Southcliffe is another one of those "Netflix exclusives" that originally aired outside the US (the UK, in this case) last year. It's about a reporter, played by Rory Kinnear, who investigates a mass shooting in his old hometown, Southcliffe. Eddie Marsan is in it, too.

The entire series (4 episodes) was directed by Sean Durkin (Martha Marcy May Marlene) and written by Tony Grisoni (The Red Riding trilogy).

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I saw this last year at TIFF. Watched it all in one go, which was a bit tiring. But it was solid. If you liked Grisoni's RED RIDING trilogy, that's a better gauge than Durkin's earlier film.

My capsule review.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Two episodes in (i.e. halfway through), and Southcliffe isn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be more of a mystery, but the who (and even why, to some degree) of the shooting are made clear by the end of the first episode. The second episode is more complex than the first, both in the number of characters it introduces and in its structure; it jumps back and forth in time a lot, and it's not immediately obvious when a given scene is taking place. I've been able to get my bearings back pretty quickly with each jump, though.

Rory Kinnear is only in a few scenes in each of the first two episodes, too. Each one has focused on different characters and showed who they are and what they're doing in the day or two before and after the shooting.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog