2013: Favorite Songs and A&F Participant Playlists

I'll keep updating my Favorite Songs of 2013 list into January 2014... but the rough draft is up and open for business on Spotify.

Do you have one available for sharing?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Your five favorite songs of 2013. Go.

Mine (subject to revision):

1. "All of It Was Music" - Over the Rhine (One of their most beautiful songs. And it was inspired by something Pete Horner said while I was interviewing him, so I have a particularly strong personal fondness for it.)

3. "Love is Lost - Hello Steve Reich Mix" - David Bowie (This Bowie remix by James Murphy goes on more than ten minutes, and I wish it went on for another ten. Incredibly inventive, and it thrillingly recycles a hook from a Bowie classic.)

2. "GMF" - John Grant (Probably the only song I've ever celebrated that needs a serious obscenity warning. But man, if this isn't the funniest and most irresistibly melodic song I heard all year. And if you're paying attention to the lyrics, the song suddenly becomes twice as awesome when you realize who's singing backup vocals late in the song.)

4. "Shenandoah" - Tom Waits with Keith Richards (And who wouldn't want to sing along with a pub full of drunken sailors, led by Tom Waits and Keith Richards? This is just too good to be true.)

5. "Diane Young" - Vampire Weekend (The kind of blisteringly great rock song that I still believe — naively — that U2 could write if they wanted to.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Working on my list for Image - here's a preview. This year I am not writing commentary, but matching songs with passages from favorite writers/works.

1 Ya Hey, Vampire Weekend

I cannot say, "I know what I am: I am this and nothing else." I wouldn't say, "I am an atheist" and I wouldn't say, "I am a believer" either. I find the statement absolutely ridiculous. Who can say, "I am a believer?" Who knows that? Who can affirm and confirm that he or she is a believer? And who can say, "I am an atheist?"

Jacques Derrida

2 So Long, Hem

Nothing is absolutely dead; every meaning will have its homecoming festival.

Mikhail Bakhtin

9 The Horrors, Lee Bozeman

All at once it became clear to me that this woman was dearly loved. And it was as if she were like a stone that has been lying in the sun for years and years, absorbing all its radiant warmth, and now was reflecting back cheerfulness and warmth and serenity.

Helmut Theileke

10 Residence of Rome, The Cellar Door

One of the peculiar ironies of being a human self in the Cosmos: A stranger approaching you in the street will in a second's glance see you whole, size you up, place you in a way in which you cannot and never will, even though you have spent a lifetime with yourself, live in the Century of the Self, and therefore ought to know yourself best of all.

Walker Percy

11 Chum, Earl Sweatshirt

How do we forgive our fathers? 

Sherman Alexie

• 3 weeks later...

The Blow - "You're My Light."   I got married in 2013, which was delightful in a year that was otherwise kind of rough.  Khaela Maricich is still one of the most emotionally insightful lyricists working and this song nails how i feel better than nearly any.

Saturday Looks Good To Me - "The Everpresent New Times Condition"  Another of this era's great lyricists, Fred Thomas, toiling away at the margins.

Lake - "Do You Recall"   What happens when your favorite band digs in their heels and mines deeper.

Priests - "Leave Me Alone"  I recorded this!  I'm proud of it!

O Paon - "Hors-Terre"  The title means "above ground."  The cover art depicts a teenage girl sleeping atop a backyard swimming pool.   Super profound window into the emotional life of adolescent girls.

Off the top of my head...

Over the Rhine, "Wait" (though I could pick almost any from their album)

North Mississippi All-Stars, "Turn Up Satan"

John Smith, "Great Lakes"

Brandy Clark, "Just Like Him"

Elvis Costello and the Roots, "Walk Us Uptown"

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

My five favorites, for now:

1. Daniel Amos, "Dig Here Said the Angel"

2. Gogol Bordello, "Lost Innocent World"

3. Over the Rhine, "Sacred Ground"

4. Local Natives, "Colombia"

5. Richard Thompson, "Good Things Happen to Bad People"

Edited by Crow

Here is my list! Will also be up at Good Letters later this week. http://unscene.blogspot.ca/2013/12/look-at-light-songs-from-2013.html

"Ya Hey," Vampire Weekend

"Riddles," Hymnalya

"Song of Praise (from a Recovering Cynic)", Church of the Beloved

"Act Justly," Jeff Hawker

"Against a Sea of Troubles," Five Iron Frenzy

"Look at the Light," Sin Fang

"Jesuselectricity," David Ahlen

"Strange Interlude," betacicadae 

"Afterlife," Arcade Fire

"The Horrors," Lee Bozeman

"Residence of Rome," The Cellar Door

"Chum," Earl Sweatshirt