Emmy Award Nominations

Do the Emmys even matter any more?

Not much, to me, since they routinely ignore programs and actors I've considered to be among the best, and seem to repeatedly crown the same set of shows and celebrities--with a few notable exceptions. I've come to think the Emmys are even more politically influenced than the Academy Awards.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Ditto, Beth. Seems like every year, the Emmy folks boast about changes to the system that result in a more diverse batch of nominees. But aside from a few token nods for Joan of Arcadia and Deadwood, this year's is the usual list of suspects (Sopranos, West Wing, Raymond, Sex and the City).

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

The nominees are the "usual suspects," but let's not forget that some of those suspects, like the HBO dramas, unseated previous network fare that was nominated year after year. The year that "The Sopranos" was nominated for everything under the sun was a pretty big deal.

Nevertheless, the Emmys are a predictable drag. The Grammys, though, rank as the worst awards show, IMHO, because I actually care about music, while little on TV stirs me enough to upset me when it is or isn't honored.

I'm not counting the Tonys in this discussion. It's never really been in the game, in my opinion, because it's such a restricted, New York-focused event.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 year later...

Wow...The West Wing for best 2005 drama?

That makes almost as much sense as Peter Krause for best actor,

what was he in, like two whole episodes last season before Nate died

?

Peace.

Ken

P.S. Oh and here's your link, I guess.

Edited by kenmorefield

:spoilers: Six Feet Under :spoilers:

Oh and while I'm picking on the West Wing, Martin sheen for lead actor in a Drama series?

what did he appear in, like one more episode than Peter Krause?

I'm not saying it should be hard to win an Emmy. I do think you should have to, you know...show up.

Peace.

Ken

It wouldn't have been my first choice, but the final season of "The West Wing" was easily its best since the Sorkin years. I have no qualms about its nomination.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Sure they don't matter, but I'm happy to see Will Arnett (GOB) get a nomination for Arrested Development.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• 7 years later...
  • 7 months later...