Firefly

Croaker

I'm jumping in here without actually having read this thread (I want to totally avoid spoilers), I just started watching this show, finishing disc 1 yesterday. My verdict:

What a freaking sweet show! My disappoinment with the Star Wars prequels has found a positive counterpoint: this show is what they could have been. I'm a bit upset I can't get to the video store until tonight and am going to have to wait a bit longer to catch the rest of the series. Goodness grief I think the only shows that have gotten me this excited this quickly are: Lost, Alias, and Twin Peaks, which is mighty good company.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Browncoats, Kyle!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

No kidding. I casually mentioned to someone yesterday that I was watching the show and she about flipped her lid. It was like I told her she had won a million dollars or something. Her reaction led me to believe people really, really like this show.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Kyle, I've met very, very few people who are ambivalent to Firefly; though a few that've seen it aren't fans, most are head-over-heels insane about it. Me included!

(I actually just bought the pencil and paper RPG based on the series the other day...just have to find people to play it!)

I couldn't agree more. I've loaned my copy of Firefly out to many of my friends, who have in turn all fallen head-over-heels in love with it.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

I couldn't agree more. I've loaned my copy of Firefly out to many of my friends, who have in turn all fallen head-over-heels in love with it.

I received an extra copy as a present, which is great--now I can lend the extra and keep one copy safe at home!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

I've been sorely tempted to buy a few extra copies to use as "loaners" for friends, family, people I don't know, etc.... :D

I wrote a little bit about my love of Firefly here. It doesn't begin to capture how good the show actually is, or how much I love it, but it is a start.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

• 1 year later...

Book's backstory to be revealed!

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

They're jumping straight to graphic novel instead of doing individual issues? Interesting. There are very few times when comic book companies decide that's financially viable.

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

They're jumping straight to graphic novel instead of doing individual issues? Interesting. There are very few times when comic book companies decide that's financially viable.

My guess is that they're banking on the Browncoats and the rest of the rather rabid/devoted Whedon fanbase.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 3 months later...

Nathan Fillion and Firefly's writers are ready continue the show:

When Nathan Fillion announced yesterday he'd love to step into the tight pants of Capt. 'Mal' Reynolds again, we of course liked the idea, but also thought ... well, what's the chance of that? But today, now that a couple of Firefly writers chimed in to say they'd also climb on board a new Firefly in a heartbeat, we're instead asking—could there really be a chance of that?

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Please. The LAST time the series was revived, it led to a movie which killed off two of the most appealing characters. So bringing the show back is pretty much an impossibility, now -- at least in anything resembling its previous form.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Please. The LAST time the series was revived, it led to a movie which killed off two of the most appealing characters. So bringing the show back is pretty much an impossibility, now -- at least in anything resembling its previous form.

Serenity did take place around what would have been, IIRC, the fifth season of Firefly. So they theoretically could do a reboot with the entire cast that would fill in the gaps between the end of the show and the start of the movie.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I sing the following to my son on a daily basis:

Take my life...

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Serenity when it was first in theatres and loved it. I subsequently bought the series and enjoyed those to. I really do need to re-watch the series because I've forgotten a lot of it but it had plenty of quotable quotes, a terrific atmosphere and chemistry between the cast/characters. There are very few shows where you cannot tamper with any of the casting choices but Firefly is one of those shows. Plus, it had some great guest stars as well (Gregory Itzin and Christina Hendricks - twice [and she's hot!]).

Oddly, one of my best friends wasn't too impressed with the film. Something's wrong with him. :(

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 1 month later...

I'm writing a paper about Firefly/Serenity for grad school, and one of the sources I found is Faith and Choice in the Works of Joss Whedon. I've only read the Shepherd Book chapter, but the author seems pretty insightful.

I'll tell her you said so.

You've probably already found some good stuff, too, in Investigating Firefly: Science Fiction on the Frontier, ed. Wilcox & Cochran.

You've probably already found some good stuff, too, in Investigating Firefly: Science Fiction on the Frontier, ed. Wilcox & Cochran.

My library doesn't have that one, actually. I found most of my sources from a Firefly/Serenity issue of Slayage from a few years ago.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...