The Arts and Faith Scripture in Film Index

Job 1:21 - Now, Voyager (1942) - quoted

Dr. Jasquith: Remember what it says in the Bible, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psalm 22:1 - Naked (1993) - reference

Johnny: [while reading the Bible] F***in' hell, why *hast* thou forsaken me? Bastard.

Okay, Ron, I gotta ask -- where are you getting these??! You have more posts in this one thread in just one day than a lot of people have here in total! And, seriously, have you been stashing these somewhere, just waiting for a thread like this to come along? (Not only that, but it's 1 AM in Vancouver!)

Don't get me wrong... this is great, but sheesh -- Now I have a list to manage! How am I going to keep up with you?

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

I suspect this is related to Ron's book, hence the high post volume...

either that or just cos it's fun...

(although less so if you have to sift through the dretgs left by Ron and PTC)

However,

Three Colours Blue: 1 Corinthians 13

And I can't for the life of me think of the films that quote Psalm 23 though I watched one just recently.

I propose we exclude all Bible films, or else they will just muddy the waters far too much, even where (like the Passion and Jesus of Nazareth they quote Isaiah 53 or 55 or some other bit). There are also a stack of New testament quotes / references in the Ten Commandments (1956)

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Had to go away and check this but

Song of Songs 5:10-16 - Once Upon A Time In America (1984)

Song of songs is also quoted in Genesis: Creation and Flood, and Gitai's Esther - but I just said we should exclude those.

Matt

If someone has a Magnolia DVD, skip to the part where Donnie Smith is throwing up into the toilet at the bar. He quotes another verse from Exodus under his breath. Something about the sins of the father visited upon the son.

I don't own the DVD (yet), otherwise I'd be able to tell you.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

there are a couple of quotes (with verse citation) in The Shawshank Redemption in a scene where the warden is searching Andy's room. I'll hunt up the scene when I get a chance, but if someone has the time on their hands, feel free to beat me to the punch.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Okay, Ron, I gotta ask -- where are you getting these??!

Scanned viewing notes for my book. And poked around in IMDb. And had some time on my hands.

You have more posts in this one thread in just one day than a lot of people have here in total!

Some people have lives. I have lists.

Not to mention, Page still has more posts than I do.

(Not only that, but it's 1 AM in Vancouver!)

See above.

Don't get me wrong... this is great, but sheesh -- Now I have a list to manage!

It's payback time. Teach you to attack my reading of THE MAN WHO PLANTED TREES. Vengeance is mine...

How am I going to keep up with you?

Fear not. The onslaught has passed. I'm sure others will occur to me, but I've pretty much exhausted my ready sources.

Have we already mentioned the "When I was a child, I spoke as a child..." scene in The Crying Game?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Here are the one's I alluded to above from Shawshank:

Andy quotes, then the Warden gives chapter and verse - Mark 13:35

Warden quotes, then Andy gives chapter and verse - John 8:12

(found in chapter 14 "Cell Toss" on the DVD)

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 2 weeks later...

ANDREI RUBLEV

ANDREI (Voice over, as Andrei cleans his nails, then walks around the cathedral, looking at the white walls): When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, and charity, but the greatest of these is charity. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and have not charity, (CUT to burnt wood, feathers falling), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, (CUT to Prince at palace, with machine), and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, (CUT to ANDREI outside, feathers falling), it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not, (bends to look at a plant), charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, (squirted in the face with milk), seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth, (CUT to interior, princess running) beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things...

ANDREI (speaking to princess): Charity never faileth. But whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part."

In case anyone is wondering, I know the list needs updating -- I'll try to catch up in the next day or two...

EDIT: There... caught up for now.

Edited by Tim Willson

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Had to go away and check this but

Song of Songs 5:10-16 - Once Upon A Time In America (1984)

Song of songs is also quoted in Genesis: Creation and Flood, and Gitai's Esther - but I just said we should exclude those.

Matt

Matt, is the Song of Songs passage quoted, referred to by chapter and verse, or quoted with chapter and verse? Can you recall?

Also, I don't mind including quotes from Bible films, as long as it isn't just a line of dialogue (Bible as script) but is a clear quotation of Scripture.

I can't be certain, but I think it wasn't referrenced chapter and verse.

As for the bible references things, so are you saying basically that all of Jesus of Nazareth would be excluded except for the quote from Isaiah?

Matt

EDIT: There... caught up for now.

Confirming Matt's observation that I Cor 13 is the front-runner in this particular derby! I'll be following up the ANDREI RUBLEV most obvious quote with the ANDREI RUBLEV least obvious quote in the next couple days. Anybody remember? And there are three (count 'em, three!) coming from STALKER...

P.S. I think we oughta list the ANDREI RUBLEV date as 1966. I know IMDb gives 1969, but why on earth? Filming was completed in 1966, its first screening was in 1966. Second screening at Cannes in 1969, but why should that take priority? It was also the most limited possible run (one showing), and indeed was further from the longer original version, which (with the Criterion release and recent arthouse tour of the long version) is now pretty much the ANDREI RUBLEV of record. 1966, I say!

Great topic. "Casualties of War", Sean Penn intentionally misquotes the 23rd Psalm to Michael J. Fox. Something to the effect of "... I will fear no evil because I'm the baddest m_____ f_____-er in the jungle.".

"The Outlaw Josey Wales", Clint Eastwood breaking down over his wife and childrens' graves "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.".

Also, doesn't the title card in "The Passion of the Christ" say "... by his stripes we are healed."?

Ton of scriptures quoted in To End All Wars. Can't think of any of them.

Mr. Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) in Ferris Bueller's Day Off quotes Job 14:1-2 (NASB):

Man, who is born of woman,

Is short-lived and full of turmoil.

Like a flower he comes forth and withers

He also flees like a shadow and does not remain.

At the end of The Great Dictator, Chaplin's Jewish barber [!] quotes Luke 17:21, with a chapter reference:

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

If someone has a Magnolia DVD, skip to the part where Donnie Smith is throwing up into the toilet at the bar. He quotes another verse from Exodus under his breath. Something about the sins of the father visited upon the son.

I don't own the DVD (yet), otherwise I'd be able to tell you.

Good catch! It's a very brief scene, at 1:55:29. In voice-over, pretty muffled, but he says "...Hamlet to Claudius. 'The sins of the father laid upon the children' is Merchant of Venice but borrowed from Exodus 20:5..."

I figured that out by digging up a copy of the shooting script. It contains dialogue at the bar which is not included in the released cut of the film, which I'll include below. I'm guessing Anderson filmed the bar dialogue, but when the Exodus reference got edited out, he used that scrap of dialogue as a voice-over in the toilet.

Starting at 1:27:47...

DONNIE

I used to be smart but now I'm just stupid.

THURSTON

Shall we drink to that?

Not included in the released cut of the film...

Donnie looks to the television for a moment, starts to tear up,

CAMERA pushes in slow to an EXTREME CLOSE UP. He repeats line's from

his days on "What Do Kids Know?" and does his best Jimmy immitation;

DONNIE

"If a brick weighs one pound plus one

half brick -- how much does the brick weigh?"

"Well if subtracting the half of brick from

the whole brick you got one half of brick,

equals one pound so therefore the brick

equals two pounds --" "A little more than

kin and less than kind," is Hamlet to Claudius.

"The sins of the father laid upon the children,"

is Merchant of Venice but borrowed from Exodus

20:5 and "win her with gifts if she respects not

words," is Two Gentleman from Verona.

Where? Who? How and Why, Kids?

THURSTON

"Why don't you shut the f*** up," is me to you,

Chapter Right Here, Verse Right Now.

Mark 8:36 - Nixon.

Have to say I thought it kind of goes against what the film attempts to do, though.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

ANDREI RUBLEV

I Corinthians 11:1-17

1:29:47

(A breaking sound, the image of thick dark paint thrown onto a white wall. Andrei smears it with his hand, distraught. Perhaps he whispers something.)

DANIL: Seryoga.

SERYOGA: What?

D: Read the Scriptures.

S: From where?

D: From wherever you like.

S: (Reading) Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things and keep the ordinances as I delivered them to you. (A woman runs in from outside

It must be cold in hell today ...

Well, it was sunny up here in Canada!

But in any case, that one has been cited - it just shows up at the bottom of the list, as a Misquote rather than a quote.