And the feature-length nominated films are (with the ones I've seen in bold)...

10 nominations

• Mank -- Picture, director (David Fincher), actor (Gary Oldman), supporting actress (Amanda Seyfried), cinematography, production design, costume design, makeup and hairstyling, original score, sound

6 nominations

• The Father -- Picture, actor (Anthony Hopkins), supporting actress (Olivia Colman), adapted screenplay, production design, film editing
  • Minari -- Picture, director (Lee Isaac Chung), actor (Steven Yeun), supporting actress (Yuh-Jung Youn), original screenplay, original score
  • Nomadland -- Picture, director (Chloe Zhao), actress (Frances McDormand), adapted screenplay, cinematography, film editing
  • Sound of Metal -- Picture, actor (Riz Ahmed), supporting actor (Paul Raci), original screenplay, film editing, sound
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 -- Picture, supporting actor (Sacha Baron Cohen), original screenplay, cinematography, film editing, original song

6 nominations in 5 categories

• Judas and the Black Messiah -- Picture, supporting actor (Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield), original screenplay, cinematography, original song

5 nominations

• Ma Rainey's Black Bottom -- actor (Chadwick Boseman), actress (Viola Davis), production design, costume design, makeup and hairstyling
  • Promising Young Woman -- Picture, director (Emerald Fennell), actress (Carey Mulligan), original screenplay, film editing

4 nominations

• News of the World -- cinematography, production design, original score, sound

3 nominations

• One Night in Miami... -- supporting actor (Leslie Odom Jr.), adapted screenplay, original song
  • Soul -- animated feature, original score, sound

2 nominations

• Another Round -- director (Thomas Vinterberg), international feature film
  • Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan -- supporting actress (Maria Bakalova), adapted screenplay
  • Collective -- international feature film, documentary feature
  • Emma -- costume design, makeup and hairstyling
  • Hillbilly Elegy -- supporting actress (Glenn Close), makeup and hairstyling
  • Mulan -- costume design, visual effects
  • Pinocchio -- costume design, makeup and hairstyling
  • Tenet -- production design, visual effects

1 nomination

• Better Days -- international feature film
  • Crip Camp -- documentary feature
  • Da 5 Bloods -- original score
  • Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga -- original song
  • Greyhound -- sound
  • The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se) -- original song
  • Love and Monsters -- visual effects
  • The Man Who Sold His Skin -- international feature film
  • The Midnight Sky -- visual effects
  • The Mole Agent -- documentary feature
  • My Octopus Teacher -- documentary feature
  • The One and Only Ivan -- visual effects
  • Onward -- animated feature
  • Over the Moon -- animated feature
  • Pieces of a Woman -- actress (Vanessa Kirby)
  • Quo Vadis, Aida? -- international feature film
  • A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon -- animated feature
  • Time -- documentary feature
  • The United States vs Billie Holiday -- actress (Andra Day)
  • The White Tiger -- adapted screenplay
  • Wolfwalkers -- animated feature

If the number of nominations determines who wins Best Picture, then Mank would seem to be the clear favorite here. However, my *sense* is that the praise for Mank is fairly broad but not very deep; in the Vancouver Film Critics Circle, for example, Mank got more nominations than any other film but won *nothing* in the end. Sometimes having a lot of nominations simply means you're everyone's second or third choice for a lot of stuff but not that you're a widespread first choice. (And note: Mank did *not* get nominations for writing *or* editing, two categories that films almost always have to get nominated in before they can win Best Picture.)

And if being nominated for directing, writing and editing determines who wins Best Picture, then the clear favorites are Nomadland and Promising Young Woman.

I'm a little swamped at the moment and don't really have time to look for any other curiosities or precedents here, though I did note in the individual category threads that Judas and the Black Messiah curiously seems to have no lead actors, only supporting actors, and that this is the first year in which multiple women have been nominated for directing.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Cartoon Brew notes a few things about the animation nominees:

• This year marks the first time Pixar has two nominees in the feature category.
  • Earwig and the Witch is the first Studio Ghibli film to *not* get a nomination since 2011's From Up on Poppy Hill.
  • Three of the five feature nominees would have been streaming releases even without Covid, and a fourth film went to streaming as a result of the pandemic. (Onward, which came out theatrically just a week or two before the lockdowns began, is the exception.) This is the first time streamers have accounted for a majority of the nominees.
  • All but one of the animated shorts are 2D (the exception being the CGI Yes-People; even the Pixar film, Burrow, is 2D).

Since the first post in this thread just lists feature films, I should note that the other three animated-short nominees are Genius LociIf Anything Happens I Love You (Netflix's first nominee in the animated-short category) and Opera.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Posted (edited)

Incidentally, I double-checked the For Your Consideration screener for Judas and the Black Messiah, and it does list Lakeith Stanfield as a *lead* actor, so that just makes it all the more curious that he got nominated in the *supporting* category (alongside his co-star Daniel Kaluuya; will sharing the category with him split the JatBM vote?).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Other notable stats and facts:

Mank is about the making of Citizen KaneMank has ten nominations; Citizen Kane had nine (and won just one, for the script, which was co-written by Mank himself).

Anthony Hopkins, at 83, is the oldest best actor nominee ever. (The oldest nominee in *any* acting category is Christopher Plummer, who was nominated at 88 for All the Money in the World after becoming the oldest acting-award *winner* at 82 for Beginners.)

Riz Ahmed is the first Muslim to be nominated for best lead actor (Mahershala Ali won twice in the *supporting* actor category), and his nomination alongside Steven Yeun marks the first time two actors of Asian descent have been nominated for best actor.

Glenn Close is now the third actor to receive Oscar *and* Razzie nominations for the same role. (The first two were Yentl's Amy Irving and Only When I Laugh's James Coco, both in the early 1980s.) This also marks the eighth time she has been nominated for an Oscar; if she fails to win it, she will tie Peter O'Toole for the most acting Oscar nominations without a win.

Lakeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya are the first two black actors to be nominated in the same category for the same film. (Non-black actors have done this repeatedly over the years, e.g. the three supporting-actor nominations for The Godfather.)

Viola Davis now has more acting nominations (four) than any other black actress, and she is the first black woman to be nominated for best actress twice. Between her and Andra Day, this also marks the second time that two black women were nominated for best actress at the same time; the first time this happened was way back in 1973, when Diana Ross and Cicely Tyson were nominated. (Interestingly, both Ross and Day were nominated for playing Billie Holiday.)

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are arguably the first composing duo to be nominated for two film scores in the same year. (Arguably, because Edward Plumb and Paul Smith were nominated for two films in 1943, but in separate categories that have since been combined.)

Chloe Zhao is the first woman ever to receive four nominations in one year, and Emerald Fennell's three nominations tie the previous record, which was set by Sofia Coppola and Fran Walsh (for Lost in Translation and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, both in 2003).

Colette, a nominee for documentary short, was produced by Oculus, a branch of the Facebook corporation, for a video game. This is Facebook's first nomination for an Oscar.

• 2 weeks later...

Borat Subsequent Movie Film breaks record with Oscar nomination
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (UK/USA, 2020) has broken the record for longest title for a film nominated for an Oscar with a staggering 110 characters. . . .
The previous record holder for longest title for a film nominated for an Oscar was Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes (UK, 1965) with 85 characters.
It was nominated for one Oscar, Best Writing Story and Screenplay - Written Directly for the Screen at the ceremony in Santa Monica, California, USA on 18 April 1966, but did not go on to win.
GuinnessWorldRecords.com, March 19

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hmmm. This is the tally *I* have (not counting guild winners that don't have Oscar nominations in the respective categories, and not counting short films, animated films, documentary films, or "international" films):

Guild awards relevant to 4 Oscar categories

• Ma Rainey's Black Bottom -- Screen Actors Guild (actor, actress); Costume Designers Guild (period); Make-up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild (period/character make-up, period/character hair styling)

Guild awards relevant to 2 Oscar categories

• Mank -- American Society of Cinematographers; Art Directors Guild (period), Set Decorators Society (period)
  • Mulan -- Costume Designers Guild (fantasy); Visual Effects Society (created environment)
  • Nomadland -- Producers Guild; Directors Guild
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 -- Screen Actors Guild (ensemble); ACE Eddies

Guild awards relevant to 1 Oscar category

• Borat Subsequent Moviefilm -- Writers Guild (adapted screenplay)
  • Eurovision Song Contest -- Society of Lyricists and Composers (original song)
  • Greyhound -- Motion Picture Sound Editors
  • Judas and the Black Messiah -- Screen Actors Guild (supporting actor)
  • The Midnight Sky -- Visual Effects Society (visual effects, model)
  • Minari -- Screen Actors Guild (supporting actress)
  • The One and Only Ivan -- Visual Effects Society (animated character)
  • Pinocchio -- Make-up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild (special make-up effects)
  • Promising Young Woman -- Writers Guild (original screenplay)
  • Soul -- Society of Lyricists and Composers (original score)
  • Sound of Metal -- Cinema Audio Society
  • Tenet -- Art Directors Guild (fantasy), Set Decorators Society (fantasy)

For whatever that's worth.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway