Hopefully I am not starting a duplicate...search was not pulling anything up.

I remember seeing ads last year, but I kept missing it...Showtime had it in the on demand lineup, I added it to my queue and found out that it expired two days later and I never got to watch. I discovered it was back in Showtime's on-demand listings on Sunday and added it...turns out it expires today, so I watched last night.

The basic gist of the documentary is following the punk artists of the mid-eighties-ninties and what happened when they went from being angry kids making music to piss off their parent to being...well...parents.

It begins simply enough, with background on the punk movement and the artists being profiled, juxtaposing it with the current life a lot of these guys are leading. This also creates a problem the first half of the film struggles with. It is very regular talking heads stuff.

It focuses heavily on Pennywise's Jim Lindberg. Linberg's story makes sense, it is a nicely touching story about how family can cause a change in priorities. And really, Jim is probably the more relateable for non-punk fans. Linberg seems quite passionate about being a solid father above a rebellious punk icon.

And that is why the second half of the film is so much stronger. For most of the fathers interviewed, kids gave their life unexpected purpose. Seeing Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers starting to cry about his kids is touching. He makes a comment about the old parental adage "I gave you life..." and says that for him it was the opposite. His children gave HIM life. Seeing the heartache from several of the guys as they discuss the poor parenting examples they grew up with, and their desire to be better parents than what they themselves had is definitely touching.

The second half of the film is just so thoughtful, the first half seems to feel disconnected. But I still really did like this one overall.

(apparently Jason Segal just sold a pitch based on the doc for a comedy)

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Weird, I could have sworn we had a thread on this...remember specifically discussing my review with Stef...maybe in the Virginia Film Festival thread? Or maybe it was Facebook.

Anyhow:

Listen, I’ll admit that I don’t have kids of my own, and, as such, I have less patience than a hummingbird on speed for those who want brownie points for loving their wives or wanting to spend time with their kids. If I may quote Rita O’Grady from Made in Dagenham, “That’s as it should be.” Am I happy that these guys, almost all of whom seem very nice and to whom I hope I would be respectably nice to at a hypothetical PTA meeting, have found a sense of purpose in life and gotten off the fast track to what they now see could very easily have been a premature grave? Abso-fucking-lutley. But they act like they are the first parents in the history of the world to have missed a kid’s birthday party or school recital because they had to make the flippin’ donuts.
Edited by kenmorefield