2006 Winter Olympics

That is pretty cool. Though I was also impressed with the French Lalique crystal in a recent Winter Games as well.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• 2 months later...

Woo hoo! Canada wins our first Gold of the games in Women's Freestyle Moguls!

I love the Winter Olympics.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

And the US now has it's first gold -- speedskating 5000m

Michelle Kwan is out. Her new rink is a couple blocks from my church. Artesia will be saddened.

US women had an easy win in first round of hockey.

I see we also got Au and Ag in halfpipe.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Hearing this story on NPR this morning made me cry:

Joey Cheek, a 26 year old speed skater, won his Olympic event, the 500-meter speed skating race, then went to the press conference, told the reporters to stop writing the fluffy, Olympic dreams come true, Valentines-day, fluffy happy story, because he wanted to take the time to talk about Africa.

Edited by Bosanka
I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine and a believer in grace over karma. -Bono
ON another topic, was anyone else as disappointed in the opening ceremonies as I? I CAN'T believe they used "Imagine", which (ironically) is a very divisive song. And that music during the parade of nations! Ay carumba!

I don't understand the value of televising the opening and closing ceremonies. I don't watch them as a rule. I made exceptions for Muhammed Ali and Rafer Johnson in recent years.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

But just look at the raw materials with which they have to work.

Here's U.S. speed skater Shani Davis on why he elected not to participate in the team (note that word carefully, sports fans) pursuit race: "I worked to be here. None of my teammates worked to get me here. My dream was to be a short-track and long-track skater, not to skate in the pursuit. People can say what they want. I'm upset that they're upset. I've been skating since I was 6. This is the fruit of all the labor I put in for years. It's my choice, and I choose not to. The only things I care about are the 1,000 and the 1,500."

There's no "I" in "Team" you say? You wanna bet?

I see your point, OTOH, having competed in an individual sport in the past (Track & Field, though I did well in a particular relay), I have some sympathy here. First of all, this is a new Olympic event as of this year. Second, there are guys dedicated to that event, it is not just about speed, but grouping and the guys dedicated to the event were not as well grouped on the last two laps of the quarters as they should have been; would additional solo skaters in the mix have helped? Finally, his focus on the events he qualified for is important, doing pursuit could conceivably cut into his planned regimen and cut down on his rest. One of the events starts 48 hrs after the semis today. Not everyone is cut out to be a five event guy. Davis sees himself as a two event guy. What is wrong with that?

Then there's U.S. figureskater Johnny Weir, who in one of those Up Close and Personal interviews described the tempo of a competitor's short program as "a vodka-shot, let's-snort-coke kind of thing." He concluded, "I'm not for everyone. I'm me. I don't front. I don't put on a face. I don't make statements just to make them. I mean every word I say, regardless if it's offensive or mean-spirited. I'm not going to sugar coat it." So bravely, quintessentially American, n'est pas? I'm me, and if you don't like it, fuck you. No wonder the rest of the world perceives us as boorish and arrogant.

We are getting old, my friend. This doesn't sound too much different than Joe Namath way back when (remember his "memoires" ca. 1969, I Can't Wait For Tomorrow Because I Get Better Looking Every Day?). Weir is 21 and senses that he is about to break through. I'm trying to think of the name of the champion Discus thrower in 1976 who made it his mission to go soft on the Cold War aspects of the Track & Field competition that year. Among other things, he controversially stated that it didn't matter who won, even who won his event.

Finally, we have downhill/slalom/giant slalom skiing "legend" Bode Miller, the face of the U.S. Winter Olympic team, who has been a certified bust thus far, failing to win a medal in his two competitions, and being disqualified from the combined event on Tuesday after he decided to ski through rather than around a gate. Here's Bode:

"This year I just want to enjoy myself. I could give up tomorrow without having the slightest regret. I could keep away from this world for a year and then perhaps start to feel the desire to prove something to myself again."

After tanking twice and missing a gate (this is not usually a "decision", though I did not see the DQ myself), what else is he going to say? There was an awful lot of hype surrounding him in the lead up to the Olympics. Sadly, Americans rarely sustain success in Alpine skiing at the Olympics. We often have some kid come out of nowhere, like Legete, or Miller in '02.

Maybe this set of quotes will put Miller in a more rounded light:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/16/0...6.4i9k8xts.html

Edited by Rich Kennedy

We are getting old, my friend. This doesn't sound too much different than Joe Namath way back when (remember his "memoires" ca. 1969, I Can't Wait For Tomorrow Because I Get Better Looking Every Day?). Weir is 21 and senses that he is about to break through.

Andy was being kind. He left out the parts where Weir dismisses his critics as "Republicans" and invites them to "eat it." Namath was brash but not vulgar.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Well, yeah, calling someone a Republican is pretty vulger.

Unless he is one.

Here's more on Weir.

It doesn't take much to shake up the average figure skater. Takes even less to rattle a self-described "princessy" one who complained the minute he came to the village that there was no room service, the bed was hard and there was dust on the floor of his room. ...

One of his less memorable quotes was that he would urinate if he won a medal. ...

"I was terrified today. I wasn't comfortable and that's why I was so scared," Weir said. ...

"I didn't feel my aura," he said. "I was black inside."

Oh yeah, he's sounding more like Joe Namath all the time.

Edited by mrmando

Darrel Manson wrote:

: Well, yeah, calling someone a Republican is pretty vulger.

Heh. Reminds me of this quote:

'He called me a German and other filthy names'

-- Defendant in the Middlesex Police Court, 1915

From the back cover of Geoffrey Hughes's Swearing: A Social History of Foul Language, Oaths and Profanity in English (Blackwell, 1991).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Andy was being kind. He left out the parts where Weir dismisses his critics as "Republicans" and invites them to "eat it." Namath was brash but not vulgar.

Fair enough, but Namath was more than brash even though he was never princessey (nor would he give shoulder the way Weir did after his short program). But just as Weir and Miller stood in for modern atheletes on Andy's post, there were plenty of poseurs and ne'er do wells that came off similarly in the context of the late '60's and '70's. What makes me angry at Weir is not what he says and how he vamps, so much as the way he tanked last night in the long program. He clearly did not step up like any good athelete would. Many who were behind him certainly did. That is much more damning of a competitor.

Namath and Ali had the achievements to go with the cockiness. A lot of athletes don't. (Brian Bosworth, anyone?)

I was glad to see that Buttle, Lysacek and Savoie battled back after their problems in the short program. I thought Buttle and Savoie had the most artistic and idiosyncratic material in that event, although they both had technical problems. Loved Savoie's choice of "Adagio for Strings." Didn't see the free skate, though.

More on Joey Cheek -

He will be heading to Zambia in April on a humanitarian mission for Right to Play, the organization he donated his $40,000 prize money to (he donated his silver medal prize money as well). Apparently he

I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine and a believer in grace over karma. -Bono

Along with Joey Cheek:

Hughes gives life savings to charity

TURIN (Reuters) - Canadian speedskater Clara Hughes will empty her bank account and give all the money to charity, the 5,000 meters gold medallist said on Saturday.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

The gold medal hockey game was really well-played and exciting. The North American olympic hockey teams really were outplayed and outclassed. The Americans, for example, probably would have done better with college amateurs than the dinosaurs they took.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------