocating to see "The Great Gatsby" in 2D, but she seems uninterested. I think she's expressed interest in "Frances Ha," which is playing nearby, so I may suggest it as an alternative.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It's full of wonderful moments. But it also has some jolts of frank, cringe-inducing sexual references. If that's likely to upset a romantic evening out, steer clear. Think early Woody Allen romantic comedies, but with more explicit sex talk.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Duly noted. Might be a hindrance.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I thought sexual references were about on par with Manhattan, but I suppose that is more explicit than Allen usually is. It's not as explicit as say, the diner scene in Silver Linings Playbook, but it's frank enough to limit the film's appeal, unfortunately. (FWIW, I think I'd feel safer recommending this than Manhattan, but it would be a close call.)

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

• 3 weeks later...

Great movie. I came down off Cloud 9 during the second half, but not too far off it. I was taking notes early, set my book aside to get up and get a coffee refill, returned to find my book fallen off the chair and my pen nowhere in sight.

I'm happy that I have so few notes to look back on, but I'm also not sure what to single out as a highlight (well, Gerwig, obviously), or lowlight. I feel hamstrung by my lack of notes, even though my notes are usually close to useless.

• 1 month later...

Whoo-hoo!

(At this point, it's still my #1 film of 2013.)

(At this point, it's still my #1 film of 2013.)

You need to watch Before Midnight again. smile.png

I think you need to watch Frances Ha again.  :)

Seriously though, Before Midnight is currently a close #2 for me.

Does that mean Netflix won't be carrying it?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Does that mean Netflix won't be carrying it?

Probably, but if you unsubscribe from Netflix for a month or two which you then use to catch up on some Criterion titles on Hulu Plus, it won't cost anything extra.

Not to hijack the thread, but since I don't know anything at all about Hulu - are there other 2013 releases that I would be able to catch up on with them?

• 2 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I guess that answers Stef's question. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to pre-order the Criterion blu-ray? Eh, it'll be worth having anyway.

It's nice to see they managed to put it out there for streaming; this is also at the top of my DVD queue. I heard rumors earlier in the year that Gerwig could possibly be nominated for her role here. I wonder if the buzz has died down simply due to its early release date.

Edited by Persona

I guess that answers Stef's question. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to pre-order the Criterion blu-ray? Eh, it'll be worth having anyway.

It's nice to see they managed to put it out there for streaming; this is also at the top of my DVD queue. I heard rumors earlier in the year that Gerwig could possibly be nominated for her role here. I wonder if the buzz has died down simply due to its early release date.

I think Gerwig should be nominated. She makes this movie what it is. My favourite performance of the year perhaps.

Anyway, with the frequency with which Netflix adds and removes titles from streaming, it is probably worth owning the Criterion Blu-ray. Also, Blu-ray HD is still leaps ahead of streaming "HD." 

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I'm starting to think of this as a less cynical, more caring--and enjoyably comical--Young Adult.

That may or may not be a helpful comparison for some of what's going on in the film, but there it is.

"What is inside is also outside." -Goethe via Merleau-Ponty, in conclusion to the latter's one extended rumination on film
Filmwell, Twitter, & Letterboxd