Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)

Anodos

• 4 months later...

The Malick is strong with this one.

BTW, the writer/director, David Lowery, edited Upstream Color with Shane Carruth. He's made a few other movies, but he seems to have more experience editing.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

This is why I'm glad Malick is still exploring. There will be plenty of Malick disciples to bring that kind of style to narrative-based filmmaking.

I've been tracking this one for a while, and the reviews are very encouraging. I first encountered Lowery as a film blogger several years ago and have enjoyed his writing on film very much. I've been very curious about St. Nick. It's exciting to see some of his own work reach this stage of broad exposure.

I'm also excited to see Rooney Mara play something besides a psycho.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Some Letterboxd reactions/reviews coming in from critics I follow. Here are two "lichs" and a Marsh.

David Ehrlich

Keith Ulich

Calum Marsh

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this yesterday evening and then it kept me up much of the night, mostly because of one line: I only see good. (That can't be a spoiler if I don't give any context or say who speaks it.) Trying to unload that line at 3 in the morning probably isn't very productive.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw the film today.

It's exquisite. The phrase that comes to mind, when trying to describe the film, is "a really good melodrama."

Because it is that, a melodrama, but also a convincing one.

It shares a lot in common with both To the Wonder and Upstream Color, though I'm inclined to say that, as a film, it's better than both of those (as much as I love Carruth and think he has the potential to become a great director).

There's a lot to discuss, really, but has anyone seen it?

@Timzila

"It is the business of fiction to embody mystery through manners, and mystery is a great embarrassment to the modern mind." (Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners).

I just bought my ticket to see the film at the local festival on October 4. I have no idea if it will get a regular release here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 months later...