Top 100 Nom Omits

Here's a thread to file away films we either forgot or deliberately chose not to nominate, which based on past attention, buzz or discussion might have been expected to be pushed forward.

I'll start--no SECRET SUNSHINE!  I consider that a loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was mentioned over the +1 thread, but I kinda wish I would have nominated The Ninth Configuration, but felt it might not have been appreciated by some of the others voting in this list (not part of the contemplative canon, not from a well-regarded auteur).

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I strongly debated nominating Andrzej Żuławski's Possession and Hiroshi Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes, but ultimately figured they were too "out there" for this particular list. I tried to focus on films that prompted some sort of paradigm shift, either in my understanding of what the cinematic medium was capable of and/or my own understanding of God/transcendence/existence itself. Both films had a profound affect on me when I watched them, but both are kinda bonkers in their own unique ways.

Koreeda's Our Little Sister was the hardest cut for me, but I couldn't quite convince myself, as much as I love the film, that I could lobby for it in terms of this list's distinctives. I figured it *might* get nominated and I would be sadder if nothing Koreeda got nominated, but I ultimately preferred Kurosawa's High & Low even though I knew other Kurosawa would probably get ranked ahead of it.  

I think Anders nominated After Life and somebody (maybe Christian?) did Nobody Knows. Both are worthy films that I can and will wrestle with in terms of thinking about them on this list. 

That's so great, Ken.  I had OUR LITTLE SISTER in the first draft of my list, paired with Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN.  It's such a great film, but I came to the same conclusion you did--that despite all of the reasons I love it, they aren't the specific reasons why this list exists, in my mind.  I have an idiosyncratic soft spot for films that portray the dynamic between four sisters.  Who knew?  Still, LITTLE WOMEN still made the cut because I think her screenplay really is an amazing thing--an arrangement that reassembles that well-trod story into a narrative of the Eternal Now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not exactly a response to the way the question was framed (since I didn't consider nominating it and don't have much regret) but I am genuinely surprised that Wall-e was nominated but Inside Out was not.

3 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

I strongly debated nominating Andrzej Żuławski's Possession and Hiroshi Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes, but ultimately figured they were too "out there" for this particular list. I tried to focus on films that prompted some sort of paradigm shift, either in my understanding of what the cinematic medium was capable of and/or my own understanding of God/transcendence/existence itself. Both films had a profound affect on me when I watched them, but both are kinda bonkers in their own unique ways.

I love Woman in the Dunes. Taught it in a film class on modernism I did a while back. Have you read Abe's book? I have it on my shelf, but haven't got around to it.

3 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Not exactly a response to the way the question was framed (since I didn't consider nominating it and don't have much regret) but I am genuinely surprised that Wall-e was nominated but Inside Out was not.

I'm glad. I definitely prefer Wall-E on the whole. I have never understood the love of Inside Out, since I have real issues with its conception of interiority and emotions (particularly the limited pallet). Here's where I'm sure I'll get some pushback: I'm not sure any Pixar film belongs on this list, as much as I really enjoy a number of them.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

13 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

WALL-E is still one of my 3 favorite films ever, and I think its focus on care for the environment as well as its portrayal of awe and wonder makes it a perfect fit for the list.

As I said in the other thread, I'm surprised and a little disappointed Touch of Evil was omitted. I'm surprised no one included Heat or The Insider, and I think it would have been nice to have Life of Brian in the running.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

I'm not surprised that Wall-e was nominated just that it was and Inside Out was not. For that matter, maybe Up! as well. I'm sort of with Anders in my overall feelings about Pixar in general, which makes it hard for me to gauge the response of its more enthusiastic supporters.

I understand -- or at least think I do -- the preference for some other films about race or from Black directors, but I do sort of wish someone had nominated 12 Years a Slave

I also fully expecting to find myself making an argument for Milos Foreman's Ragtime, though I suspect that might have needed some arm twisting. But in Ken's perfect world, it would at least be in the running.

I never seriously considered it since Fever Pitch took up my postmodernism/Hornby slot, but...Lone Scherfig's An Education would have been a welcome nomination for me.

37 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

I never seriously considered it since Fever Pitch took up my postmodernism/Hornby slot, but...Lone Scherfig's An Education would have been a welcome nomination for me.

When I was considering my +1, An Education was certainly on my short list. A film I've grown to esteem more and more over the years.

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

43 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

I understand -- or at least think I do -- the preference for some other films about race or from Black directors, but I do sort of wish someone had nominated 12 Years a Slave

Right now, 12 Years is in contention with When the Levees Broke for my +1.  I'm quite torn between them.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

2 hours ago, Evan C said:

WALL-E is still one of my 3 favorite films ever, and I think its focus on care for the environment as well as its portrayal of awe and wonder makes it a perfect fit for the list.

As I said in the other thread, I'm surprised and a little disappointed Touch of Evil was omitted. I'm surprised no one included Heat or The Insider, and I think it would have been nice to have Life of Brian in the running.

I wanted to only pick a single Welles film, and of them, I think Chimes at Midnight fits this list best.

Tsai - Stray Dogs

Bing - Three Sisters

Roeg - Walkabout

Almereyda - Experimenter

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Normally when I encounter a work of art that criticizes a particular point of Christian theology or  common practice I think I've developed a fairly even-handed ability to discern whether it's a good faith criticism or a bad faith criticism.  I hope that doesn't come across as arrogant.  In any event, the scene where Shin-ae visits the man in prison strikes me as an extraordinarily good faith criticism of orthodox theology.

1 hour ago, Joel Mayward said:

Did we really not nominate Bergman's Persona

If we're limiting ourselves to two or even three films per director, that's not a Bergman I'm going to include with either of those limits. I do love the film, but there are at least four Bergman's I'd include for this list ahead of it.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

I just watched Where are My Children? and now I'm wondering how we possibly let The Hypocrites slide, because that's a stronger fit for Lois Weber.

Edited by Evan C