Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Not to promote Marilyn but he also has this information posted on his website. I am sure he is proud.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will need time to get used to this version of the Oompa Loompa...For me, the quintessential Oompa Loompa will forever be an orange midget with a tight green fro.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

• 1 month later...
Trailer #2 is up and running. It just occurred to me that Johnny Depp kinda resembles Kathy Lee Gifford in this trailer. Maybe there will be a whole subtext to the story about how the Oompa Loompa's are essentially sweat shop labor.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The trailer's visually astonishing, no question about that. I like the artistic design. I'm interested to see if they'll keep all the little scenes during the hunt for the Golden Tickets that we saw in the old movie (the one that sticks out in my mind is the lady whose husband is held for ransom... biggrin.gif ). I'm wary of Johnny Depp in this role - he's pretty ditzy. Gene Wilder just seemed crazy, not stupid - always very sure of himself, even when he was putting shoes in a vat of candy.

I noticed that they've got Mrs. Beauregarde accompanying Violet in the factory, rather than Mr. Beauregarde. Not sure I like that, I thought the "used car salesman" angle added a lot to his character and to the group as a whole. I hope Mrs. Teevee is still a stuck-up schoolteacher who thinks she knows everything (and yet can't tell the difference between Mozart and Rachmaninoff!!). I like the new take on Mike with the violent videogames and such.

~Mark

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

I noticed that they've got Mrs. Beauregarde accompanying Violet in the factory, rather than Mr. Beauregarde. Not sure I like that, I thought the "used car salesman" angle added a lot to his character and to the group as a whole.

Actually, I believe that in Dahl's book it was Mrs. Beauregarde who went to the factory, not Mr. Beauregarde. The Gene Wilder version made tons of revisions and changes to Dahl's story (which is part of the reason why he hated the finished product so much).

Edited by Mister Jeff

Plus, it was his screenplay, fresh off the narrative genius that is Diamonds Are Forever.

I never learn. Despite the fact that Tim Burton's films never seem to have the attention to detail paid to narrative coherence that they do to visuals, I'm quite excited for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[imdb check] As Gene Wilder's Wonka would say, "Strike that. Reverse it." It was You Only Live Twice, and there were four release years between them. [/imdb check]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got to see the latest trailer before a weekend showing of Madagascar - I'm feeling a little more interested in this now; not quite so ready to dismiss it out of hand.

The mental trick I need to make is to get Gene Wilder (and to a lesser extent the original child actors) out of my mind, and come to this as a fresh interpretation of the material. With that in mind, I found the glimpses of the new film to be intriguing enough to draw me in...

- Depp - I think his Wonka still looks way too young. But the quirkiness of the character (at least the little we saw in the trailer) amused me.

- The Factory - wow... what a set.

- The Glass Elevator... nice implementation of that (relatively minor) part of the story

- "Why is everything here pointless?" "It's like candy - it doesn't need to have a point." OK, that's not an exact quote, but it's as close as I could remember.

We'll see.... we'll see....

B

Edited by Bill Moore
Dahl hated the previous version? I find that strange given that he extensively participated in the first movie and added content (such as the fizzy lifting drinks scene).

From what I understand, he wrote the original screenplay, but then it went through the rewrite process and changes were made that really upset him (according to the the IMDB trivia, which is generally pretty accurate).

Dahl hated the previous version? I find that strange given that he extensively participated in the first movie and added content (such as the fizzy lifting drinks scene).

From what I understand, he wrote the original screenplay, but then it went through the rewrite process and changes were made that really upset him (according to the the IMDB trivia, which is generally pretty accurate).

I have no link or any supporting info to back up the claim, but this sounds right ... I remember reading years ago that Dahl was unhappy with the finished product despite his participation, felt it lost the spirit of his book. FWIW.

Probably the fact that Wonka assures Charlie at the end that the bratty kids were unharmed didn't sit well with Dahl ...

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Dahl's world is twisted and weird. I enjoyed the Charlie books, but I am very turned off by his approach to adults, especially in James and the Giant Peach...

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
I find that strange given that he extensively participated in the first movie and added content (such as the fizzy lifting drinks scene).

I think I remember that scene being in the original book.

~Mark

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

• 1 month later...

The first half-hour is so good, I cried. Literally. At least one tear streamed down each of my cheeks. Noah Taylor and Helena Bonham Carter are so good as Charlie's parents, and David Kelly (Waking Ned Devine) so good as the grandfather, and all the characters are so giving and loving that I just wanted to spend the day in their cramped, skewed, little home.

And it was good to see AnnaSophia Robb on the big screen again, and to be able to impress my 11-year-old friend by telling her that I had "met" Robb on the Because of Winn-Dixie junket. (Come to that, I had a private 15-minute conversation with Bonham Carter ten years ago, too, when she was promoting Margaret's Museum here in Canada -- check page 3 of this PDF file -- but I forgot to mention that to my friend until afterwards.)

But even as I let the tears spill, I suspected the fun would come to an end once we entered Wonka-land. And, um, it did -- at least for me.

But since I have never read the book and have never cared for the Gene Wilder film, I am probably not the best person to comment on this. I do wonder, though -- did the Willy Wonka of either of those versions have unresolved issues to deal with, concerning his relationship with his father (played here by Christopher Lee)? This felt like a bit of unnecessary revisionist backstory-writing -- kind of like what happened to the Grinch in Ron Howard's movie -- but I could be wrong.

I do know I was surprised to see that the lyrics to all the Oompa Loompa songs were credited to Roald Dahl, even as the music was credited to Danny Elfman. I guess all the songs the Oompa Loompas sing after the demises of the various children were there in the original book? (And possibly in the earlier film, too? If so, I've forgotten 'em.)

And all the pre-release buzz about Johnny Depp resembling Michael Jackson actually distracted me from trying to appreciate his performance on its own merits. I kept thinking Michael, Michael, Michael ...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Actually, I believe that in Dahl's book it was Mrs. Beauregarde who went to the factory, not Mr. Beauregarde.

No, in the book each child except Charlie brings along both his or her parents.

In the book, Wonka describes testing Fizzy Lifting Drinks on an Oompa-Loompa who won't burp and hence never comes back to earth. None of the factory visitors ever get a chance to sample the product.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Ah, but I remember the first edition of the book, in which the Oompa-Loompas were...

African pygmies.

This caused all sorts of hullabaloo about a depiction of a situation a little too near slavery for comfort, and the Oompa-Loompas were changed to golden-haired flower children in later editions.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

But since I have never read the book and have never cared for the Gene Wilder film, I am probably not the best person to comment on this.  I do wonder, though -- did the Willy Wonka of either of those versions have unresolved issues to deal with, concerning his relationship with his father (played here by Christopher Lee)?  This felt like a bit of unnecessary revisionist backstory-writing -- kind of like what happened to the Grinch in Ron Howard's movie -- but I could be wrong.

No Peter, you're right. None of this is in the book. angry.gif

You're impressions of the film are exactly what I was expecting. I never cared for the old film either. Though, I thought Wilder was pretty good as Wonka. I'm thinking that this film is going to be the exact opposite for me (I'll like most of it, except Depp's Wonka).

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I forgot to mention that the Christopher-Lee-as-Johnny-Depp's-father-figure stuff here reminded me of Vincent Price's performance in Edward Scissorhands.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

No, Lee played the menacing New York judge at the beginning of Sleepy Hollow.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I loved it. It is one of Burton's best, I think. I loved Edward Scissorhands, and this made me think that Burton is back on top again. Depp is wonderfully weird in the film. Freddie Highmore has great innocence in his face, and does a fine job. The sets are beautiful. The oompa loompas are very strange and funny. Between Depp and the oompas, there were plenty of laughs.

People may complain about the end -

too sentimental, too quick and easy

- but I was very satisfied.

It's interesting that the first film was called Willy Wonka and..., but was more about Charlie, and this one is called Charlie... (as the book is), but is as much about Wonka as about Charlie.

This works as a kids movie. I don't think it is too weird that they wouldn't like it.

Now this is truly bizarre. Because Wells only saw the first 35 minutes, and the first 35 minutes (I timed it) are PERFECT. That's because Johnny Depp doesn't show up to ruin the picture until about the 35-minute mark.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook