Man of Steel (2013)

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another photo that, uh, well.

supes.png

This photo makes me some potential in the colour scheme and the big s-shield. While I still don't like the wrinkles and the scaly armour (why does Superman need armour again?), the colour scheme and the crest are reminiscent of Max Fleischer's Superman, no?

The shade of blue and the size of the crest are reminiscent of Fleischer's cartoons, but the design of the Shield itself is from what's known in comics circles as the Earth-2 Superman.

Earth-2 Superman at wikipedia

The Fleischer Superman had a very different S-shield: Fleishersuperman.jpg

That picture makes the suit look terrible. Not a fan of those details.

I don't know...it's slightly better than the armor for the comics version.

It's a TON better than the armor for the new comics version.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

CrimsonLine wrote:

: The Fleischer Superman had a very different S-shield . . .

Apparently the Fleischer cartoons mark the first time that the S-shield was diamond-shaped. Prior to that it was a simple triangle, or something else entirely (and the colours weren't exactly consistent, either):

Action1SupermanShieldDetailSmall.jpgSuperman04.jpg

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Shannon talks to Moviefone and The Playlist about wearing a mo-cap suit to play General Zod, etc.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Ayelet Zurer Now Playing Superman’s Kryptonian Mother

EXCLUSIVE: Superman is getting a new mom. Ayelet Zurer, the Israeli actress who starred in Angels & Demons and who played the wife of Avner (Eric Bana) in Munich, has been set to play the role of Lara Lor-Van, Superman’s Kryptonian mother, in Man of Steel. Production is underway on the Warner Bros/Legendary film. That role was originally going to be played by Julia Ormond. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, September 25

Set pictures are now up at The Daily Mail of Russell Crowe in costume as Jor-El. Here's one of them:

article-2045201-0E381B5F00000578-5_468x805.jpg

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
  • 4 weeks later...

Set pics are coming in showing a bearded Cavill as Superman.

I know Supes is a big guy in the comics, but one of the things I like about previous film incarnations is that Superman isn't exactly macho. These pics make him look like Wolverine, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

(FWIW, if Superman really does travel the world trying to find his calling, this could be one of those kinds of scenes--like Lamott Cranston in The Shadow or, I dunno, Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins. That's my assumption, since we've seen the beardless-and-besuited Superman elsewhere).

• 5 months later...

A new logo has been revealed. I'm pretty sure it has a Nike Swoosh in it.

man-of-steel-2012-logo-superman-zack-snyder-henry-cavill-christopher-nolan.jpg

I like it. The swooshing lines inside give it a feeling of flowing motion, but very different from the metallic look of the Superman Returns logo.

• 3 months later...

I saw the teaser in front of Dark Knight Rises last night, and more than anything, it reminded me of that jeans commercial that ripped off George Washington. I mean that in a good way, I think.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

It is very Batman Begins, but I'm kind of digging it. It's certainly not as hyperactive as I had feared.

Yes. It gives me the impression that they are gearing away from a film that is "superheroey" and shooting towards something that is more meaningful, thoughtful, and artful, than many of the recent crop of superhero movies. Which I'd think is a good thing.

The most striking thing about the trailer, for me, is the way it steers very, very clear of any hint of the John Williams music that has characterized all previous films in this franchise (even the 2006 semi-reboot).

But then, I find myself asking why they chose the music from that scene in The Fellowship of the Ring where Frodo sheds a tear over the death of Gandalf?

I hope whoever is scoring this thing at least has a nod to the Williams theme. During the part in the trailer where it would fit best, I like that there is no music, though.

Even though the trailer isn't showing it, I still think it'll be every bit as "superhero-ey" as anything else in the genre. Honestly, I would have it no other way.

Edited by bloop

The trailer points to the aspirational nature of the Superman character - as did the whole Superman Returns film - and the Jon Kent version hints that Superman may be an aspirational figure to Clark Kent, as well. I like that idea. But I also know that Zach Snyder is directing this film. Sigh. What does Snyder look to as aspirational? I just don't know.

If they do it right, this movie could have all the redemption that SDG looked for in The Dark Knight Rises.

I hope whoever is scoring this thing at least has a nod to the Williams theme. During the part in the trailer where it would fit best, I like that there is no music, though.

As to the music, Snyder commented on that at the SDCC:

This film won't be using the iconic John Williams Superman theme. They had to act as if no other Superman movie had been made. Hans Zimmer is currently at work on the score.

Bloop said:

:Even though the trailer isn't showing it, I still think it'll be every bit as "superhero-ey" as anything else in the genre. Honestly, I would have it no other way.

Sure it will have some "superhero-ey" elements. It will have to. But the trailer also implies something different from the current crop of Superhero movies.

Crimsonline said:

:The trailer points to the aspirational nature of the Superman character - as did the whole Superman Returns film - and the Jon Kent version hints that Superman may be an aspirational figure to Clark Kent, as well. I like that idea. But I also know that Zach Snyder is directing this film. Sigh. What does Snyder look to as aspirational? I just don't know.

If they do it right, this movie could have all the redemption that SDG looked for in The Dark Knight Rises.

I had some very similar thoughts. Yet, linked to what I've said above, to my understanding Snyder tried to do something different and thoughtful with the superhero genre when he made Watchmen, even if the result was troubling or distasteful to many (I haven't seen the film - just going from what I've read). This tells me that he's willing and able to buck the trends and shoot for a film that has more to it than many current superhero movies do. So then my question would be as to whether or not he'll try to do this with this film while still staying close to the Superman ethos. In this regard I find the trailer encouraging.

New teaser trailers are out. They look amazing, but Superman always makes for good trailers. The Superman Returns teaser trailer should be in the pantheon of Great Trailers for Mediocre Movies, along with the first trailers for Garden State and Prometheus.

You will believe a man can fish.

Edward Curtis

Morgantown, WV

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who created his profession. Sirach 38:1 NAB